Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I got two polling cards.

• 18-05-2015 4:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭

Throwing this out there to see what people think. I've been registered to vote at my home house since I was eligible but a year ago I moved into my own house in a different constituency. I haven't got around to changing my details but looks like someone got there before me as I've been registered at my new address by persons unknown. Last week polling cards arrived at both addresses.

Couple of questions: how could I have been added to the register at the new address without consultation? Would it be possible to vote twice now? Are there legal issues around this? I don't think Id actually do this but I'm curious about it none the less.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Throwing this out there to see what people think. I've been registered to vote at my home house since I was eligible but a year ago I moved into my own house in a different constituency. I haven't got around to changing my details but looks like someone got there before me as I've been registered at my new address by persons unknown. Last week polling cards arrived at both addresses.

Couple of questions: how could I have been added to the register at the new address without consultation? Would it be possible to vote twice now? Are there legal issues around this? I don't think Id actually do this but I'm curious about it none the less.

I was told i wasn't registered, but a polling card came through my mothers front door for me. But none for the address i registered for a few weeks back...

Also i got it checked a few weeks back and was told i wasn't registers at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,485 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Interesting, are they for two different polling booths? Try the register of electors to see if one is wrong. If you're on both you might technically be able to vote twice, not ethically though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

TheChizler wrote: »
    Interesting, are they for two different polling booths? Try the register of electors to see if one is wrong. If you're on both you might technically be able to vote twice, not ethically though.

Depends on what way his voting IMHO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

TheChizler wrote: »

Ya two different places, iv checked the register and both are correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I had 3 at one point. 2 to my parents address, one with, and one without my middle name, amd one to my rental address. With a total of 6 cards between 3 family members.

Enough mistakes like that, would make you wonder the effect it would have on voter turn out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Doesn't matter if you got a thousand polling cards. You still only get one vote. Even if you're registered at two addresses, turning up and voting twice is an offence.

People have been caught and done for it.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/leitrim-man-fined-800-for-voting-twice-in-last-dail-election-1.353819

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

endacl wrote: »
    Doesn't matter if you got a thousand polling cards. You still only get one vote. Even if you're registered at two addresses, turning up and voting twice is an offence.

People have been caught and done for it.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/leitrim-man-fined-800-for-voting-twice-in-last-dail-election-1.353819

What I wanted to know thanks, I'll contact the home county council and have myself removed.

Advertisement