Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing from billed to Prepay

Options
  • 18-05-2015 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

Hi, My LL suggested that I change over to Prepay.
    I am currently a standard billed customer since Feb 2014.

Is there a contract that I have to sign up for? I am unsure how long I will be here for.

Is there a cost for installation?

Will the meter be where the regular meters are, or put into the apartment? I ask this because the LL has denied access to the current meters to tenants dues to recent vandalism.

Thank you.

S.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi SMJSF,

Thanks for your post.
    Is there a contract that I have to sign up for? I am unsure how long I will be here for.

Is there a cost for installation?

There is no contract, and your meter and installation are free of charge. You would pay the standard Electric Ireland electricity rates, and there is a PAYG service charge of 19c per day including VAT (16.74c ex VAT). Annually this is 69.35 euro including VAT (61.10 euro ex VAT).
    My LL suggested that I change over to Prepay... Will the meter be where the regular meters are, or put into the apartment? I ask this because the LL has denied access to the current meters to tenants dues to recent vandalism.

To get a Pay As You Go meter installed as a tenant of a property, you would need the permission of the landlord; however, as the landlord in this case suggested it, this shouldn't be a problem. You would need regular access to the meter though, so this may be something you would need to discuss further with your landlord.

For further information on Pay As You Go electricity, see here. If you have gas and are interested in the Pay As You Go gas option, there would be a charge for installation, and written permission from the property owner would be required prior to installation. You can find further information on this here.

Please do let us know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
    David

Advertisement