Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low Energy Lighting - Just change bulbs or new fittings too whats the difference?

Options
  • 18-05-2015 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hello all,

If I am looking to switch to low energy lighting can someone please help me out with the following question:

What is the difference if I just switch all the light bulbs in the existing fittings to actually changing the fittings as well to A++ Light fixtures (I've seen these in shops)?

Is there a difference? Can using compact fluorescent's in the existing fittings to the same effect or will I achieve a better saving by changing it all and is it worth it?

Will it require any rewiring?

Thanks in advance
    DM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Depends on fitting types and bulb types.

If it's low voltage 50 watt down lighters or similar there are 12volt option replacement lamps and also you can swap out to 230 volt GU10 lamp style you take transformer out and then also change tail/lamp holder.

LED lamps are so much cheaper then a few years ago and this is where it's at at the moment for great light output for low cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 DR Milly

Thanks for that info Punisher.

DM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Depends on fitting types and bulb types.

If it's low voltage 50 watt down lighters or similar there are 12volt option replacement lamps and also you can swap out to 230 volt GU10 lamp style you take transformer out and then also change tail/lamp holder.

LED lamps are so much cheaper then a few years ago and this is where it's at at the moment for great light output for low cost.

I'm in the process of changing my MR16 halogen spotlights to led spots but the electronic transformers I had only work with spots above 20 watts so am having to change the transformers to led compatible ones. Just something to look out for which I overlooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 DR Milly

Thanks Aido79. Noted.

DM

Advertisement