Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer 2015 Transfer Window General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Young but quite talented, is blessed with great turn of pace which can get him out of trouble should he play himself into it! Likes a pass out from the back, dunno how Advocaat is with that sort of thing. I'm hoping it's only a season loan but fear a sale.

Cheers.

Advocaat prefers the passing out from the back, hence he dropped O'Shea initially as Kaboul and Coates do that better than him. We're an absolute car crash at the back though, I wouldn't be too happy about him ending up with us on loan if I were a Liverpool fan. He could end up going back a broken man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

RIP FFP.

City have destroyed everyone this window. Chelsea, Arsenal and Utd could all have done at least comparable business, but they failed.

You snooze, you lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

SlickRic wrote: »
    RIP FFP.

City have destroyed everyone this window. Chelsea, Arsenal and Utd could all have done at least comparable business, but they failed.

You snooze, you lose.

Tbf, they got a decent bit of money for Nastasic,Lopes and Negredo, and will have money come in for when Jovetic and Dzeko both leave permanently. Sinclair, Richards, Milner and Lampard all left too so lower wages. So whilst, they've spent high, not sure it's outside realistic realms. I'd say United, Chelsea and Arsenal could also spend that amount if they wanted to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

SlickRic wrote: »
    RIP FFP.

You snooze, you lose.

Loving their aggression tbh. Delighted that FFP is being defeated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Loving their aggression tbh. Delighted that FFP is being defeated.

Why?

Forcing teams to spend within their means should be encouraged, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I think Lucky Lloyd plays poker (or am I thinking of someone else?), so such a concept would be an anathema!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Samir Nasri now linked with Juventus after the De Bruyne signing!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/juventus-eye-samir-nasri-swoop-6354333

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Martial has been released from the French Squad in Clairefontaine for talks with Man Utd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

greendom wrote: »
    Martial has been released from the French Squad in Clairefontaine for talks with Man Utd

Absolutely bonkers deal. He only extended his contract last month for another 4 years. If you're going to throw money at a young French player then you really should be looking at Fekir who will be a far better player than both Martial and Lacazette.

Panic mode well and truly underway at United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

glued wrote: »
    Absolutely bonkers deal. He only extended his contract last month for another 4 years. If you're going to throw money at a young French player then you really should be looking at Fekir who will be a far better player than both Martial and Lacazette.

Panic mode well and truly underway at United.

Its not really an exact science when you're talking about players who are still developing individually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Fekir does look like he could be outstanding, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Knex. wrote: »
    Fekir does look like he could be outstanding, tbh.

That he does but then again hes 3 years older than Martial so its not really a fair comparison at this stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

To be fair here, Man Utd's attack seriously lacks pace and dynamism, Martial certainly has that. He's obviously not the finished product but he will offer Man Utd something which they don't really have in their squad at the moment.

That being said, the transfer fee people are mentioning in regards this deal is completely insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Why?
    Because it just maintains the status Quo so the "big" clubs can never be challenged.
    City and PSG are spending within their means their owners are rich as ****. Nothing wrong with that. It's only when you get a peter ridsale "buying" players on bizarre hire purchase type deals that you get problems. Or if you hire Harry Redknapp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Lacazette is someone everybody wanted there club to sign. But I would have doubts him. Injured this season but when ive seen him he hasn't been very impressive despite his goalscoring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

The transfer fee is indeed insane for potential. Woodward once again showing himself up to be an amateur in this field

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

That being said, the transfer fee people are mentioning in regards this deal is completely insane.

€80m for De Bruyne & €50m for Martial. The premier league teams are just pumped with money & are spending top money on players not yet the finished article.
    People were saying Utd overpaid for Di Maria last summer but he was a lot better a player than De Bruyne is now for the same price.

A number of times in the game you could see the frustration in Benteke telling other players if you are going to knock it long to me at least put in on my chest not over my head.

Lambert played on his own up front he was deemed old and not having the legs to do.

Balotelli played on his own up front was deemed lazy not putting in the effort.

Benteke played on his own up front is not getting the support he needs this season.

Something is wrong with this picture and it's not looking like it's the players..

Repeat with defenders.

Somethings gone wrong here, hasn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Somethings gone wrong here, hasn't it?

Wrong thread :pac:

Oh ye crazy money for Martial who is a very good young player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

daedba2acdb8318c1addf187339e359e_bigger.pngGet French Football ‏@GFN_France now4 seconds ago
    Anthony Martial becomes the most expensive French footballer of all time & the 5th most expensive player of all time with this deal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

ricero wrote: »
    The transfer fee is indeed insane for potential. Woodward once again showing himself up to be an amateur in this field

In what way? Made five signings this summer with the minimum of fuss all for sums which I'd say are very respectable. This deal is mental money in euro terms, it's £40 million though. City just bought Sterling for 49 and De Bruyne for 55.

I have seen Martial play twice and he's hasn't stood out to me but I thought the Sterling fee was huge for what is basically potential. Might be time to reexamine the price of players. £40 million seems to similar to £20 million 3 or 4 seasons ago.

At the end of the day your point about Woodward being an amateur is pretty harsh, I'm pretty sure he would be told by LVG on who he wants and a ball park figure. I doubt Woody pulls a figure out of the air and throws it on the table, seems fairly shrewd in my opinion

ERG89 wrote: »
    €80m for De Bruyne & €50m for Martial. The premier league teams are just pumped with money & are spending top money on players not yet the finished article.
    People were saying Utd overpaid for Di Maria last summer but he was a lot better a player than De Bruyne is now for the same price.

Di Maria was a more proven player than De Bruyne given his exploits with Real Madrid, Benfica and Argentina. However I'm not sure that he's "a lot better" than De Bruyne who, judging by some comments I've seen on here, might surprise a few people with City because he really is excellent.
    If you are to believe certain reports, the overall fee could rise to €75 million for Martial. If you accept that then you would say that De Bruyne at €80 million is a bargain (something nobody should ever say when you are paying €80 million for a footballer.)
    Martial is 100% a talent, he will almost certainly get better and grow to become more influential in games. This isn't just a signing for the future, its a signing for now because he can and will do things that no other player in the Man Utd squad can do. However De Bruyne is the Bundesliga player of the year and City were happy it seems to pay big money to bring in a world class player who wanted to play in England, Man Utd are, for the most part, paying an exorbitant fee for potential.

So then is Martial part of a plan? or just going to lead to ruin?

I've no doubt Man Utd have been planning on signing a striker given who they've let leave from early in this window but I am certain Martial was not top of their striker recruitment list and, looking at that price, they've panicked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Martial reminds me of a young David N'Gog

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

N'Gog, Origi, Henry..

Not sure where this will end up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Americans invest to aid a wounded Europe( football club): the Martial plan :pac:

(shamelessly robbed)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I do think Woodward may be clinging onto his role there based on how certain things have gone this summer.

The Schneiderlin and Darmian signings no doubt look good but having coveted players all summer who could really have a massive impact it looks like they'll end up having completely failed in that regard.

Today is the day for something to have happened IMO with all the European deadlines closing up today so we'll have a better idea then if United have something up their sleeves other than Martial at a complete panic price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Martial is a great signing.....for the tabloid headline writers!!! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I assume he can play in the CL, did he not play in the qualifiers or do they not count towards being tied?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I assume he can play in the CL, did he not play in the qualifiers or do they not count towards being tied?

Qualifiers dont cup tie you any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Qualifers dont count

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,529 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

From the guardian, moses must have some agent.
    Victor Moses is to sign a contract extension at Chelsea before leaving on another season-long loan, most likely to West Ham United.

Martial has no real idea about how Utd play (I imagine though in that regard he is arguably no more hindered than the rest of the squad), he will have no time to adjust and get to know his playing partners and the first match he could play in is against Liverpool who will hopefully be in game-raising mode after the Hammers Horror.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Chelsea could be signing a new doctor to replace Eva Carneiro.They'll have to get Terry neutered if it happens.

2BD61C0E00000578-0-image-a-1_1441013145618.jpg

2BD5F21700000578-0-image-m-21_1441014295512.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Why?

That's not what FFP is really about imo or, at least, its consequences at the sharp end of the game do not relate to such an aim. If FFP was to succeed as designed it would serve to ring fence a limited number of clubs at the top of European football. The concept of sugar daddies is as old as football itself and in my opinion a man / organisation should have the right to buy a football club and run it as they see fit within whatever legislative / tax constraints exist in the jurisdiction concerned.

Moreover though, to take a low / mid level club and bring it to the top table a huge investment upfront is required. City / Chelsea are reaping the benefits of same. As they become more established in a competitive sense their revenues expand and consolidate. In the FFP world a City / Chelsea could not happen. And I say **** that, if someone wants to pay for the dream let them knock themselves out. That's capitalism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

zerks wrote: »
    Chelsea could be signing a new doctor to replace Eva Carneiro.They'll have to get Terry neutered if it happens.

2BD61C0E00000578-0-image-a-1_1441013145618.jpIMG]2BD5F21700000578-0-image-m-21_1441014295512.jp[MG]

Chelsea and Mourinho's treatment of her was disgusting imo and it's a real shame that'll it'll probably be forgotten about once they get another attractive female doctor in to replace her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

United getting really desperate now, signing a 46 year old:

7c3d37092870b601a56f25e1bbd60869.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

United are gonna sign Berahino tomorrow, aren't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

CSF wrote: »
    United are gonna sign Berahino tomorrow, aren't they?

It's looking likely with all the wheeling and dealing going on between them atm

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Can English clubs sign players from the European leagues tomorrow.

Adnan Januzaj to Dortmund on loan seems a weird one, Europa League games and the DFB-Pokal are as good as it'll get for him surely?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Can English clubs sign players from the European leagues tomorrow.

afaik they can but the European clubs cannot replace them by buying someone should they need to.

Quite ridiculous that windows are closing on different days. Should mean Jim White has very little to get excited about, stand by for some terribly strained tension over whether a player from a Championship club will be signed by a League One side and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭me89

Alex song has resigned with West Ham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

afaik they can but the European clubs cannot replace them by buying someone should they need to.

Yep they can indeed. The deadlines are actually for registering players as opposed to buying or selling players. Much like when Depay signed for United in May when the window was closed.

So when a window closes, the league teams simply can't register any more players but are free to offload at will (assuming another team in a different league can register the player).

It's a great point though about replacing players and I think tomorrow might be a quiet enough day. Unless buy-out clauses are met, no European team is going to sell any player unless they either don't want them or are offered crazy money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Quite ridiculous that windows are closing on different days. Should mean Jim White has very little to get excited about, stand by for some terribly strained tension over whether a player from a Championship club will be signed by a League One side and the like.

The FA Fax Machines need a bank holiday too ya know :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

It's panic buying time. Should be interesting who panics the most!

Advertisement