Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knocking the edges off

• 18-05-2015 5:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

I'm just off the back of final exams and for the 2/3 months leading up to them I let myself go fairly badly. No gym and wasn't training either, problem is in 2 weeks I'm off to Boston to play GAA at a fairly serious level for the summer and I need to arrive out in some kind of shape or the house and job could disappear fairly quickly. I was 100kg at about 15% BF 3 months ago so I'll never exactly be light but I'd like to get shot of a kilo or two and get the body back into the habit of exerting itself.

I've cut weight successfully before but it was done properly, 500 cal deficit every day to preserve muscle rather than the shock approach I have to go with now. I realise what can be achieved in 2 weeks is limited but would like some opinions on the following.

1. How deep would you go with calories and what sort of macro split would you go with.
    2. I'm completely idle and can train twice a day, what sort of training would you go for, thinking HIIT sprints in the morning and either weights or team GAA session in the evening depending on day of the week.
    3. If anyone has had to do something similar in the past what did or didn't work for them.
    4. Is foam rolling worthwhile, I've never really done it but this is going to be intense so might dabble.

Background info is I'd be a fairly experienced trainee gym wise and I'm more than willing to do the suffering but I've just never done anything like this before and don't know the best way to go about it. Usually my gym training is powerlifting style but this will be more high intensity circuits because of what I'm looking to achieve. I doubt I've been in calorie deficit for a single day in the last 3 months so I've actually held onto most of the mass I had put on which is the one upside I suppose!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Current Weight?
    Height and age?
    I think I remember you being pretty tall from a video you posted.
    1. How deep would you go with calories and what sort of macro split would you go with.
    2. I'm completely idle and can train twice a day, what sort of training would you go for, thinking HIIT sprints in the morning and either weights or team GAA session in the evening depending on day of the week.
    3. If anyone has had to do something similar in the past what did or didn't work for them.
    4. Is foam rolling worthwhile, I've never really done it but this is going to be intense so might dabble.
    1. As your calorie needs are higher than average, I'd say you could go with a bigger deficit. Around 20% could be good. I'd go with 40P/30C/30F or there abouts. Or at least 30% in each, and 10% as it suits you each day. a
    2. Sounds good.
    3. A mix of weights and intense cardio/sport works well for me
    4. I think foam rolling, and an overall mobility/prehab/rehab plan to be very beneficial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

Mellor wrote: »
    Current Weight?
    Height and age?
    I think I remember you being pretty tall from a video you posted.

1. As your calorie needs are higher than average, I'd say you could go with a bigger deficit. Around 20% could be good. I'd go with 40P/30C/30F or there abouts. Or at least 30% in each, and 10% as it suits you each day. a
    2. Sounds good.
    3. A mix of weights and intense cardio/sport works well for me
    4. I think foam rolling, and an overall mobility/prehab/rehab plan to be very beneficial.

I'm 100kg, 6 foot and 21. Starting it all today, will be a tough 2 weeks but it'll be worth it.

Advertisement