Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance premium

• 18-05-2015 11:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭

My car insurance (AXA) is going to expire next month. This was my first insurance and i have been paying 80 euros/month for comprehensive package. I have made no claims so far. I am holding full EU driving licence since 2012 Nov. and changed it to Irish full licence in March 2014.

My question is: Do i have to bargain with my insurance company to reduce the cost for upcoming year? or they do it themselves? Any tips please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

My car insurance (AXA) is going to expire next month. This was my first insurance and i have been paying 80 euros/month for comprehensive package. I have made no claims so far. I am holding full EU driving licence since 2012 Nov. and changed it to Irish full licence in March 2014.

My question is: Do i have to bargain with my insurance company to reduce the cost for upcoming year? or they do it themselves? Any tips please?

Shop around.

Just because you have been with them a year or 20 years they may be in no way the cheapest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

As said shop around, don't try to bargain with your own insurer until you have rang others and see what the competition has to offer. Personally if I ring around and get a cheaper quote I will go with that even if my current insurer can eventually match that, I don't take kindly to a company attempting to rip me off. If everyone shopped around insurance prices would drop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭masterboy123

thanks for the suggestion.
    do i need to ask anything in specific while shopping around, other than saying i am looking for comprehensive insurance?

thanks for the suggestion.
    do i need to ask anything in specific while shopping around, other than saying i am looking for comprehensive insurance?

You can go online and use online quote.

Its totally up to you what you want and any extras as comprehensive these days isn't what you would be lead to believe.

You can ring around even try a few brokers look up online.

So many companies and different clauses and excess etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭homer911

Consider adding someone else to your policy - eg a parent or sister with insurance in their own name - this can bring down your own insurance

• Advertisement

yes i have done that already, thanks
    homer911 wrote: »
    Consider adding someone else to your policy - eg a parent or sister with insurance in their own name - this can bring down your own insurance

just recieved policy renewal letter from AXA indicating premium has gone up by around 20e/month, even though i didnt claim anything.

Anyone can recommend another good car insurance please?

just recieved policy renewal letter from AXA indicating premium has gone up by around 20e/month, even though i didnt claim anything.

Anyone can recommend another good car insurance please?

Try as many different companies you have time to try.

Always shop around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

You've already been given the advice here that everyone else gets. Shop around, try them all, there is no 1 cheap insurer for everybody

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Try ARB Underwriting Limited. They usually give good quotes...

http://www.arb.ie/index.php/products-services/motor-insurance

(01) 275 2857

• Advertisement

Funny thing is when I try with my current insurance company the online quote is very good, however the renewal letter asking for a different hiked price.

Funny thing is when I try with my current insurance company the online quote is very good, however the renewal letter asking for a different hiked price.

Well then start as a new customer.

You aren't really taking on board what we are all saying.

Insurance companies are not loyal to customers and any customer that is loyal to an insurance company needs to be checked especially if another is cheaper for same options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

If I was you I would do what the other posters said, and shop around for the cheapest deal they will give you. You could try a broker like Chill Insurance just to see what lowest price they can find for you as well.

If you spend the time to try as many as you can then you will possibly get insurance for a few hundred cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Yesterday, my 75 year old mother-in-law got her renewal from AA underwritten by AXA

97 corolla, 20 years NCB, no points, completely clean, no claims, nothing. Comprehensive quote, last year 440, this year 750.

Car does a triangle, house to church to shop to house. About 2000 km per year. Only time it was over 40 mph was me horsing it recharging the battery.

This is seriously fecked up. Chill.ie coming in at €870. 123.ie coming in at €1150

Still looking around. FBD dont do comp on old cars but they offered cut down benefits, Third Party Fire Theft, & glass, for 480 with protected no claims for an extra 65 euro. FBD includes her daughter (my wife) as a named driver. The aul wan doesn't do motorways or outside her local area :)

Shop around like hell buddy !

I have checked Chill insurance and No nonsense insurance quotes and they are cheaper. However, i have heard that these new companies do not help you when we actually claim and delay payments for a very long time. Thats the only reason i asked if anyone can recommend a good insurance company. Because if we actually claim something and dont get paid, then whats the point of buying the insurance.

thanks for informing about FBD. FBD turned out the cheapest!!:)
    Yesterday, my 75 year old mother-in-law got her renewal from AA underwritten by AXA

97 corolla, 20 years NCB, no points, completely clean, no claims, nothing. Comprehensive quote, last year 440, this year 750.

Car does a triangle, house to church to shop to house. About 2000 km per year. Only time it was over 40 mph was me horsing it recharging the battery.

This is seriously fecked up. Chill.ie coming in at €870. 123.ie coming in at €1150

Still looking around. FBD dont do comp on old cars but they offered cut down benefits, Third Party Fire Theft, & glass, for 480 with protected no claims for an extra 65 euro. FBD includes her daughter (my wife) as a named driver. The aul wan doesn't do motorways or outside her local area :)

Shop around like hell buddy !

How can you say FBD turned out the cheapest, when you hadn't started looking at 8pm this evening. Online quotes are not your only option. What's the rush if you only got your renewal today?

i checked 7-8 different online quotes and FBD was cheapest followed by No nonsense.
    the insurance is going to expire in 25 days, thats why i want to find cheapest option available, or is it too early? :confused:
    How can you say FBD turned out the cheapest, when you hadn't started looking at 8pm this evening. Online quotes are not your only option. What's the rush if you only got your renewal today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

FBD is also no nonsense.

i checked 7-8 different online quotes and FBD was cheapest followed by No nonsense.
    the insurance is going to expire in 25 days, thats why i want to find cheapest option available, or is it too early? :confused:

Try a few brokers. There is a huge array of insurers who don't quote online and many more that you would never have heard of. 1 working day prior to renewal is time enough to switch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

My insurance is due for renewal, €525, in a couple of weeks. I've shopped around like I do every year. Quotes range from €405 to €800.

Call brokers as well the insurance company's themselves. Britton Insurance in Donegal gave me a very competitive quote.

Before you accept a quote, make sure you're happy with what they're offering. For me the breakdown cover and allowed to drive another car was very important. Make sure you ask if they're included before you accept a quote.

still looking around for insurance quotes and nothing available for less than 1000e.

still looking around for insurance quotes and nothing available for less than 1000e.

So who or what type of insurance companies have you tried?

Give us some more info.

No claims 1year I am guessing as you have insurance here 1 year.
    Car make/model
    Engine size.
    Province/area.

Obviously don't give us your bank account details but something close to what I have asked above as maybe others similar age will be able to give you examples.

I thought you said you tried your insurance company online and it gave a good quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

The other halfs renewal letter came yesterday. 3 yrs NCB, 2 years full licence, last year was sub 500, this year 670. That's AA. I got a quote for her from itsforwomen.ie for 450 fully comp.

By the way, itsforwomen.ie quote for men too.

No claims: 1 year
    Car make/model: 1.6 L opel astra 2006
    Province/area: Kilkenny
    Have full Irish licence for 1 year. Had done driving exam in another EU country in 2012 and converted it to Irish licence in March 2014.
    Have spouse as additional driver.

The previous quote that i was happy with went up to 1000 when i clicked "Buy" :( So i am looking for other companies now.
    I have tried no nonsense, AIG, AXA, 123.ie, liberty insurance, and several more.
    So who or what type of insurance companies have you tried?

Give us some more info.

No claims 1year I am guessing as you have insurance here 1 year.
    Car make/model
    Engine size.
    Province/area.

Obviously don't give us your bank account details but something close to what I have asked above as maybe others similar age will be able to give you examples.

I thought you said you tried your insurance company online and it gave a good quote.

couldn't get a quote on this site. Gives the following message.

No Quote

Unfortunately we are unable to quote for your circumstances at this present time as you fall outside of our underwriting criteria.
    We can pass you on to our recommended partner QuoteMe.IE. Please click on the button opposite if you wish to go there now. Most of your details will be automatically transferred to save re-keying, please verify the information is correct on each page and if you have entered any claims/convictions on this site please contact QuoteMe to verify the information.

pablo128 wrote: »
    The other halfs renewal letter came yesterday. 3 yrs NCB, 2 years full licence, last year was sub 500, this year 670. That's AA. I got a quote for her from itsforwomen.ie for 450 fully comp.

By the way, itsforwomen.ie quote for men too.

You say you've done all the online options, ring a couple of brokers

I just updated my address to different County and my insurance went up by a tenner monthly!! :(

Anyone knows if we are allowed to change the insurance company, before yearly insurance expires? This is almost costing me 1200€ yearly which is way too high.

I just updated my address to different County and my insurance went up by a tenner monthly!! :(

Anyone knows if we are allowed to change the insurance company, before yearly insurance expires? This is almost costing me 1200€ yearly which is way too high.

You can cancel your insurance but you may have a fee for doing so also will you end up saving.

You won't get your money back.

• Advertisement

So here is the another year of struggle.

car insurance expiring next month and getting quotes all above 1200e. So far rang Kennco, RSA, Cornmarket and AXA.

Any suggestions or advice please?

I have full Irish licence, NCB 2 years and 2006 model car.

Advertisement