Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying sweets / bards on amazon.com

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Excluding alcohol, there is no issue with sales tax (VAT) when buying from a vendor in the EU. Amazon actually pay Irish VAT when the item is being shipped to the ROI so you'll find the price increases slightly due to our higher rate of VAT as soon as you nominate shipment to the ROI.

If you buy chocolate from the US you can expect it to taste very different to what you're used to here and you may be asked to pay VAT on it if it's intercepted by the customs people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭McSween

Thanks for your reply but I am the opposite and in fact living in Jacksonville. It is the astronomical store prices on English / Irish chocolate I am looking to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I thought you couldn't get any british/irish cadburys at all now because Hershey's stopped them being imported? The American cadburys is horrible, I just stick to Lindt or green and blacks and stock up on cadburys when I'm home.

I don't know if they have Fresh and Easy stores in Florida but the ones here in Nevada stock bisto and some other English products like Heinz beans and robinsons fruit squash. They also have non cadburys UK chocolate like toffee crisp, aero, Galaxy and malteasers. The prices aren't that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

Are you sure you want to ship chocolate to Jacksonville? You'll have a nice hot chocolate drink by the time it gets there.

My local British store stocked up on Cadbury before the import ban went into effect. I'm sure they'll run out soon.

I find I can get by with Ritter, Lindt, Godiva and a bunch of others that our local Wegmans sells. I had a bar of Neuhaus over the weekend...that was good!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

McSween wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply but I am the opposite and in fact living in Jacksonville. It is the astronomical store prices on English / Irish chocolate I am looking to avoid.

Are there Publix supermarkets or a Cost Plus World Market in Jacksonville? They both sell lots of "schtuff" from home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭McSween

Are you sure you want to ship chocolate to Jacksonville? You'll have a nice hot chocolate drink by the time it gets there.

My local British store stocked up on Cadbury before the import ban went into effect. I'm sure they'll run out soon.

I find I can get by with Ritter, Lindt, Godiva and a bunch of others that our local Wegmans sells. I had a bar of Neuhaus over the weekend...that was good!

Ritter is nice I admit. I like the butter buscuit and alpine ones. I find the Lindt lovely but pricey.
    ProudDUB wrote: »
    Are there Publix supermarkets or a Cost Plus World Market in Jacksonville? They both sell lots of "schtuff" from home.

There a publix everywhere here. We seem to discover a new one every week. Yes I have also been to World Market. The prices are around 1.80 per bar though. This is coming from somebody who only buys multi packs at home :)

I have to say I will slightly revise a previous post I made on Cadbury Dairy Milks. They aren't quite as much the same, you can taste the difference to home ones but I still like them compared to the smell of vomit off American chocolate. It really is awful stuff and as an addict I have to remember in petrol stations that most of the bars are ****e.

I'm looking forward to my bisto powder, it will be here tomorrow. Amazon said it was dispatched from Ruskin, Florida.

McSween wrote: »
    Ritter is nice I admit. I like the butter buscuit and alpine ones. I find the Lindt lovely but pricey.

Lindt is pretty cheap around here. I can usually get the 100g bars for $2 when they're on sale.

The big 5lb bar of Lindt milk chocolate with hazelnuts tastes almost the same as Cadbury Whole Nut. The only problem is, last time I bought a bar I ate it over a weekend...

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

The Wegmans near where I used to live had a few shelves with Irish and British foods. Aside from Lion bars and Aero, they had some Catch bars, and then one day they had Dark Chocolate Catch bars. Wow! They became a regular treat.

They never had Tayto or Club Orange, though!

Bayberry wrote: »
    The Wegmans near where I used to live had a few shelves with Irish and British foods. Aside from Lion bars and Aero, they had some Catch bars, and then one day they had Dark Chocolate Catch bars. Wow! They became a regular treat.

They never had Tayto or Club Orange, though!

I was never into Tayto, but Club Orange was always a favorite :)

I can get Cidona at my local British store. That always brings back memories of the big brown glass bottles of Cidona that my grandmother kept in her kitchen. I used to get a glass of that going to bed every night when I stayed there.

Advertisement