Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

men b vaccine

Options
  • 18-05-2015 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭

hi, just wondering if anyone has got the men b vaccine for their littleun.... I know it's become a standard vaccine in the uk but our doctor won't give us his opinion on it... am a bit worried about any long term side affects.. although my worry on men b itself is a lot more

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mocha please!

jobless wrote: »
    hi, just wondering if anyone has got the men b vaccine for their littleun.... I know it's become a standard vaccine in the uk but our doctor won't give us his opinion on it... am a bit worried about any long term side affects.. although my worry on men b itself is a lot more

I have intentions of getting it for my son but it's annoying that it's not covered under either health insurance or on the Drugs Payment Scheme. And even more annoying that it's not part of the standard schedule!

I really feel guilty about not having gotten it get for my 1.5 year old, but on the other hand, the expense of it ... it's hard to know.

Most parents I know haven't gotten it (I guess most are unaware of it.) I can't see any good reason not to ... apart from cost of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭mulbot

change doctor-it's something he should be discussing with you-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mocha please!

mulbot wrote: »
    change doctor-it's something he should be discussing with you-

Yeah it's strange that they won't at least give you an opinion one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

There was a thread here not so long ago about it. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057414866

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It's going on the schedule this summer. My gp said they did not know if there was going to be a catchup program for babies who just missed it yet, as they don't have the details yet. We're working away with other jabs in the meantime. Chicken pox etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

pwurple wrote: »
    It's going on the schedule this summer. My gp said they did not know if there was going to be a catchup program for babies who just missed it yet, as they don't have the details yet. We're working away with other jabs in the meantime. Chicken pox etc.

I wouldn't count on it going on the schedule this summer - it's already May and there hasn't been any further update, and we all know the HSE isn't exactly fast in getting these things up and running.

pwurple wrote:

I was chatting to the nurse in my GP surgery about it only last week and she attended a meeting about vaccinations the week before. She hasn't heard it being rolled out here any time soon. She had heard of the timing of the men c vaccine administrations being spaced out as said in the linked thread above. She also said they haven't actually started giving men b vaccine in the UK just yet. I think they are in the pre roll out stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

thanks for the replies.... yeah i was confused as to why he wouldnt give an opinion but since the UK are rolling it out i think ive made up my mind to get it.... it is expensive though....

I dont hold out much hope of the HSE getting its act together and rolling it out soon... i reckon that will be another two years or so...

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Gemma1982

I've been quoted 600 by my gp for the three meningitis b vaccines. Has anyone had any luck getting it any cheaper?

Gemma1982 wrote:
    I've been quoted 600 by my gp for the three meningitis b vaccines. Has anyone had any luck getting it any cheaper?

Have a look at the other thread linked in an earlier post. I got it slightly cheaper but not much.

• Advertisement

quoted, 113 per shot.... 4 shots...

that doesnt include administering it though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

My gp told me there's no plans yet to put it on the schedule. This was a couple of weeks ago when we were in for the first shot of it. She advised me not to wait in the hope the HSE would roll it out and do a catch up if I wanted to get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I'm giving it to my daughter after our holidays next month. She's 3yrs old so only needs two injections within a month period. The injection is €115 each plus gp fee to administer it.

I doubt it will be on the schedule this summer or this year. All staff will need training ect on the new vaccine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I don't understand how the cost of Bexsero seems to vary so much from what people have written on boards .... I rang a few pharmacies and they all quoted around €150 (for the vaccine itself, not to administer it). How can the cost difference be so huge?!

tinkerbell wrote: »
    I don't understand how the cost of Bexsero seems to vary so much from what people have written on boards .... I rang a few pharmacies and they all quoted around €150 (for the vaccine itself, not to administer it). How can the cost difference be so huge?!

that might be per injection.... i think at different ages children need different amounts of injections....
    if that price is for all injections send me on the pharmacy name :)

tinkerbell wrote:

Boots and Tesco pharmacies charge 130. My local pharmacy I think was charging 160. I presume the bigger places can save on delivery etc. I've heard a pharmacy in Newry is charging 110stg for it. Sure that would be more expensive than Boots or Tesco with the current exchange rate.

tinkerbell wrote: »

I guess some can do a bulk order and get discounts. My pharmacy is a small operation and has only ordered the vaccine for my children. It's right beside th gp surgery so I take the price hit for convenience. I've heard of people getting it about 30% cheaper than I paid but tbh it wasn't worth it to travel.across the city for the savings.

Eta I like to support local businesses too so I'll pay a premium I guess rather than shop in Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I asked my doctor about it and apart from cost she didn't think it was worth getting.
    He reasoning is that so few are getting it here that there is no group protection.

lazygal wrote: »
    I guess some can do a bulk order and get discounts. My pharmacy is a small operation and has only ordered the vaccine for my children. It's right beside th gp surgery so I take the price hit for convenience. I've heard of people getting it about 30% cheaper than I paid but tbh it wasn't worth it to travel.across the city for the savings.

can you tell me how much you paid in total?

I asked my doctor about it and apart from cost she didn't think it was worth getting.
    He reasoning is that so few are getting it here that there is no group protection.

what does he mean by group protection?... am confused now :)

• Advertisement

can you tell me how much you paid in total?

About 160x3, plus gp 50x3 appointments. It is expensive but my gp said she recommended it having seen how much suffering children go through with meningitis. Amputations etc.

lazygal wrote: »
    About 160x3, plus gp 50x3 appointments. It is expensive but my gp said she recommended it having seen how much suffering children go through with meningitis. Amputations etc.

thanks... its so hard to know what to do with some GPS recommending it and some not and others sitting on the fence....

I'm going to get it as i couldnt forgive myself if something did happen

I asked my doctor about it and apart from cost she didn't think it was worth getting. He reasoning is that so few are getting it here that there is no group protection.

This doesn't make sense. If your child can be immunised against Men B and you get the right number of vaccines at the right schedule then your child will be protected against the disease. It makes no difference to you if other children are vaccinated or not against it.

bovril wrote: »
    This doesn't make sense. If your child can be immunised against Men B and you get the right number of vaccines at the right schedule then your child will be protected against the disease. It makes no difference to you if other children are vaccinated or not against it.

thats what i was thinking..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

It is most definitely not being added to the schedule this year, the new schedule has been published and will be active from July 1st. It won't affect babies born before July 1st only babies being born after and it does not include the Men B vaccine, it includes one less dose of the Men C vaccine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

January wrote: »
    It is most definitely not being added to the schedule this year, the new schedule has been published and will be active from July 1st. It won't affect babies born before July 1st only babies being born after and it does not include the Men B vaccine, it includes one less dose of the Men C vaccine.

So no additions at all January?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

what does he mean by group protection?... am confused now :)
    he was probably talking about "herd immunity".

I left a prescription for the vaccine at my local pharmacy almost a month ago. They're low on stock or out of stock at the moment. She rings me every Thursday to say the same thing "no, we haven't got it yet" :(

My pharmacy had a week delay getting it but apparently that's because there's a newer version with a longer shelf life so the production of that was the reason for the delay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Yeah it's strange that they won't at least give you an opinion one way or another.

It is probably because he doesn't feel confident enough. GP's here have had very little education regarding the new vaccine. If he suggested one way or the other and your child got a reaction to the vaccine or he suggested that you didn't give it and your child got Men B then they could be blamed. They have no guidelines issued to them in relation to Men B vaccine in Ireland to advise you off.

Advertisement