Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen knife sharpening service - Limerick?

• 18-05-2015 4:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have a set of Sabatier kitchen knives that have gone blunt with age/use.
    Is there anyone/any place that offers a professional sharpening service in the city?
    I tried Donedeal and gumtree, but all I see are agricultural and lawnmower blade servicing.

Thanks in advance.
    MtM

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

Hi All,

I have a set of Sabatier kitchen knives that have gone blunt with age/use.
    Is there anyone/any place that offers a professional sharpening service in the city?
    I tried Donedeal and gumtree, but all I see are agricultural and lawnmower blade servicing.

Thanks in advance.
    MtM

You can do this yourself.
    You need to buy yourself a 'steel', (http://www.homestoreandmore.ie/sharpeners/stellar-sharpening-steel/invt/026098)you can get one in argos/Homestore and more for about 20euros...then google youtube on how to use one. You can also get electric sharpeners, they are more expensive, about 70 euros.
    Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

A friend who used to be a chef suggested getting them professionally resharpened first using a "stone" or special machine, since they are quite blunt.

Then use the sharpening steel afterwards for keeping them sharp.

Is there somewhere in the city that will do this?

MtM

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I don't know of anywhere in Limerick that I'd recommend, but places that cut keys might be able to help. I'd probably ask a hairdresser where they get their scissors sharpened and go with their recommendation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭denismac

PM sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

No help to you OP but it's a positive sign of the times that this thread wasn't plagued by messers out for a cheap joke at limerick's expense...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

Finger hovering over the "report post" button SC ;)
    No help to you OP but it's a positive sign of the times that this thread wasn't plagued by messers out for a cheap joke at limerick's expense...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Finger hovering over the "report post" button SC ;)

Ban hammer hanging over all users :)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Kenny B

Giltsharp used to do it in Limerick, I have a number somewhere of the last guy who took it over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Clareman wrote: »
    Ban hammer hanging over all users :)

I almost fell into the trap ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Do you know any butcher? I'd imagine they would know how to sharpen their own knives and maybe if you have a friendly local butcher you deal with, he might even agree to sharpen them for you.

• Advertisement

I sharpen knives as a hobby, usually just for myself and friends. I have the necessary equipment to re-profile and sharpen most flat bladed knives. It's a wet stone system that uses finer and finer grade stone up to a mirror polish on the blade if required. I was going to advertise the service but don't really have the time to take anything substantial on at present. I offered to do this for the OP but didn't hear anything back. If anyone else is interested I would be happy to do this for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 eclectic

Hi Denismac,
    I've just read your post dated mid '15 and I would like to take up your offer, if it still stands. I have several professional chefs knives which have lost their edge after constant use. they are not blunt but regular use has dulled their effect. I live in Clare and would be happy to meet with you, if you care to contact me.
    Cheers,
    Liam

eclectic wrote: »
    Hi Denismac,
    I've just read your post dated mid '15 and I would like to take up your offer, if it still stands. I have several professional chefs knives which have lost their edge after constant use. they are not blunt but regular use has dulled their effect. I live in Clare and would be happy to meet with you, if you care to contact me.
    Cheers,
    Liam

PM sent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭725b

denismac wrote: »
    PM sent.

Any chance you would do some hunting knives,woukd love to get them back to their best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Paddico

Lame stab city reference.

725b wrote: »
    Any chance you would do some hunting knives,woukd love to get them back to their best.

Hi, that would be no problem. PM me your contact no and I'll be in touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Bump on this, denismac are you still going?

Yes I am still doing some sharpening. PM me and I can organise a meet.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Would you be able to do this for razors as well? I have a pair of cut throat razors that need a little work to bring them back to their best.

I haven't had anyone give me a razor to sharpen yet but it should be possible. The profile on them will be very low but I could have a look if you liked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Paudier6

Hi. I know that these posts were placed a long time ago but I make high end kitchen knives and can provide a sharpening service and restoration for anyone that needs it.

Advertisement