Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post primary teaching jobs

Options
  • 18-05-2015 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

haven sent off about 15 job applications now in the past 2 weeks to secondary schools all over the country, does anyone know when the interviews take place?
    Are they during the whole summer i.e. july and august!
    And is it safe to take a holiday abroad during this time without worrying if the phone is going to ring?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭annejohn91

I am pretty sure most interviews take place in June and then near the end of August as principals take a long break from July to mid August

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Will move this to Teaching and Lecturing, where poeple would be more 'in the know'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Schools close for the month of July so June and August are your months for interviews

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

kube wrote: »
    haven sent off about 15 job applications now in the past 2 weeks to secondary schools all over the country, does anyone know when the interviews take place?
    And is it safe to take a holiday abroad during this time without worrying if the phone is going to ring?

Do not be downhearted if you do not hear back from them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭barretsimpson

kube wrote: »

Do you know any GAA ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭2011abc

spurious wrote: »
    Do not be downhearted if you do not hear back from them all.

Alas unless you have a Masters in a highly desirable subject (not even sure there are any ...Maths /Science /Irish?) do not be downhearted if you do not hear back from ANY of them .Nulerous stories of people sending dozens of applications and dreaming of getting an interview ...Id guess its England or on call for subbing are your realistic options .(The latter rarer after teachers forced to S&S )

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

I'm in the same boat and will be gutted not to get a few interviews.

Really hate this time of year, hard on one's mental health.

Best of luck OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

2011abc wrote: »
    Alas unless you have a Masters in a highly desirable subject (not even sure there are any ...Maths /Science /Irish?) do not be downhearted if you do not hear back from ANY of them .Nulerous stories of people sending dozens of applications and dreaming of getting an interview ...Id guess its England or on call for subbing are your realistic options .(The latter rarer after teachers forced to S&S )

That is not true. A masters is not the be all and end all in teaching.

Certainly a good primary degree and teaching qualification then experience, after that maybe you'd look at a masters. Well that's the way we do it.

The notion that a masters makes a better teacher is just rubbish. I'm not saying you cant have a masters and be a good teacher, I'm saying it doesn't guarantee it.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭freckly

What do you think of permanent jobs being advertised? I have a CID in my current school and am happy there but I see a perm job advertised closer to my house. My principal is not always the most understanding and I don't want to rock the boat if advertising permanent jobs is a formality before the positions are filled internally. Has anyone any information on these kind of jobs? I would have to put my principal on the CV because I have been in the school for a number of years and he is the best reference I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

freckly wrote: »
    What do you think of permanent jobs being advertised? I have a CID in my current school and am happy there but I see a perm job advertised closer to my house. My principal is not always the most understanding and I don't want to rock the boat if advertising permanent jobs is a formality before the positions are filled internally. Has anyone any information on these kind of jobs? I would have to put my principal on the CV because I have been in the school for a number of years and he is the best reference I have.

Advertised permanent jobs are gone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Advertised permanent jobs are gone.
    I disagree, I got a job everyone told me must have had someone lined up. Apply anyhow.

I disagree, I got a job everyone told me must have had someone lined up. Apply anyhow.

How long ago? All jobs now are RPT first.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭freckly

How long ago? All jobs now are RPT first.

I thought as much. I won't risk it so.Thanks. byhook- I am secondary and I think things work a bit differently with regards to permanency.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

But how can a job be advertised if it has been filled??

But how can a job be advertised if it has been filled??

You have to advertise permanent positions. It has always been the way in secondary but a person will have built up their contracts.

You have to advertise permanent positions. It has always been the way in secondary but a person will have built up their contracts.

If it has rolled to a CID there's no sense in advertising and interviewing as the incumbent will be de facto permanent.

In light of the new circular the job will expire after a year anyway so the permanent tag is becoming irrelevant. I have seen jobs being advertised as permanent but not 22 hours. That's not heard of in reality though. It was always PWT permanent whole time.

I would say apply away. You never know what's going on.

If it has rolled to a CID there's no sense in advertising and interviewing as the incumbent will be de facto permanent.

In light of the new circular the job will expire after a year anyway so the permanent tag is becoming irrelevant. I have seen jobs being advertised as permanent but not 22 hours. That's not heard of in reality though. It was always PWT permanent whole time.

I would say apply away. You never know what's going on.

CID is not the same as permanent even though it has the same conditions attached. It always was the way that you had to reinterview to become permanent.

At the same time I would apply anyway.

CID is not the same as permanent even though it has the same conditions attached. It always was the way that you had to reinterview to become permanent.

At the same time I would apply anyway.

If somebody has a cid or an entitlement to a cid there is no sensible reason to convert it to a permanent job. The ward report specifically states that a CID is equal to a permanent contract.

In this of all years it makes no sense to be having unnecessary interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭NCW feen

What is a fixed term contract ? Is it to cover a career break or sick leave ? Maternity leave positions are generally always labelled as substitute.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭flandabieduzie

Generally it means there is a fixed date to end of contract from what I could discover online. The fixed term contracts I have had were both covering sick leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 DetteDublin

DH in the same boat. He's just finished a year with 10 hours RTP (nothing short of a miracle getting it) but he's now back on the job hunt. 30 applications so far but not a sniff of an interview. We're hoping he'll interview in June and get sorted, if not August. I don't want to even think about beyond August if he gets nothing, his MH is going downhill already.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 lulufinn90

Reading this thread makes me feel like I pulled of a miracle. I have been based in the UK for the last two years. Then my fiancee got made redundant and we began to think about coming home as we are getting married next year. Applied for one job at home, got shortlisted, did the interview and got offered the job a week ago. Its a one year substitute contract in quite a good school. (Ill worry about what is next after the year is up)

From what I have heard the biggest problem is getting someone to read your application due to the volume of applicants. My advice is to make a real effort with your application (in case it is read) make sure you tailor it to the schools ethos and needs. I spent 3 days writing mine and had an English teacher in my current school proof read it. If you get an interview make sure you disect the website, and the DES inspection report if there is one make sure you identify ways you can help the school to improve. Show clear knowledge of your subject. At my interview they asked me to analyse a past exam question and give my opinion on the language, challenge etc. Also make sure you clearly state that you WANT the job.

I graduated in 2013 and due to finances could not afford to be on the dole or out of work. I know England does not suit everyone but it has given me experience and confidence I needed to become a better teacher. The work is hard and the workload is heavy but I have no regrets about it. If people are in a position to go, I would recommend it for a year or two. It has been very eye opening yet rewarding at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,501 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I have never heard of a substitute contract? Are you department paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 lulufinn90

Its covering a maternity that will last for at least one year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,501 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Fair enough, its called a fixed purpose contract though it can only last 26 weeks unless the person takes some unpaid leave. If it goes beyond a year, it must be advertised again. Also remember they don't count for any entitlement

• Registered Users Posts: 28 DetteDublin

Hi, it's a miracle, DH got sorted with a maternity contract, beginning in Sept for 6 months. 50 job apps, 5 interviews, he's been very lucky I know. Just thought I'd share the good news.

Advertisement