Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSN: Can I go to any office?

Options
  • 19-05-2015 6:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Does anyone know if I have to go to a certain Social Security Number office when i get to the US? I will be in a city for 5 days before i move to SF and i would like to get that sorted before i get there. thanx!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 thelonelyhour

Yes you can apply for a SSN at any office but here's the thing. You need an address they can send out the SSN to. It can take anywhere from a couple of days to a week to get to you. If you have an address in SF you can collect it from once you're over there, you should be okay. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭VisibleGorilla

Yes you can, it could work out better for you too. If you're in for example a place where not many people go, you should get the number issued to you quicker than in San Francisco. Provide a forwarding address and it could be there when you arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yep, you can go to any office. It doesn't matter which one you go to to, as they are all offices of the same branch of government - the Dept of Social Security Administration. But as others have said, you need to give them your US postal address, as they post the SS card out to you. They don't just hand it to you over the counter, on the day that you go in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 J1Summer2015

Thanks everyone, that will help me to get organised quicker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Thanks everyone, that will help me to get organised quicker!

You can't apply for a ss number until you've been in the country 10 days, it takes that long for your immigration status to filter through to their system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭McSween

You can't apply for a ss number until you've been in the country 10 days, it takes that long for your immigration status to filter through to their system.

This is not necessarily the case. I applied within 3 days in 2013 and my wife within 6 or 7 in January. She got the card quicker than me though.

McSween wrote: »
    This is not necessarily the case. I applied within 3 days in 2013 and my wife within 6 or 7 in January. She got the card quicker than me though.

tis true - but it was someone that works in SS it is best to wait for the 10 days as you could waste time sitting in those oh so cheery waiting rooms :)

My was OK within 5 days, my wife for some reason had to wait until the 10th even though we entered at the same time - which was lucky as she was flying back to Spain on the 11th day. Like your case her's came sooner than mine.

tis true - but it was someone that works in SS it is best to wait for the 10 days as you could waste time sitting in those oh so cheery waiting rooms :)

My was OK within 5 days, my wife for some reason had to wait until the 10th even though we entered at the same time - which was lucky as she was flying back to Spain on the 11th day. Like your case her's came sooner than mine.

You're right I remember USIT saying it also.

To be honest I found the DMV (driver licence) offices way worse than the social security. Some questionable characters coming in there - I should know I failed the computer test so many times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

McSween wrote: »
    You're right I remember USIT saying it also.

To be honest I found the DMV (driver licence) offices way worse than the social security. Some questionable characters coming in there - I should know I failed the computer test so many times :)

The DMV is somewhere I have to go, I'm still driving on my Irish license.

The DMV is somewhere I have to go, I'm still driving on my Irish license.

I have to renew my license and am putting it off - they only gave it to me as long as my I-94 was valid (3 years). Now that I'm perm I have to renew soon. Which means the test...all over again (except no practical)

The one in San Francisco actually has twin working in it, just like Patty & Selma.

• Advertisement

I got first licence in Daytona and when we moved to Jacksonville we had to get ones with the new address on it. They wanted all the same documentation again :rolleyes: .

• Registered Users Posts: 13 clearbrook

Email the Irish Immigration Pastoral Center in SF and ask them:

info @ sfiipc . org (sorry, can't post links yet)

Part of their mission is to help J1's so they may provide you with other good information as well. The Irish Center in Ocean City MD has special arrangements with their local Social Security Office to expedite cards, so perhaps the SF office also has an arrangement.

Good luck and enjoy your summer!

Advertisement