Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy PGA Tour

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Always loved the Tiger Woods games for a couch game, especially if there are some beverages and devilment with house rules (our favourite was the "'ave it rule" where once per 18 holes, you could be told to 'ave it where you had to take out your driver and do your best to get a maximum powered shot regardless of your position on the hole). Haven't played them in a while so am looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Yeah I'm looking forward to this.

The no loading between holes will be class for a start.

Tour mode sounds good as well so you don't start going round in 16 under every round.

Not that TW probably ever played it but I wonder what he thinks about this.

This is the first real change even if we had minor tweaks to the titles of the last few editions.
    They were still fundamentally TW games.

I'm not sure if RMcI will stick, I can't see myself saying it... :)
    Back to the old "Golf" for me, too old to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

"Whack on a bit of R-Mac there, we'll play a few holes"

Could work.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

It's the first golf game to use the Frostbite engine so it will be considerably different to the past Tiger Woods games.
    My one main worry is that we'll only get a small few courses with the main game and will be asked to pay extra for new courses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

The lack of Augusta is a bit of a deal breaker.

It's the first golf game to use the Frostbite engine so it will be considerably different to the past Tiger Woods games.
    My one main worry is that we'll only get a small few courses with the main game and will be asked to pay extra for new courses.

This is what lets EA down in comparison to The Golf Club.

How and ever I will cut them slack and say you could EARN the DLC courses in the last edition I had.
    That may have been the second last and it might have been different in the edition I didn't have.

It was a grind to get them at their cheapest but was possible if you kept the game a good while.
    Could get bunches for more coins but overall took a higher number.

With Speith winning the second major of the year, it may be a quick stint for Rory as head of the EA games :D

With Speith winning the second major of the year, it may be a quick stint for Rory as head of the EA games :D

Ah no, McIlroy is the more exciting prospect. Nothing like losing the head completely after 1 missed put to make you roar at the screen!

Was dying for this but the reviews sound a bit crap.

Might rent it first, haven't rented a game in years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Penny Arcade's take on the whole thing

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2015/07/08

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Shiminay wrote: »
    Always loved the Tiger Woods games for a couch game, especially if there are some beverages and devilment with house rules (our favourite was the "'ave it rule" where once per 18 holes, you could be told to 'ave it where you had to take out your driver and do your best to get a maximum powered shot regardless of your position on the hole). Haven't played them in a while so am looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

:D

Fair enough it's a new engine for the golf game so development time was tight, but they did have a full 2 years to work on this.
    Limiting the season mode and restricting the game types for online play is a joke.
    Glad I cancelled my pre-order. No way does the content justify the full game price. Might come back to it in 6 months if EA release free extra content.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

I was really looking forward to this..What a let down. EA are getting slated on the game's fb page

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Had high hopes for this.. Held off buying The Golf Club waiting on this. Could have bought the golf club for 7euro, ended up paying 34 euro today..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Bought the golf club when it came out and was always saying, oh i cant wait for the next ea golf game.

But now im not thinking like that having played the ea access trial.

The graphics arnt great, i actually think the golf club is better graphically.

There no content, theres a handfull of golfers and courses.

Ill still get it, but im not so sure ill play it as much as i played the golf club.

Oh yeh, putting sucks in the ea golf game

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Is this game really that shine guys? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Is this game really that shine guys? :(

Yeah I am afraid so, they have left out some fundamentals of all previous Tiger Woods games. For example, see below list from theguardian forum.

It's ridiculous how many things they have taken out of the game that made people buy Tiger Woods series in the first place.

No replays for example, such an easy thing to put into the game. Then there's all the things that I imagine take very little time to do that were in games from the series over 10 years ago. PGA Tour stats so you can track your process. A trophy room. Being able to see your scorecard in a tournament. Tracking legends achievements. Tracking tournament wins.

Game modes - like Long Drive Challenge, Speed Golf and Skills 18. The ability to Tiger Proof the course. The ability to make your own course from holes already in the game.

Player customisation - the ability to choose a million different combinations of clothes, equipment and accessories for your golfer, the ability to actually make your golfer look like yourself of someone else. Being able to make your own swing.

Players and Courses - Not much needs to be said here, just a lot more of both available to play. Of the existing players, actually have swings that look their real life swings. And look as good as the PS2 days, don't think that's much to ask.

All of the above have been removed... shocking from EA.

logik wrote: »
    Yeah I am afraid so, they have left out some fundamentals of all previous Tiger Woods games. For example, see below list from theguardian forum.

It's ridiculous how many things they have taken out of the game that made people buy Tiger Woods series in the first place.

No replays for example, such an easy thing to put into the game. Then there's all the things that I imagine take very little time to do that were in games from the series over 10 years ago. PGA Tour stats so you can track your process. A trophy room. Being able to see your scorecard in a tournament. Tracking legends achievements. Tracking tournament wins.

Game modes - like Long Drive Challenge, Speed Golf and Skills 18. The ability to Tiger Proof the course. The ability to make your own course from holes already in the game.

Player customisation - the ability to choose a million different combinations of clothes, equipment and accessories for your golfer, the ability to actually make your golfer look like yourself of someone else. Being able to make your own swing.

Players and Courses - Not much needs to be said here, just a lot more of both available to play. Of the existing players, actually have swings that look their real life swings. And look as good as the PS2 days, don't think that's much to ask.

All of the above have been removed... shocking from EA.

Jesus that's shocking. What are they thinking? These games go right back to me being a child playing them v my brothers. Mastering courses to beat their previous record etc was great. I had high hopes for this but it sounds like a demo ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I'm sure they take random features out some years just to put them back in others to keep demand for a brand new yearly game as high as they can.

At least with FIFA real life teams are constantly changing and most online players migrate yearly, they also seem to be always adding new features so I think overall there's a big uptake in the newest version of the game.

Actual gameplay doesn't exponentially get better year on year to justify paying €60 a go. I've a fair few golf games already and the difference between a second hand €1.50 Tiger 09 game vrs. a brand new golf title vastly more expensive is not worth such a large price difference in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Can anyone tell me how to do that power drive from tee where it goes red? Think its called the Bose shot?

I'm sure they take random features out some years just to put them back in others to keep demand for a brand new yearly game as high as they can.

At least with FIFA real life teams are constantly changing and most online players migrate yearly, they also seem to be always adding new features so I think overall there's a big uptake in the newest version of the game.

Actual gameplay doesn't exponentially get better year on year to justify paying €60 a go. I've a fair few golf games already and the difference between a second hand €1.50 Tiger 09 game vrs. a brand new golf title vastly more expensive is not worth such a large price difference in my opinion.

I totally agree. Fifa does change and evolve every year. It's worth the fee to play online etc. But with EA golf games it's the same every year. I haven't played a golf game since 2010ish so I've bought this one because of that.

I'm about to play it now..hopefully I like it

Wonder will they update it and add in some stuff people are complaining about.

It just sounds so bare bones for a game they've been working on for so long.

I don't care about making your own player myself but trophy room, tracking stats and achievements, a variety of game modes and replays are basic things that should be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭B_Sharp

joe123 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how to do that power drive from tee where it goes red? Think its called the Bose shot?

I'd imagine you keep tapping 'A' (on Xbox) or 'X' (on Playstation) during your back-swing, that's what it used to be? If it's not working, go into the control settings and see if the boost option is on, you might be using the 'Tour' controls, which don't let you boost or add spin while the ball is in the air.

I've pretty much used up my 10 hours on EA Access now and I'm still pretty undecided. The lack of features is pretty mental, considering what they've had in the past.

Even if they add more (at a cost I'm sure), 8 courses at launch is frankly ridiculous. I was playing season and hadn't finished my first yet but if you keep playing the same courses over and over, it's going to get old fast, not to mention the lack of stats tracking and that kind of stuff.

Stuff like your player appearance, I'm never one to get real specific into how my guy looks but even I'd prefer it to be a bit more customisable. The last Tiger Woods I bought, which was like 2008, had way more specific and had tonnes more clothes and clubs. Even things like the player celebrations, I don't know how many times I've rolled in a standard par putt and my character starts doing a ridiculous dance on the green. I just sit at the screen thinking, 'Why have I given this gormless idiot my name?'

The things is though, the actual gameplay is solid and I could see myself putting a fair chunk of time into the game if only it was a bit more fleshed out. There's no way you could justify paying full price for it now though, even 40 would be too much for me. If they add a decent amount of DLC in the near future, I'll pick it up as, being a golf game, it's not really a title you need to pick up year after year.

I can't get to the menus. I did the rory 18 holes and the prologue. Wtf?

Pretty shot opinion on the game so far so I don't ill be keeping it

Has the game fully downloaded? You can only play the Prologue and 18 holes in Chambers Bay until it downloads 100% I think?

B_Sharp wrote: »
    Has the game fully downloaded? You can only play the Prologue and 18 holes in Chambers Bay until it downloads 100% I think?

HM it's been on about an hour my brothers menu is up right after his 18 holes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

You need to let the game install to 100%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I was really looking forward to this..What a let down. EA are getting slated on the game's fb page

Me too, I cant believe that a company this size would **** up so bad....no chance of pissing around with the cash cow FIFA....OHHHH NO!

Will pick it up 2nd hand in 6mths time.

Advertisement