Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cctv for a house

Options
  • 19-05-2015 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

Long sad story. I need to set up 4 cameras that has night vision on them. They need to be able to take a bang of a ball(I live beside a football field) I have around €300 to spend do ye have any recommendations or what should I be looking for. Thanks for any help

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You are not going to get anything anyway decent for that TBH.
    Have a look around the suppliers sticky and make a few inqueries that way. At least it will give an idea of equipment & prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

iano.p wrote: »
    Long sad story. I need to set up 4 cameras that has night vision on them. They need to be able to take a bang of a ball(I live beside a football field) I have around €300 to spend do ye have any recommendations or what should I be looking for. Thanks for any help

Not for that money but you could start off with one camera and build it up as funds become available.
    Have a look at the HikVision equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Thanks lads will have a look at spending more. Is there anything I need to look out for. I rang a lad today he said he will do 4 bullet cameras or something like that for €400 that had 600tvl and 1tb storage. He said that would be ok for what I need. Does any of that sound ok is that enough storage

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Thanks lads will have a look at spending more. Is there anything I need to look out for. I rang a lad today he said he will do 4 bullet cameras or something like that for €400 that had 600tvl and 1tb storage. He said that would be ok for what I need. Does any of that sound ok is that enough storage

1TB storage is grand.

You should get around 30 days maybe a little less depending on quality of picture chosen.

I got a 2tb and fitted in mine it was by accident though as had bought the 1tb.

600tvl would be quite good and 720tvl is very good.

Dome type would be best if you feel the cameras can be moved easily by a ball or that.

There are a lot of cheap systems available out there.
    In relation to CCTV in most cases you get what you pay for.
    Storage wise 1TB is ok. The main thing you want to see before he installs the system is what the playback will be like. In my own opinion the frame rate set up on the system should be as high as possible. Some will set it up for 5 or 6 frame rates, I set mine up for 25. 600 tvl tells us nothing either.
    Did the installer not give you a full spec off the camera plus a system design proposal?
    You would need to see these cameras in action at day and night mode to determine what suits you and your needs.

• Advertisement

altor wrote:
    There are a lot of cheap systems available out there. In relation to CCTV in most cases you get what you pay for. Storage wise 1TB is ok. The main thing you want to see before he installs the system is what the playback will be like. In my own opinion the frame rate set up on the system should be as high as possible. Some will set it up for 5 or 6 frame rates, I set mine up for 25. 600 tvl tells us nothing either. Did the installer not give you a full spec off the camera plus a system design proposal? You would need to see these cameras in action at day and night mode to determine what suits you and your needs.

He just said these would be great cameras for the price it will take him a day of fitting. I work on sites a lot and when I asked about insurance and so on as he will need ladders he said he does but will show me the details when he is fitting. I don't think I will go with him. I will try a few lads in the stickey. My wife really wants these sorted in a hurry. So would 500 get a good system. Sorry for all the questions.

He just said these would be great cameras for the price it will take him a day of fitting. I work on sites a lot and when I asked about insurance and so on as he will need ladders he said he does but will show me the details when he is fitting. I don't think I will go with him. I will try a few lads in the stickey. My wife really wants these sorted in a hurry. So would 500 get a good system. Sorry for all the questions.

I would get at lease 3 quotes and make sure you know what is being installed no matter what you pay. CCTV is such a big market that any amount of money you have in a budget can be catered for. The more you spend the better quality I would expect tho. Is the installer licensed?

You can install yourself.

You can install yourself.

I was looking at this but I am busy the next few weeks. So my wife wants in done asap. Some lad tyred to hang himself in our yard last Saturday. So the guard told her to get cctv. Now there is no talking she wants it done. I will ring around tomorrow thanks everyone.

I was looking at this but I am busy the next few weeks. So my wife wants in done asap. Some lad tyred to hang himself in our yard last Saturday. So the guard told her to get cctv. Now there is no talking she wants it done. I will ring around tomorrow thanks everyone.

Oh wow that I am sure is a real shock and stress nobody wants.

Any way of making it a lot harder to get in to your property such as planting thorn type bushes at end walls or side ones.

I'm sure they could be quite expensive especially mature ones but may be a good investment for a little added security.

• Advertisement

Any way of making it a lot harder to get in to your property such as planting thorn type bushes at end walls or side ones.

We have bushes and trees. We also have a big oak tree where this fella was going I am afraid this wasn't the first time before we moved in someone had killed them self's in the field. We are beside a schools playing field so we do have hassle with drinking and cars racing. I just want the cctv for my wife's peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 homeguru

Hi
    Dont rush into this there is a lot to cctv everybody thinks stick up a camera and all is well often people dont even look at it after a while as usually the picture and lighting are so bad they are virtually useless and yes even with infra red. These small systems are good in shops but outdoors is different try get a look at one similiar to what you are trying to do is best. Really for a clear picture requires a speed dome these are the things you see out in the streets that can move and zoom you dont see this as they are in a black dome but are quite expensive but vastly better so if you are thinking of a a system for 6/700 for 4 cameras which will only give you a hazy picture of your drive in reality see what one of these will cost i do understand lots of people put these small systems in for peace of mind protecting a car etc. and some do a job with good lighting and if its near to the cameras but for maybe not a whole lot more you could have a high quality system.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

you'd be best to go with an IP system as it seems like you need high quality video with all thats happening. +1 for the Hikvision gear.

Advertisement