Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer 2015 Transfer Window General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Arsenal have over £200 million in the bank, pretty sure they could afford it if they wanted to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

JPA wrote: »
    Mad as he is, I think Vidal could be what they need.

Vidal is what every team needs, probably the best midfielder in the world on his day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,455 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I haven't really thought Cech was up to the hype for a good few years now. Before the Stephen Hunt incident he was fantastic, one of the best periods I've ever seen a keeper have. I think that incident rocked him as it might do anyone but he's slower to throw himself around and started making more mistakes based on his apprehension and over thinking things.

He's not and has never really been as reactive as the very best shot stoppers but would have an almost psychic ability to know where the ball would be going. I think at the moment he's very good for Arsenal but I do also like Ospina and think he earned a shot last season. Cech has always played behind an ultra defensive team and as good as Arsenal have/could be, they'll never be that under Wenger. He's going to have a lot more work to do and it could be either good or bad, I like him so hope it's good but it remains to be seen.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,753 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Some of the opinions on Cech are frankly laughable. The man is and has been solid as a rock bar a brief period when he came back from that injury.

I don't want to engage in ranking him against other keepers - Neuer for example is a completely different kettle of fish as a keeper, so it's like comparing apples and oranges.

As a Chelsea supporter, there was no difference for me whether Cech or Courtois started last season. They are at a very similar level. Courtois is probably slightly more prone to idiocy where Cech's experience protects him whilst Courtois has an uncanny capability to stop shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Some of the opinions on Cech are frankly laughable. The man is and has been solid as a rock bar a brief period when he came back from almost being murdered by that thug.

I don't want to engage in ranking him against other keepers - Neuer for example is a completely different kettle of fish as a keeper, so it's like comparing apples and oranges.

As a Chelsea supporter, there was no difference for me whether Cech or Courtois started last season. They are at a very similar level. Courtois is probably slightly more prone to idiocy where Cech's experience protects him whilst Courtois has an uncanny capability to stop shots.

Murder.. Thug... Lie down would ya!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Liam O wrote: »
    I haven't really thought Cech was up to the hype for a good few years now. Before the Stephen Hunt incident he was fantastic, one of the best periods I've ever seen a keeper have. I think that incident rocked him as it might do anyone but he's slower to throw himself around and started making more mistakes based on his apprehension and over thinking things.

His form dropped a bit after he came back, but he was back to his best after a couple of shakey years. He was almost inhumanly good at times in Chelsea's CL run when they went on to win it.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,753 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

stephenl15 wrote: »
    Murder.. Thug... Lie down would ya!

Don't know what you're talking about pal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Don't know what you're talking about pal.

Nice editing pal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

stephenl15 wrote: »
    Nice editing pal

Not really it can still be seen in the post you quoted so it just looks more petty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Anywho as this is a transfer thread - Lowton and Sylla have joined the Villa exodus.

Maarten Stekelenburg has joined Southampton on loan. Good move until Forster recovers from his injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

zerks wrote: »
    Impressive.
    Not his goalkeeping but the fact i havent read anything at all about this before the deal was done in the Dutch media

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Godot. wrote: »
    Doubt Arsenal could afford Juve's valuation of Vidal

More important question would be why would he go to Arsenal?
    He's at a team looking to build and already challenge for major trophies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

ERG89 wrote: »

Why did Sanchez and Ozil go to Arsenal?

He's won everything in Italy, so realistically the major trophy you're referring to is the CL. Would he have a better chance of winning that in the next few years with Juventus? Maybe he would. Then again I'm sure most would be surprised to see them in the final again next year.

Maybe he'd like a cut at the EPL, play with his mate Sanchez and earn a fortune whilst doing so? I'd imagine we can at least match if not better what Juve are paying him.

Why does anyone move anywhere? *head against wall* :rolleyes:

cson wrote: »
    Why did Sanchez and Ozil go to Arsenal?

He's won everything in Italy, so realistically the major trophy you're referring to is the CL. Would he have a better chance of winning that in the next few years with Juventus? Maybe he would. Then again I'm sure most would be surprised to see them in the final again next year.

Maybe he'd like a cut at the EPL, play with his mate Sanchez and earn a fortune whilst doing so? I'd imagine we can at least match if not better what Juve are paying him.

Why does anyone move anywhere? *head against wall* :rolleyes:

They went to Arsenal because Bale and Suarez were bought in....don't see Juve actively looking to sell him like Özil and Sanchez were clearly no longer needed.
    yeah I do think Juve have a better chance of winning the Champions League and he could do better than Arsenal if he wanted to leave Juve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,455 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Arsenal's squad is really underrated on here. They started badly last season but made some real strides in the 2nd half of the season and are very close to it all falling into place. The fact Coquelin looked so good in that team for the 2nd half of the season makes me think that a better player in that role is going to look like a world beater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Look at the other options in the Premier League.

Liverpool and Spurs: Just not good enough for a player of Vidal's class
    Chelsea: Matic and Fabregas
    Man City: Toure, Fernando, Fernandinho.
    Man Utd: A possibility, but they are rebuilding, can they challenge next season?

For Vidal, Arsenal could well rank ahead of all the others. Second this season with players like Sanchez and Ozil to play ahead of him, Coquelin for competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Lot of goalies getting signed this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

If Arsenal had a busquets quality player they'd be genuine contenders. They're that close. With Coquelin they're pretty close too. They just don't have adequate cover should he get injured.

Vidal they don't actually need. Though himself and Sanchez work rather well. They need a Keane type DM or a Busquets type one. Either will do. Then a decent striker. I don't Giroud is at a high enough level.

All that said, Vidal would still strengthen Arsenal. Just not where they really need strengthening. A bit like Real Madrid selling Alonso and buying kroos and James.

Godge wrote: »
    Look at the other options in the Premier League.

Liverpool and Spurs: Just not good enough for a player of Vidal's class
    Chelsea: Matic and Fabregas
    Man City: Toure, Fernando, Fernandinho.
    Man Utd: A possibility, but they are rebuilding, can they challenge next season?

For Vidal, Arsenal could well rank ahead of all the others. Second this season with players like Sanchez and Ozil to play ahead of him, Coquelin for competition.

Well he's better than those 3 at City tbh.
    There are other teams outside of the PL too obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Well he's better than those 3 at City tbh.
    There are other teams outside of the PL too obviously.

Hes not better than Yaya, and he most definitely isnt a better DM than either of the other two, hes an attacking midfielder afterall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Hes not better than Yaya, and he most definitely isnt a better DM than either of the other two, hes an attacking midfielder afterall.

He offers far more over 90 minutes than Yaya and won't need to be protected as much either as he'll get around the midfield far more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

He's neither a defensive or attacking midfielder he's more of Box to box in the mould of vieira similar temper too

Yaya Toure 2 years ago I assume your on about?
    Cause he was poor last season & at 32 isn't going to get better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

yeah I do think Juve have a better chance of winning the Champions League and he could do better than Arsenal if he wanted to leave Juve.

(a) Name the clubs

(b) Following on from (a); name who he'd displace in the starting line up. In his natural position of course. Lets not shoehorn him into DM, LW or GK.

I'm genuinely interested to see what you come up with.

(a) Name the clubs

(b) Following on from (a); name who he'd displace in the starting line up. In his natural position of course. Lets not shoehorn him into DM, LW or GK.

Real Madrid he could get game time in a midfield 3.
    Bayern he could get games too ahead of Alonso & if they move Lahm back the pitch.
    Chelsea could replace Oscar with him & it wouldn't be a bad move. Works hard too & is an upgrade on Ramires shoehorned in that role.
    He'd get in City's team too but they might make a lot of changes & I'm sure won't go two up top all the time next season.
    PSG he'd get put in the XI ahead of Motta & put Verratti in a holding role behind Matuidi.
    I can't name these as facts as (a)I don't manage or work for these teams & (b) I don't know if they'd sign him but (c) I know Juve are better right now than Arsenal :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Vidal is a class DM when he plays there. People don't give that side of his game nearly enough credit.

(a) Name the clubs

He would walk into Madrids team easily, he doesn't get the praise because he still plays for Juve but I think he will be moving on soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,655 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Giggsy11 wrote: »

Chelsea are doing well there for an ageing player they don't need.

Arsenal are also doing well there getting a player who will be able to perform to a very high level for them for a few years. Those players can be hard to come by.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNewsHQ/status/613444490683117568

Sky: Liverpool agree deal with Hoffenheim to sign Firmino.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Thats a great signing for Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Liverpool might not make a balls of this window for once.

Sell Sterling for a ridiculous amount next.

Looks like a good signing would have taken him at United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Oat23 wrote: »
    Liverpool might not make a balls of this window for once.

Sell Sterling for a ridiculous amount next.

He's Sterling's replacement.

• Advertisement

JPA wrote: »
    He's Sterling's replacement.

Don't make the same mistake United made with Kagawa. He's a number 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

I'd argue he's gone ahead of yaya. Toure is just not doing he's coasting through games Vidal the last year offers a lot more attacking defending and aggression

Pirlo to join NYFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I think Rodgers still plans on using Coutinho out wide, which is where he played the majority of his games for us last season, even during his post Christmas good form, so I hope Firmino is the main CAM for us, if he is signed.

Any quick thoughts on how you think he'll do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,065 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Jackson Martinez heading for athletico Madrid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Sterling had his best times through the middle as well.

Knex. wrote: »
    I think Rodgers still plans on using Coutinho out wide, which is where he played the majority of his games for us last season, even during his post Christmas good form, so I hope Firmino is the main CAM for us, if he is signed.

Any quick thoughts on how you think he'll do?

If he's played in the correct position and given time to settle into a new country and new style of football, he can be successful. He plays up top for Brazil, but that says a lot more about the talent knocking around in the forward department for Brazil more than anything. I hope what you said is right about moving Coutinho to the wing to let Firmino play his most natural position.Can't help but think he'll fail on the wing.

Can Coutinho play on the wing though? Maybe they have signed a player they don't need.

€40m is some fee. Said in the BL thread last week that they could probably push for €35m from a PL team.
    As a Brazilian football commentator I follow on twitter said, a hell of a scouting job done by Hoffenheim plucking him from Serie B after an average looking season.

BBC going with the Firmino story,£29 million fee.

https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/613460973404430336

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

In all honesty it'd be about time Rodgers got a big money signing right if Firmino is a success. If the reported fee of £30m is correct that brings his spending to around £250m so far with about 2 or 3 signings being a success. He badly needs to get it right this summer.

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Jackson Martinez heading for athletico Madrid
    Now that one is a signing and a half. Given how most strikers seem to do for Atletico, expect goals, goals, goals from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

CSF wrote: »
    Now that one is a signing and a half. Given how most strikers seem to do for Atletico, expect goals, goals, goals from him.

AC Milan have gone from having Kondogbia and Martinez all but signed to going back to the drawing board. Ouch!

Paully D wrote: »
    AC Milan have gone from having Kondogbia and Martinez all but signed to going back to the drawing board. Ouch!
    You'd have to wonder if it was all just hype with no substance from the new owners. Will they sign equivalent players for equivalent value now? Who would be the equivalent of Kondogbia and Martinez right now that they could sign?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

The problem with Martinez is Milan want to do a medical before signing him but Colombia won't clear him for one and they need their permission.

After being stung badly in the past you can blame them for wanting to have their own doctors asses a player before signing.

The problem with Martinez is Milan want to do a medical before signing him but Colombia won't clear him for one and they need their permission.

After being stung badly in the past you can blame them for wanting to have their own doctors asses a player before signing.
    Atletico over Milan is a no-brainer in any case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

CSF wrote: »
    You'd have to wonder if it was all just hype with no substance from the new owners. Will they sign equivalent players for equivalent value now? Who would be the equivalent of Kondogbia and Martinez right now that they could sign?

The money being spent right now is directly from Finvest, the holding company Berlusconi owns. Milan don't have new owners, they have a new minority partner, Berlusconi still controls 52% of the club and has 3 board seats to the partners 1.

• Advertisement
Advertisement