Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

exchang upgrade, expected speed ?

Options
  • 19-05-2015 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,125 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm currently on an exchange which offers "up to 8Mb"

The max that the modem connects is at 4096mb ( speedtest.net tells me 3.5Mb)

When (if) the exchange is upgraded to 24Mb , should I benefit with a faster speed, or will my distance from the exchange limit me to my current speed.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

mikeecho wrote: »
    Hi

When (if) the exchange is upgraded to 24Mb , should I benefit with a faster speed,  or will my distance from the exchange limit me to my current speed.

Thanks
    I did similar and my speed went down from 3meg to less than 1 meg. I was offered a free "upgrade" from 8meg to "up to 24meg" broadband, but after I had moved over, I was told that the line could take 3meg at most based on distance to the exchange! The free upgrade was their sneaky way of locking me into a new 18 month contract. Unless you go efibre, your speed won't improve, and even then it's not reliable 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

mikeecho wrote: »
    Hi

When (if) the exchange is upgraded to 24Mb , should I benefit with a faster speed,  or will my distance from the exchange limit me to my current speed.

Thanks
    Hi mikeecho

If you would like to PM me your land line number I will be happy to look in to this for you.

Many thanks

Al

Advertisement