Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting out

Options
  • 18-05-2015 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

I've come to the stage in my guitar and vocal career where I'd like to start recording my own music. However I've no clue on what I need. I play mainly electric guitar and have about 4 or 5 pedals. Do I need a mixer, what software do I need and what mics would you recommend.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TroutMask

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055035319

Start with the sticky above. For vocals (and guitar) I recommend a large diaphragm condenser (LDC)–something like a Neumann. I just recorded a CD and didn't have an LDC (though i have plenty of small diaphragm condensers), so I rebuilt a chinese 'donor mic' by replacing the circuitry and diaphragm and created a 'Neumann clone' that I'm quite happy with. It records vocal and nice guitar amps in a most convincing fashion. So, Neumann-esque LDCs are usually good for vocals–Peluso is one that comes up frequently. Having said that, people like Midnight Oil used SM 58s on LVs for all their albums–so this can be a good way too. I've experimented with tracking through a beta 58 and I can say that the results are very good–perfect for certain styles. You won't have to worry about spill anyway!

For DAWs many people recommend Reaper, and if I wasn't tied to Euphonix's Eucon, I'd be using it too. I use Logic (with my own plug-ins), Harrison, and Nuendo. I'm probably going to stop using Logic and start using Nuendo more soon.

Some people like a dynamic mic on a guitar amp: SM 57 being the de facto here. If you're a rocker, then this is a good way to go. I've kind of gone off 57s on guitar cabs and tend to 'Albini' it with a 'dynamic-du-jour' out of my ever-growing cache of vintage dynamics. It's more fun this way, for sure. I also use a condenser though.

In closing, I'd say think about the philosophy of the music, the vision. This should dictate the equipment purchase: everything you buy will be informed by the project concept.

Advertisement