Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Dooradoyle Public Park DIY

• 18-05-2015 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi all,

If you want a public park you will have to do it yourself.

For at least 10 years local council and councillors has been promising (especially at election time) a public park in different locations and I'm done listening.

I live in Dooradoyle and I use what should be our public park but is a dump site for the county council. It is next to Inis Mor estate near the Fr Russel Road/Mungret roundabout. Access can be gained at the next smaller roundabout towards the Cement Factory.

I will be making efforts to maintain this site myself and ask that others who are interested do the same.

There are pools of unprotected and unmarked deep water on the site so be careful. There has also been some illegal dumping in one part.

There is lots of stone on site in one part and beautiful large fields stretching down the back. Please keep your dogs under control when other dogs & people are around.

There is a wetland towards the cement factory where the train track meets the road. There is a high area overlooking that stays dry and many birds live there, I think the council planned to make that a nature reservere too. There is a 4 foot drain feeding into the wetlands likely coming from the Inis Mor housing estate storm drains.

The old cement factory railway line runs along the border of this park which is also now public property.
    This line runs from this park, past the nature reserve by the Crescent Shopping Center. Yes between the motorway and shopping center/ housing estates there is more public land & nature reserve which I think was also supposed to be developed as part of that housing estates planning permission. If you think it is silly to suggest developing this track as a public walkway then you should walk some bit of it near the DIY Public Park. Access can be gained from the road or the bottom of the park.

The council and councillors promise the world, especially at election time so I'm not waithing for them to do anything. I think their current view is that a masterplan has not been developed so they are doing nothing.

Some years ago I found out that the owner and developer of the estate next door was supposed to hand this land over to the council for a public park. This was a condition of him getting planning permission for the housing estate. At that time, the council had refused to accept the lands as they were not happy with the condition of the site.

If anyone has any update on the councils postition I would be glad to hear it but I won't bother frustrating myself by inquiring.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Mod

Moved to Limerick forum. Please note their charter now applies

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Bobking

LizT wrote: »
    Mod

Moved to Limerick forum. Please note their charter now applies

I was appealing to that forum because the people who frequent it are likely to be interested and participate.

Can you move it back please ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Bobking wrote: »
    I was appealing to that forum because the people who frequent it are likely to be interested and participate.

Can you move it back please ?

No sorry, it's a regional topic and after hours can't be used solely to reach a larger audience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

If somebody would crack a juvenile joke and 100 or so others thank it then the OP might feel at home:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Op be very very very very careful here, first off while owned by the council it is not open to the public so you are liable to trespass charges if anyone from the council takes umbrage to your being there.

Secondly, in relation to maintaining the place, if you make any changes or do any work in there that results in someone getting hurt, you, personally could be held liable.

There's a reason it's not yet open to the public and that is because it is not fit for purpose. Even though your intentions are good it could land you in a lot of trouble.

Remember, while it may be public owned land, that doesn't mean you have right to enter.

• Advertisement

Yes.. everyone take note of this liable notice..
    Same applies to Raheen industrial estate I guess or anywhere you do anything.

I personally dont care given the alternative of walking the streets. No comparison.
    I won't be building anything dangerous and any fool could kill or injure themselves here at present if the want.

So have you something positive to contribute also. If I find gold can I keep it. If this project gathers momentum and we illegally make the best park in Ireland will I get the key to the city for suggesting it.
    Cmon, surely you dont approach everything so cautiosly. I dont have a bath mat and I've cycled without a helmet, once without a light which is illegal too fyi.

source wrote: »
    There's a reason it's not yet open to the public

lold hard.

yet..
    like you think someone is going to make it safe and open it.

do you ?

My prediction: They sell it to private hands.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

mod note: you can't take over private land and this is going no where. Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement