Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Principal private residence

Options
  • 18-05-2015 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi folks, a question about principal private residence that I'd really appreciate help with.

My wife and I live in a house that is not our own but owned by my work. We must live here for work purposes (a 'tied-cottage' I believe is the term used in the UK).

We don't own any house but are considering buying. Can a home we buy be considered a principal primary residence in any/some/all of the following scenarios:

1. We use it only as a holiday home.
    2. We buy it near my wife's work (she currently overnights away at least once a week) and she stays in it once a week or so.
    3. We use it occasionally but also rent it out availing of the 'rent a room' tax relief.
    4. We rent it out but continue to pay the bills
    5. We simply rent it out.

We don't own any other home or any other property.

Many thanks, ac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You actually need to live there for it to be your PPR. Not living there and renting out the whole property means it isn't your PPR.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭acdublin

Hi Victor, thanks for the comment on that. I'm fairly sure it's not quite as black and white as 'need to live there'. I know there are Catholic priests who successfully claim PPR for tax purposes on properties they own but who do most of their living in the parochial house. Thanks, ac

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

acdublin wrote: »
    Hi Victor, thanks for the comment on that. I'm fairly sure it's not quite as black and white as 'need to live there'. I know there are Catholic priests who successfully claim PPR for tax purposes on properties they own but who do most of their living in the parochial house. Thanks, ac

Look up revenue. Its well defined

Advertisement