Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does the business culture differ to Ireland?

Options
  • 18-05-2015 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

One of the things I am cautious about is how the business culture in Canada differs to Ireland.

I have a fear/stereotype that they're super serious about hard work, long hours and no time off, and that everything is a lot more formal. For example I work in an office job in Ireland but it is not customer facing so we wear casual clothes and general behaviour in the workplace is relaxed.

Are Canadians going to freak out if you casually swear? I presume they don't go in for the same culture of slagging off for a laugh etc. Same for job interviews - I've been to interviews for proper jobs here that are still relatively relaxed/informal, lads happy to have a chat about the football or whatever else. Is it all very business like in Canada?

In fact any general tips for job hunting would be appreciated. Should we be making adjustments to our CV? Currently I've just added an extra line at the top saying "I am eligible & available to work from (date of my visa/entry)"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Intifada wrote: »
    One of the things I am cautious about is how the business culture in Canada differs to Ireland.

I have a fear/stereotype that they're super serious about hard work, long hours and no time off, and that everything is a lot more formal. For example I work in an office job in Ireland but it is not customer facing so we wear casual clothes and general behaviour in the workplace is relaxed.

Are Canadians going to freak out if you casually swear? I presume they don't go in for the same culture of slagging off for a laugh etc. Same for job interviews - I've been to interviews for proper jobs here that are still relatively relaxed/informal, lads happy to have a chat about the football or whatever else. Is it all very business like in Canada?

In fact any general tips for job hunting would be appreciated. Should we be making adjustments to our CV? Currently I've just added an extra line at the top saying "I am eligible & available to work from (date of my visa/entry)"

Just be yourself FFS. I don't find that interacting with people at work in Canada is much different at all from Ireland. I wouldn't be so unprofessional as to swear at work in Ireland so why would anyone do it in Canada ? Profanity and vulgarity and any form of Paddywhackery in particular is not appreciated anywhere in the world - Particularly not by other Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

Long Gone wrote: »
    Just be yourself FFS. I don't find that interacting with people at work in Canada is much different at all from Ireland. I wouldn't be so unprofessional as to swear at work in Ireland so why would anyone do it in Canada ? Profanity and vulgarity and any form of Paddywhackery in particular is not appreciated anywhere in the world - Particularly not by other Irish people.

No more posts from you thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

Generally I find that its similar enough like Long Gone said. Like anywhere it all depends on the office and your colleagues.

People in Canada (or anywhere) definitely don't appreciate being insulted after giving good advice, so I would suggest you change that habit and instead appreciate the fact that someone has taken time to answer your question with worthwhile information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Like Ireland, it depends on the workplace!

Swearing in a lot of offices in Ireland would go down like a lead balloon ! You can't really generalise like that.

If you were swearing during an interview here in Ireland, I almost definitely would be put off hiring you.

• Advertisement

fergusb wrote: »
    People in Canada (or anywhere) definitely don't appreciate being insulted after giving good advice, so I would suggest you change that habit
    Do you have any examples of this happening

Besides I don't think "just be yourself" is very good advice for a job interview whatsoever. I've never known anybody to go into a job interview like they were popping over to a mates house. That is why so many people stress about their CV, what they say, how they look and how they act in these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Intifada wrote: »
    I don't think "just be yourself" is very good advice for a job interview whatsoever. .

Maybe in your case it wouldn't be......

Long Gone wrote: »
    Maybe in your case it wouldn't be......
    That's correct. If the person interviewing me says something stupid I would just smile and possibly agree with them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Panda_Turtle

It all depends on the work environment, they differ completely from company to company and industry to industry.

Swearing is very common in a lot of places but then again in others it is not. They probably don`t like the football in Canada as much as we do in Ireland and England, and that goes for other places too.

Advertisement