Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 €1,000 requirement

Options
  • 19-05-2015 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭

J1 is booked and paid for, I've free accommodation and a job sorted but I don't have company details etc to register the job. However it's unlikely I'll have the recommended €1,000 in cash leaving Ireland, probably closer to €500-€700. How likely is it I'll be asked to prove I have the €1,000 at customs and if I don't have it when they ask what will happen? Will finding out the company details and registering the job help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Yup. The limit is €800 if you have a job guaranteed. And they are very likely to ask, all my friends that went last year were asked for proof. One lad had his Ma put in the few extra hundred for a few days, then transferred it back haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    Yup. The limit is €800 if you have a job guaranteed. And they are very likely to ask, all my friends that went last year were asked for proof. One lad had his Ma put in the few extra hundred for a few days, then transferred it back haha.

I might carry whatever I have in cash and have the parents lodge the difference between that and a thousand in my account then as soon as I touch down in the US transfer it back to them, assume that would be a foolproof plan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

As long as you kept that to yourself, I'd say you're grand :).

• Registered Users Posts: 7 thelonelyhour

I never once got asked at customs in any city to prove funds while entering on J1 visas. It's literally luck of the draw and who's on duty. I'm sure they have to question every couple of people.

Advertisement