Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer 2015 Transfer Window General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Di Marzio saying Cech to Arsenal is close to completion. £7 million fee.

http://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/news-en/arsenal-can-close-the-deal-for-chelsea-gk-cech-in-next-few-days/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Anyone even considering paying 30million for Delofeu is mental. He's worth about 3...

A Delofeu without the "La Masia" label wouldnt go for more than €3 million and even that is too much.

The guy is now...21/22? and hasnt had a decent, long run of first team football in any other team than Barca B.

Overhyped, just like his release clause if that is the reported 30 million.

Ryo Miyaichi signed a 3 year deal for Sankt Pauli.

His 1/2 season on loan at Feyenoord did promise a lot, was a joy to watch but last season on loan at Twente he only played for Twente II in the Jupiler league. So of to the 2nd Bundesliga he is

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

And he's not exactly a spring chicken.

Not many around better than him though!

He's a goalkeeper. Even at 33 he easily has 4-5 years left in him. Utd signed van der Sar when he was 34 and got 6 years out of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Paully D wrote: »
    Big fee IMO. Despite being an excellent goalkeeper, he's 2nd choice at his club and only has 1 year left on his contract.

In the grand scheme I don't think the fee is huge - selling to a rival, he's still probably in the top 6/7 goalkeepers in the game at present - he'd likely be starting for any team that didn't have Courtois or De Gea on the books.
    And he's not exactly a spring chicken.

Not many around better than him though!

33 is prime for a keeper. He's got probably 3 years at the top left and another 4 as an able deputy.

Good signing for the club, makes sense and hopefully WS will learn a few things from him that might kick him on to the next level so he's able to step in and take over from Cech eventually.

****e on Ospina though, hardly did much wrong and looks likely he'll be off. Personally don't think he's up to the top level though. He'd suit a Spurs or the like. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

7m is very, very good business for a keeper of that calibre imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

What will Wenger do with 4 world class goalkeepers now though?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Don't think keeper is their biggest priority really. Centre back and left back are bigger issues i feel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Don't think keeper is their biggest priority really. Centre back and left back are bigger issues i feel

It's not, but world class players aren't available that cheap very often.

Harsh on Ospina because I think he's done well but it's part of the process of making that transition to genuine title threat.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Cech is an absolute bargain at that price by today's prices

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

At centre back there Kos, Metersacker, Gabriel, Chambers plus Monreal and Debuchy can fill in when there is a real crisis.

With Monreal and Gibbs fighting for the left back spot, don't think there is much room for an addition there either ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

zerks wrote: »

Wonder what this means for Kyle Walker??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Monreal's had a great season, definitely not a weakness anymore.

greendom wrote: »
    At centre back there Kos, Metersacker, Gabriel, Chambers plus Monreal and Debuchy can fill in when there is a real crisis.

With Monreal and Gibbs fighting for the left back spot, don't think there is much room for an addition there either ?
    They're fine in those positions to stand still. But if they wanna make the transition to a genuine threat to win the big 2, they need to go from very good players to world class players. Nobody could understand why Chelsea didn't stand by Lukaku at the time because he is clearly a very good player. Who would question it now, given that Lukaku was reportedly unwilling to be less than 1st choice.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

slingerz wrote: »
    Wonder what this means for Kyle Walker??

It means he can stop being ****, or he'll lose his spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

CSF wrote: »
    They're fine in those positions to stand still. But if they wanna make the transition to a genuine threat to win the big 2, they need to go from very good players to world class players. Nobody could understand why Chelsea didn't stand by Lukaku at the time because he is clearly a very good player. Who would question it now, given that Lukaku was reportedly unwilling to be less than 1st choice.
    Would you say Arsenal's defence is any worse than Manchester City's? I wouldn't. Chelsea are out in front, no doubt, but to challenge I don't see the problem.

Would you say Arsenal's defence is any worse than Manchester City's? I wouldn't. Chelsea are out in front, no doubt, but to challenge I don't see the problem.
    I wouldn't say it is any worse than City's. But I wouldn't see City to be a strong defensive team so that is neither here nor there.

You want to be as strong as you can be. City will undoubtedly be trying to improve too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Biggest "deal" Arsenal needs to make is figuring out how to keep everybody fit for a full season. Now if your players get the crap kicked out of them and get injured, that is bad luck. But i have the idea sometimes that there are just a few to many muscle injuries and the likes.

Dont think they lack players in any position to make the last step and win it.
    They have been missing players for too long periods last season.

Monreal was good but I wouldnt trust it to last really. He has shown how useless he can be before. Chambers is decent but until he can sort his tackling and decision making I wouldn't trust him as anything more than bit part material.

Gibbs is Gibbs. I've never rated him. Rarely ever see him do anything

inforfun wrote: »
    Biggest "deal" Arsenal needs to make is figuring out how to keep everybody fit for a full season. Now if your players get the crap kicked out of them and get injured, that is bad luck. But i have the idea sometimes that there are just a few to many muscle injuries and the likes.

Dont think they lack players in any position to make the last step and win it.
    They have been missing players for too long periods last season.

Everyone has injuries. The strength of the squad determines the impact.

• Advertisement

I think Shad Forsyth has already had an impact on injuries and recovering from them. I'm sure we will continue to see improvements in that area next season

If the equivalent of Cech is available - a truly world Class centre back or left back or in any position come to that, then yes they should be brought in of course.

If the equivalent of Cech is available - a truly world Class centre back or left back or in any position come to that, then yes they should be brought in of course.

Personally I don't think it'd be that much of a stretch to improve on Mertesacker. If funds were made available for that very purpose, it's very doable.

Monreal was good but I wouldnt trust it to last really. He has shown how useless he can be before. Chambers is decent but until he can sort his tackling and decision making I wouldn't trust him as anything more than bit part material.

Gibbs is Gibbs. I've never rated him. Rarely ever see him do anything

Why wouldn't you trust him ? He's had a season of being excellent and has proven himself to be a quality full back. (and personally I thought he was over-criticized before then).

Why wouldn't you trust him ? He's had a season of being excellent and has proven himself to be a quality full back. (and personally I thought he was over-criticized before then).

Had a season of being **** too. Looked hapless at times. 50-50 on him being good this season. For a "top" team, those odds need to be slashed considerably as other contenders wont take that level of risk

Had a season of being **** too. Looked hapless at times. 50-50 on him being good this season. For a "top" team, those odds need to be slashed considerably as other contenders wont take that level of risk

Look at any title winning team; they virtually all have players who aren't world class but do a job and act as a balance to the team.

Chelsea 2015 - Cahill, Willian and Ramires could all arguably be improved upon yet started a large number of matches.

City 2014 - Hart, Clichy, Lescott and Barry all played significant parts

United 2013 - Evans, Valencia, Cleverly and Young all started >18+ matches

The point being; you don't need world class players in every position. You need 3-4 world class, 3-4 very good and 2-3 who do a job for the team. Individually they might be average but in that particular team they do a capable job.

You try for world class in every position; see how Real Madrid got on in the Zidane/Beckham/Ronaldo era. Too many egos.

This here is an excellent read on it; http://arseblog.com/2015/06/window-fitting/

Anyways... back to moar transfer news... Arsenal linked with Benzema today too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

cson wrote: »
    Look at any title winning team; they virtually all have players who aren't world class but do a job and act as a balance to the team.

Chelsea 2015 - Cahill, Willian and Ramires could all arguably be improved upon yet started a large number of matches.

The point being; you don't need world class players in every position. You need 3-4 world class, 3-4 very good and 2-3 who do a job for the team. Individually they might be average but in that particular team they do a capable job.

You try for world class in every position; see how Real Madrid got on in the Zidane/Beckham/Ronaldo era. Too many egos.

This here is an excellent read on it; http://arseblog.com/2015/06/window-fitting/

Great post in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

I would put Joe Hart in the world class bracket. Think he's very underrated because of a few dodgy periods

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I think Ramires started about 14 games for us this year, subbed on in probably another 12, mainly due to his injuries and illness. He certainly is a passenger in what the team is trying to do, hes got a great engine but he cant pass or dribble and his technique ios largely poor. Willian is a better version than him but he certainly wasnt worth the money we paid in the end, his end product is woeful. Cahill is made look better by JT IMO too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

stephenl15 wrote: »
    I would put Joe Hart in the world class bracket. Think he's very underrated because of a few dodgy periods

Hes won 3 golden gloves in 4 or 5 years but I wouldnt say hes world class. Looking at the best GKs in the league I think hes below them slightly but I wouldnt say hes a liability, he does however have more dodgy moments than those keepers in the level above him so thats what people remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Hes won 3 golden gloves in 4 or 5 years but I wouldnt say hes world class. Looking at the best GKs in the league I think hes below them slightly but I wouldnt say hes a liability, he does however have more dodgy moments than those keepers in the level above him so thats what people remember.

I rate Hart but his decision making is the big thing that lets him down. He has a lot of moments where you can almost see him thinking after 'Why did I come for that ball instead of staying?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Joe Hart is not world class.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Joe Hart is not world class.

Which is the point I'm making - he's not but he was good enough to be the starting GK in a title winning side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Which is the point I'm making - he's not but he was good enough to be the starting GK in a title winning side.

I'd put him in the bracket below De Gea, Courtois, and Neuer, but I still feel he's world class.

It's just you seemed to be putting Joe Hart alongside Lescott, Barry and Clichy when he is far better than them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I'd put him in the bracket below De Gea, Courtois, and Neuer, but I still feel he's world class.

De Gea, Neuer and Courtois would walk into the team at all the top clubs in the world. Hart wouldn't. He's a very good keeper, but he's not world class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Speaking of average players how the hell in John Obi Mikel still at Chelsea? He's absolutely stealing a living at Chelsea. Awful footballer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

glued wrote: »
    Speaking of average players how the hell in John Obi Mikel still at Chelsea? He's absolutely stealing a living at Chelsea. Awful footballer.

Nonsense. Hes massively underrated by everyone except the people who manage him who have all considered him an important player in their squads.

Hart is similar level to Cech IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Jose Mauri off to Fiorentina by the looks of it.

He will be an absolute bargain for whoever gets him, so much potential and already a full season as a starter under his belt and for free because Parma haven't paid his wages in a year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

Carlos Tevez reportedly on his way back to Argentina to sign for Boca.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33198402

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Watford looking 20m for troy deeney. Mad season has officially begun

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Watford looking 20m for troy deemed. Mad season has officially begun

That's really code for 'we don't want to sell. Piss off.' though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Looks like james mclean is getting another crack at premiership football, west brom appear to be signing him.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

klose wrote: »
    Looks like james mclean is getting another crack at premiership football, west brom appear to be signing him.

Would suit Pulis' style of football you'd imagine. Hopefully he gets a decent amount of gametime.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

That's really code for 'we don't want to sell. Piss off.' though.

100%. The owners want the clubs to remain in the Premier league and the Deeney Ighalo partnership is central to that.

Pepe Reina to do a medical at Napoli next week.

https://twitter.com/DavidAmoyal/status/612268088747261956

Liverpool have signed Joe Gomez from Charlton.

Nani to Fenerbache gets closer to completion.
    https://twitter.com/Turkish_Futbol/status/612238089168252929

zerks wrote: »
    Nani to Fenerbache gets closer to completion.
    https://twitter.com/Turkish_Futbol/status/612238089168252929

There's a career that went out like a light.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Yet we will retain Young and Valencia. Christ almighty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Yet we will retain Young and Valencia. Christ almighty.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement