Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Mexican in Dublin City Centre for a proper sitdown meal?

Options
  • 18-05-2015 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭

looking for the above, somewhere to sit down ala a traditional restaurant, not some hipster style glorified takeaway.
    Any recommendations?

Cheers./

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

SBWife wrote: »

From what Ive read, its pure hipster. Not my thing at all, thanks anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Moved from Food & Drink

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Top of my head is Acapulco for a more traditional type setting... I don't know too many other Mexican's apart from one or two smaller less traditional restaurant-y options

But if it's less formal Little ass Burritos are the bees knees!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Acapulco. Pricey enough though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Look, the food there is good, even very good.
    But they have a DJ playing extremely loud night club style music which totally wrecks the place.
    The OP is asking for a "proper sit down" which unfortunately means that 777 is absolutely not the place to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

I would recommend http://www.azteca.ie, it's BYOB also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭wench

The Hungry Mexican on Bolton St is good

http://www.thehungrymexican.ie/about.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

wench wrote: »
    The Hungry Mexican on Bolton St is good

http://www.thehungrymexican.ie/about.html

I agree the Hungry Mexican is very good with lovely food.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭francois

Aard wrote: »
    Acapulco. Pricey enough though.

And not great value, food pretty mediocre at best

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

francois wrote: »
    And not great value, food pretty mediocre at best

Thanks all. proving a tough find to get a decent quality, sit down, traditional Mexican restaurant!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

terrydel wrote:
    Thanks all. proving a tough find to get a decent quality, sit down, traditional Mexican restaurant!

Azteca, on Cork Hill, top of Dame St. Proper authentic Mexican, owned and run by Mexicans.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

Taco Taco in Odessa was really nice but the music was stoopidly loud at brunch... And the floor staff were pretty and cool but not the sharpest/most efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,760 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

skimpydoo wrote: »
    I agree the Hungry Mexican is very good with lovely food.

Hungry Mexican is great, but it's really an extension of the bar. Not sure if that's what the OP wants.

Cafe Azteca on Dame st is nice, but really small.

Acapulco would probably be best for sit-down meal imho. Make sure to reserve a table in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

Acapulco would be more Tex Mex than Mexican IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Azteca, on Cork Hill, top of Dame St. Proper authentic Mexican, owned and run by Mexicans.
    Azteca is nice, but it's more like cafe/fast food rather than a proper sit down place.
    I like it, I eat there, I even buy ingredients from them to cook at home. It is authentic, inexpensive, and yeah the owner and staff are Mexicans, they know what they are doing. But it's a very small, cafe style place with about 6 tables, it doesn't sound like what the OP is after.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

I was just about to recommend La Sirena in Malahide (close enough to Dublin I would think) but just noticed that it has closed down. Looks like a restaurant called Pacifico is now there. Bummer as it was decent enough for Mexican cuisine.

As the original request, I would have to say in my opinion there are no places that meets your requirement. Casual burrito shacks seem to be the only Mexican trend in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

ScottSF wrote: »
    I was just about to recommend La Sirena in Malahide (close enough to Dublin I would think) but just noticed that it has closed down. Looks like a restaurant called Pacifico is now there. Bummer as it was decent enough for Mexican cuisine.

As the original request, I would have to say in my opinion there are no places that meets your requirement. Casual burrito shacks seem to be the only Mexican trend in town.

Pacifico is largely the same as La Sirena was. Not the best IMO, having been to both incarnations, though Pacifico is better than La Sirena. It's fine, but very over priced. (I think it might also be closed at the moment due to a fire in the restaurant above it over the weekend)

The best of them all was El Paso in Howth, though that's gone too :(

terrydel wrote: »
    It's not just try the Hungry Mexican, you won't be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TommyOM

There's a fantastic Mexican in Howth above a pub.

• Advertisement

TommyOM wrote: »
    There's a fantastic Mexican in Howth above a pub.
    There was, El Paso reopened for awhile over the Waterside pub. Sadly it's closed and the owners are looking for new premises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

nosietoes wrote: »
    Taco Taco in Odessa was really nice but the music was stoopidly loud at brunch... And the floor staff were pretty and cool but not the sharpest/most efficient.

Actually went there tonight. Absolutely delicious. Couldn't recommend it enough, but definitely not what the op is looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭browne_rob5

Anyone know if the Ceviche in this place is good or have any recommendations for other places where its good?

THanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

777 was decent, not great food. More style over substance would best describe this place. And the music, seriously, having to shout at the people your having dinner with would assure I'll never go back there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

I'd love to know if people actually enjoy the loud music in 777. I liked the food there. It's not amazing or anything but it was nice. The music really bugged me, though. I felt very old.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

Taboola wrote: »
    I'd love to know if people actually enjoy the loud music in 777. I liked the food there. It's not amazing or anything but it was nice. The music really bugged me, though. I felt very old.

Probably folk more interested in feeling cool than food or ambience. Leave them to it and don't go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I'd love to know this too.
    I gave out about 777 loundness in another thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96853477&postcount=50

• Registered Users Posts: 13,760 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Ask them to turn it down a bit? Had to do this in Yamamori and they obliged no problem.

Many places aren't aware their music is too loud because they are walking the floor rather than sitting under speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

skimpydoo wrote: »
    It's not just try the Hungry Mexican, you won't be disappointed.

Hungry Mexican is great! They do a gigantic chimichanga that would easily feed four but is free if eaten by one. Damn tasty too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I generally wouldn't like loud music, but it works in 777. I think the food in 777 is some of the best "non-fine" food in Dublin. But I can appreciate its not what the OP wants.

Advertisement