Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer 2015 Transfer Window General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/SkyFootball/status/612273736067231744

City and Chelsea looking at Alex Song,he qualifies as homegrown so that's probably the only reason they are tracking him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Yet we will retain Young and Valencia. Christ almighty.

Already signed Young's replacement, and clearly working on Vals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Yet we will retain Young and Valencia. Christ almighty.

Crazy as it sounds i would rate both of them better then Nani .....

Young as bad as he is does make a effort on the pitch same witch Valencia both do there job ok there not great but i think there better then Nani. Who hasn't cared for a long long time in a Utd shirt. Yes Nani had a good run of games there a few years ago but since then he has done notting what so ever for the team.

I would rather Young as a Squad player witch the extra games this season then Nani at lest he works hard out on the pitch.

While remainder Valencia isn't a winger anymore for utd he is a right back now.

If we get over 8 mil for him where doing extremely well.

https://twitter.com/MirrorFootball/status/612368754576621568

Liverpool 'eye deal for Juventus striker Fernando Llorente as Christian Benteke move stalls'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,655 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I do not rate Llorente very highly. When was he last good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

CSF wrote: »
    I do not rate Llorente very highly. When was he last good?

He's not terrible, but he's a very limited player.

If they have wingers who can whip in a cross and plan on playing very direct he might do a job but to be honest, he's the wrong side of 30, was never particularly fast and has been out of form since he left Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,668 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Is Llorente not more of a target man? Can't see how he would suit Pool's style of play.

Is Llorente not more of a target man? Can't see how he would suit Pool's style of play.

Big olde fashioned battering ram type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

What's up with Liverpool looking for a target man? That's just not their style

zerks wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/SkyFootball/status/612273736067231744

City and Chelsea looking at Alex Song,he qualifies as homegrown so that's probably the only reason they are tracking him.

He's better than West ham in fairness.

• Advertisement

Rodgers seems to have a thing for them though... Lambert at 'Pool, Graham at Swansea...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

He's the spanish Andy Carroll go on Liverpool sign him :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

23 goals in 65 appearances for Juve. Subbed a lot though so better take the minutes he played in account > 4400 which is about 49 full matches.

Scored enough goals for Bilbao under Bielsa who doesnt exactly play hoofball.

All depends on the money you spent on him. Juve had him on a free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Geoffrey Kondogbia has signed for Inter Milan for 40 million euro

CH9j0wLWwAANI1a.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Kind of a sideways move for Kondogbia although he'll probably leave within a year or two again. Fantastic talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

€40m =~£28m - I'd be a bit annoyed as an Arsenal fan if we haven't gone in for him at that price if we are in the market for a player in his position.

I'd imagine we just aren't looking in that position as AW would have seen two very good games from him in the CL against us, so I doubt that its because he doesn't fancy him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

I thought Inter Milan were kind of broke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I thought Inter Milan were kind of broke?

Not any more they got bought well 70% of it about a year and 1/2 ago by some lad from Indonesia and he is worth quite a bit.

So they now have the money to invest in players again.

The same is AC 49% of it was sold there a few months ago and they also have new money to spend as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

They were in a bit of bother with FFP on their last accounts. But sure that looks like it's coming to the end of the road anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

cson wrote: »
    €40m =~£28m - I'd be a bit annoyed as an Arsenal fan if we haven't gone in for him at that price if we are in the market for a player in his position.

I'd imagine we just aren't looking in that position as AW would have seen two very good games from him in the CL against us, so I doubt that its because he doesn't fancy him.

You'd want to be pretty sure about him at that price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Inter overpaid.
    The money they wanted could pay for Schneiderlin.

Sure Krychowiak is being offered up for under €25M and he was in the La Liga TOTY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Inter overpaid.
    The money they wanted could pay for Schneiderlin.

Sure Krychowiak is being offered up for under €25M and he was in the La Liga TOTY.

I wouldn't rate Schneiderlin better than Kondogbia myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Inter definitely don't have that sort of money to spend without selling someone. Kovacic would fetch €30m so they may sell him to fund Kondogbia transfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The Telegraaf in Holland are reporting that Sunderland are after Wijnaldum. The regional papers/sites in the north-east are carrying the story today too. Zenit have already had a £10m bid rejected but he is believed to have a release clause of £14.3m (€20m).

Zero chance but it is nice to be linked with ambitious targets for the first time in quite a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Paully D wrote: »
    The Telegraaf in Holland are reporting that Sunderland are after Wijnaldum. The regional papers/sites in the north-east are carrying the story today too. Zenit have already had a £10m bid rejected but he is believed to have a release clause of £14.3m (€20m).

Zero chance but it is nice to be linked with ambitious targets for the first time in quite a while.

Surely he's FAR better than Sunderland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Distin looking likely to join Bournemouth.

Daily mail Cech to Arsenal is done 11m.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsAmy/status/613003846252634113

Sylvan Distin agrees in principle to join Bournemouth.

https://twitter.com/LeeClayton_/status/613003414772023296

Cech to Arsenal done.

Chelsea have done well to get over ten million for a thirty three year old goalkeeper who didn't play last season. Is Cech even that much better than Ospina right now? Nothing like he was and has been on a steady decline for a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Chelsea have Costa , done well to get over ten million for a thirty three year old goalkeeper who didn't play last season. Is Cech even that much better than Ospina right now? Nothing like he was and has been on a steady decline for a few years.

Comfortably better than Ospina and his years of big match experience will be a massive asset for Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Chelsea have done well to get over ten million for a thirty three year old goalkeeper who didn't play last season. Is Cech even that much better than Ospina right now? Nothing like he was and has been on a steady decline for a few years.
    Have you based this on any truth whatsoever? Cech didn't put a foot wrong when he did come in last season, and he didn't put a foot wrong when he played the year before that, from what I remember.

Not sure where this "steady decline" is coming from either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Lucas Hood wrote: »

Daily mail Cech to Arsenal is done 11m.

£11m? Jesus christ.

Selling a backup 33 year old keeper for double digit millions. What a luxury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Have you based this on any truth whatsoever? Cech didn't put a foot wrong when he did come in last season, and he didn't put a foot wrong when he played the year before that, from what I remember.

Yeah, Cech is still a world class keeper, he's prone to the odd mistake but sure what keeper isn't. I have no doubt he'll be a brilliant signing for Arsenal and will improve their defence.

Cech's reputation is still somewhat protected I see. 13/14 was not a good season for him. 12/13 was only middling too. He's also gone to pot on his near post. His reactions have dulled and he doesn't command his box like he used to. Chelsea have done great business with this deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Petr Cech has experienced a steady decline in the last 35 minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

£11 million is very good for Chelsea. Arsenal get the third best goalkeeper in the league and their best by some distance since 2008. Win win for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

AdamD wrote: »
    Petr Cech has experienced a steady decline in the last 35 minutes

I can see why it might appear like that but some people have been saying this for years. My opinion on Cech wont have changed because he signed for Arsenal. Its the same as it was when the debate about Courtois or Cech was raging....or even before that when he was being loaned out to Atletico.

He's still a good keeper but "top 5 in the world?" as some were claiming? He's not that. If he has a brilliant year for Arsenal I'll change my mind but he wont. He'll be average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Kirby wrote: »
    I can see why it might appear like that but some people have been saying this for years. My opinion on Cech wont have changed because he signed for Arsenal. Its the same as it was when the debate about Courtois or Cech was raging....or even before that when he was being loaned out to Atletico.

He's still a good keeper but "top 5 in the world?" as some were claiming? He's not that. If he has a brilliant year for Arsenal I'll change my mind but he wont. He'll be average.

What 5 keepers are better than him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Neuer
    Courtois
    de Gea
    Čech
    Buffon

For me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Suppose arguments could be made for Stegen and Oblak but I dont think they are better than him yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Stegen still has his De Gea esque immature moments. But there's no doubting his potential. Some of his saves in the UCL were Sicilian inconceivable!

Seeing whether him or DDG takes the goal keeping crown will be very interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Either way, is he an upgrade on Arsenal's current keeper's?
    Undoubtedly.
    Fingers crossed it's made official soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Cech is class. He could have another half decade in him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Harvey Low Fat Milk

Van der Sar signed when he was 35 for United and went on to become a legend for the club imo. Absolutely no reason Cech can't so something similar at Arsenal. As a United fan I would've loved to see him replace De Gea.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Cech's a great signing. Still a few years left in him and has experience winning the league, something Arsenal need.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,655 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Suppose arguments could be made for Stegen and Oblak but I dont think they are better than him yet.

Think Oblak needs to cement a first team place before he can belongs in these discussions. Looks a prospect no doubt though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I think Arsenal still need two players along the lines of Schneidelin and Cavani before they really go toe to toe with Chelsea

I think Arsenal still need two players along the lines of Schneidelin and Cavani before they really go toe to toe with Chelsea

Mad as he is, I think Vidal could be what they need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

JPA wrote: »
    Mad as he is, I think Vidal could be what they need.

Doubt Arsenal could afford Juve's valuation of Vidal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Godot. wrote: »
    Doubt Arsenal could afford Juve's valuation of Vidal

Why couldn't they?

Advertisement