Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do ye think Roscommon will vote in the Marriage Equality referendum?

• 18-05-2015 10:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

I'm curious to see how you lot think Ros will vote. What's the feeling in your experience?
    Are we going to be the bigoted county of Connacht?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭Suckler

Pique wrote: »
    I'm curious to see how you lot think Ros will vote. What's the feeling in your experience?

YES Campaign in a nut shell - "Vote for us or we'll brand you a bigot". How about letting people make up their own minds without having the threat of derogatory labeling hanging over them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Pique

Nobody is voting for me. I'm a married father.

I deliberately used that word to get a reaction because I want someone to tell me why they would vote no and yet not be bigoted.

The amount of misdirection and obfuscation of the actual issue under referendum by (ironically) Roscommons John Waters and his ilk in the Iona Institute is disgusting.

I want to vote for marriage equality on the basis of fairness. Why not? It does not and can not affect my life negatively but my son could be affected in future so I have no right to prevent that.

So you don't want to know how Roscommon people may vote you just wanted to push your side and AGAIN label anyone with a different opinion in a derogatory manner.You say you want equality but only on certain things that suits you. The manner of this sets a far worse precedent for the future but as long as you get your way, democratic freedom be damned.

There has been misdirection on both sides and yet you seem quick to draw on the name calling and disgusting labeling. Stink of arrogance to expect anyone who intends to vote differently you to have to explain their reasoning to you; for someone seeking equality you don't seem to tolerant.

"Disgusting labelling, derogatory manner, equality on things that suit, stink of arrogance."

The irony is strong in this one.

I simply asked a question but was met with aggressively defensive deflection. What a waste of time.

"Disgusting labelling, derogatory manner, equality on things that suit, stink of arrogance."

The irony is strong in this one.

I simply asked a question but was met with aggressively defensive deflection. What a waste of time.

You need to look up the definition of irony.
    Cherry picking and reconstructing my post is pretty pathetic.

You didn't ask a simple question; you just labelled anyone having a differing opinion simplistically as a bigot. I'll agree your post was a waste of time though.

• Advertisement

Ignoring my original question and cherry picking the word bigot out of it is pretty lame too. I'm well aware of the definition of irony, BTW. Accusing someone of something while simultaneously doing the very thing you are accusing that person of doing.

Maybe you as a pretty obvious no voter could explain to a yes voter why you are voting no without it being bigotry?

I'm capable of having my mind changed by persuasive reasoning.

The original questions still remain for any other Ros boards posters too.

Ignoring my original question and cherry picking the word bigot out of it is pretty lame too. I'm well aware of the definition of irony, BTW. Accusing someone of something while simultaneously doing the very thing you are accusing that person of doing.

Maybe you as a pretty obvious no voter could explain to a yes voter why you are voting no without it being bigotry?

I'm capable of having my mind changed by persuasive reasoning.

The original questions still remain for any other Ros boards posters too.
    Your original post was not a question, it was a soapbox for you to label those with a legitimately different opinion simply as a bigot, which is wrong. You even plainly admit you just used that inflammatory word to get a reaction, not to engage in a legitimate debate.

I've never accused you of being anything, yet you are the one simplistically and arrogantly labelling anyone who dared to try to explain their side to you as a bigot. Do you not think being labelled a bigot is a derogatory & disgusting term? I, for one, do, as I've clearly written. Your need to cherry pick words then reconstruct to suit your argument still doesn't irony prove.

You claim to be voting "yes" as a move toward equality but fail to have the basic cognizance that an equal society can have genuine differing opinions without fear of abuse from others.

Obvious No voter? Ah I see, anyone who questions you must be a nay-sayer for not jumping aboard the generalisation brigade and therefore a bigot in your wise eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

ill be voting no and im not scared to admit it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

If I was to make a guess, I'd say the county will vote No. Maybe 55-45%. My answer, FWIW is Yes.

We won't be the only county in Connacht to vote No either IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Going by the opinions of colleagues and relations in Roscommon, there seems to be a definite lean towards a no vote.
    I'm going home to vote so there'll be just one yes from my household.
    It makes me sad.

• Advertisement

ill be voting no

Can I ask why?

Why would you be scared to admit it?
    If you are, I think it's more of a reflection on you than on whoever you're admitting it to.

Why would you be scared to admit it?
    If you are, I think it's more of a reflection on you than on whoever you're admitting it to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I don't associate John Waters with the Iona institute.
    what a funny assertion!

The Iona Institute are a crazy right wing catholic lobby group.

Whereas Waters is.... I'm not sure exactly what he is

Can I ask why?

each to themselfs but fellas riding other fellas is not my cup of tea

A Roscommon native gaining international attention
    https://vimeo.com/128277807

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

They'll still "ride each other" as you so eloquently put it whether it's passed or not you know.

I swear some people think they're voting no to homosexuality.

I'm voting yes, as are all of my family.

Nobody's asking you to join in.

Going back to the original post - Now there's one you can label a bigot all day long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

At least ye tried lads. The country still has some respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Pete2k

Typical roscommon showing its backward bigoted views. An absolute disgrace when every other part of the country can move forward with the times were still stuck in the dark ages where like good little catholics we all do what the priest tells us coz the church is never wrong! Thank **** the rest of the country is not as backward as us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Was it 52% no go the end? Galway east wasn't much better with 52% yes?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Pete2k wrote: »
    Typical roscommon showing its backward bigoted views. An absolute disgrace when every other part of the country can move forward with the times were still stuck in the dark ages where like good little catholics we all do what the priest tells us coz the church is never wrong! Thank **** the rest of the country is not as backward as us!

It's an age issue, it's been said Roscommon has an old population compared to other areas, these have not changed their view

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,119 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Roscommon showing themselves up being the only county to vote no.

Quazzie wrote: »

Don't let the "South Leitrim" part distract you from your rant. Or the fact that many other constituencies saw low percentage wins of low 50's V high 40's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Invincible

Was it 52% no go the end? Galway east wasn't much better with 52% yes?!

51.4%
    South West Donegal only lost the vote by 33 votes!!

Invincible wrote: »
    51.4%

As a side note - it just go to show that a persons vote does matter and can change outcomes. What was the turnout % in SW donegal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Invincible

Suckler wrote: »
    As a side note - it just go to show that a persons vote does matter and can change outcomes. What was the turnout % in SW donegal?

51.55% turnout.

fair play to is, were the only crowd with a back bone to stand up to them

• Advertisement

I don't think you understood what the referendum was about.
    It's an awful pity there aren't basic intelligence tests at polling stations.

Next thing they'll be asking for women to have the vote :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Seriously though, I feel sorry for young LGBT Roscommon people.

Imagine walking down the street in your town/village knowing over half the people you pass (work with, go to college with, are related to) do not consider you worth treating equally?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,969 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Roscommon should add "The Nasty County" to all their signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭cuculainn

spurious wrote: »

Imagine walking down the street in your town/village knowing over half the people you pass (work with, go to college with, are related to) do not consider you worth treating equally?

Or imagine walking down any street in Ireland and knowing that on average over 38% of the people you pass (work with, go to college with, are related to) do not consider you worth treating equally?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

I must admit, as a Roscommon man who only visits the odd time, it's a bit mortifying to be the only county in Ireland to vote no. Looking at the graphic on the TV with the county in a red colour and all others green. You wouldn't want to care what others think about you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

Quazzie wrote: »
    if you break Sligo-north Leitrim down, north Leitrim had a 51.3% NO vote not sure what about the percentage in the south.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Well.... no one vote changed the outcome in the above or any constituency. Still worth voting though.
    Invincible wrote: »
    51.4%

Eh, they won the vote.

Showing your colours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

No but I expect those voting to have the basics of what they were voting for or against.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

So Roscommon is now united with Northern Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭munster87

No but I expect those voting to have the basics of what they were voting for or against.

Why do you think he didn't have the basics? Because he voted differently to you?

spurious wrote: »

You do realise over 730k nationwide voted no

munster87 wrote: »
    Why do you think he didn't have the basics? Because he voted differently to you?

Simplifying the referedum to "fellas ridin other fellas" and "having the back bone to stand up to them" is enough stupidity shown for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭rosser44

I guess the answer to that is pretty clear....... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

each to themselfs

Except clearly not. Clearly you want to decide for everyone else what they can or cannot do.

Glad it's passed nationwide. A proud day for our country, it's quite amazing to see how well received it is around the world.

Addle wrote: »

That's pretty much how I see it. Everyone I've been speaking to was voting yes. I guess we're just outnumbered by old fogies that come out of the woodwork at times like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,886 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Are you still riding toys Tom, or have you managed to find someone that would ride you?

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056696339/1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Have any no voters from Roscommon publicly voiced their pride about the county voting no? Or is there a slight feeling of shame over it all now?

Have any no voters from Roscommon publicly voiced their pride about the county voting no? Or is there a slight feeling of shame over it all now?

As I already said, 730k people voted no nationwide, do they feel shame? 17k if us here in Roscommon/Leitrim voted yes and are very happy with the outcome.

• Advertisement
Advertisement