Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnant and overweight

Options
  • 19-05-2015 7:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Has anyone else in the forum been pregnant and overweight? I am carrying a lot of extra weight and am worried about scans etc.

I would really like to book an early scan at the 10 wks mark but I am worried they won't hear the heartbeat- had read it can be an issue.

I went to my GP earlier this year, she said getting pregnant would be more difficult due to my weight. I had just started with a personal trainer and a dietician before I visited her. Next thing I get pregnant that month (yay) but now I am worried and scared.

Apart from the weight I am in great health, had all bloods done recently and they are all normal.

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Congratulations on your pregnancy. I haven't been in your position, but just wanted to let you know that you will probably be tested regularly for gestational diabetes as you are overweight and also will probably see a dietician at hospital also.
    Did you know you can join slimming world when pregnant, I joined recently after having a baby and the plan is easy to follow. It might be an idea for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭Allirog

Little miss cutie, congratulations! How exciting. Try not to worry about scans and that yet but I would suggest booking one to put your mind at ease. I'm also overweight and never thought about my weight when it came to scans. I had one at 6 weeks and it was absolutely fine, not only could we hear the heartbeat but we could see it and got a picture :) the only thing is the sonographer may have to put extra pressure on you to get a good view but that's it really :) enjoy it! It's a lovely experience.

With regards the gestational diabetes being something you'll possibly be tested for regularly and seeing a dietician, well this isn't necessarily true. You might be tested once for it, and that will depend on your bmi. If you have a strong family history of diabetes they might keep a closer eye but don't let things like that worry you. Even pregnant woman with 'normal' bmi get gestational diabetes. It's not just associated with us that are overweight. I did the test once and it was clear and never once has a dietician been mentioned. You could end up being consultant led throughout your pregnancy rather than the options of a domino scheme or midwife led, depending on your hospital too.

Once you've had your booking in appointment id ask the midwife there for information about maintaining your exercise and healthy eating. She might be able to give you some good tips etc. also have a chat with your GP maybe?

Most importantly is that you enjoy it! And again, massive congratulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Thanks for the advice, trying not to worry too much but feel very guilty about being overweight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I also got pregnant while overweight, and had no issues with scans whatsoever. While they don't advise losing weight while pregnant, I pretty much maintained throughout just by eating healthily and actually ended up lighter after he was born. I suffered no issues until the final month when my blood pressure shot up but it's impossible to say if that was down to weight really.

Dolbert wrote: »
    I also got pregnant while overweight, and had no issues with scans whatsoever. While they don't advise losing weight while pregnant, I pretty much maintained throughout just by eating healthily and actually ended up lighter after he was born. I suffered no issues until the final month when my blood pressure shot up but it's impossible to say if that was down to weight really.
    Thanks Dolbert, I will speak to my GP this week. I have being keeping a food diary and will give that to the GP as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭layviae

I'm 17st and only 5ft 5 but I've been scanned externally since 8 weeks, with no issues so you should be fine at 10 weeks if not they can go internal if you request it, I'm currently 14 weeks and have lost 7lbs due to morning sickness and a reduction in appetite, hospital didn't mention my weight but gp is happy to keep an eye on it as I mentioned it,

layviae wrote: »
    I'm 17st and only 5ft 5 but I've been scanned externally since 8 weeks, with no issues so you should be fine at 10 weeks if not they can go internal if you request it, I'm currently 14 weeks and have lost 7lbs due to morning sickness and a reduction in appetite, hospital didn't mention my weight but gp is happy to keep an eye on it as I mentioned it,

Thanks Layviae, Glad I'm not totally alone in this
    I visited the GP today and he told me not to worry, just to be careful with my food and try to enjoy being pregnant :)

Advertisement