Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat climbing the house

• 19-05-2015 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone I wonder if someone would know how to stop this. My kitten is about 6/7 months old and is an absolute livewire. Recently she has taken to climbing our two story house to meow at us through the window.

I have to take her in through the window because she can't manage to get down but I feel like when I do this, it encourages her to do it again.

I don't mind that she's being adventurous but she has already hurt her leg from doing this and falling. I don't want her to hurt herself worse the next time.

If anyone could advise me on what to do I would really appreciate it. Thank you! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

our kitten prefers to climb through the windows to get in, rather than use a door (we humans are too slow to hear her calling us at a door??) When she wants to come in at night (she sleeps in the house overnight) we have often gone to bed, so she just comes in through the bedroom window - THUMP! - and we whisk her off for her dinner and bed :o We live in a single storey house though.

I cant imagine how you will stop her from doing this except, to close the curtains, make sure the window is closed, and ignore her calling you :eek: She might realize that you are not going to let her in that way and stop doing it. Tux bawls so piteously at the window that I couldnt ignore her, but then Im pretty well trained at this stage...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Figure out where's she's climbing up and add a net angled around 60 degree and 20cm long upwards around the area to prevent her from getting up there like the below picture.

stop-a-climbing-dog2.png

Also make sure she does have a suitable cat tower or similar to climb up on at a window (they like being high up and overseeing things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Some cats are just wild like that. My mothers cat has taken to letting herself in via the velux window in the loft. It quite a feat for her to do as she is pretty clumsy even climbing on top of the chest freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Shivi111

Is she a little young to be outside? We kept ours in for the first year (but I am, perhaps, overprotective!), as they climbed everything but were a bit more prone to falling than when they were bigger.
    The smallest cat managed to get out at about 8 months and got herself stuck up a tree, was up there for 48 hours until we managed to get her down, shes bigger now and runs up and down the same tree no problem.
    She's 6/7 months so probably spayed by now? Definitely keep her in if shes not, you'll end up with kittens! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

Thanks everyone, some great ideas! If she continues it I'll definitely get that net. We live on a farm so there are lots of places for her to climb without going that high. I like the climbing tower idea too so I'll get something for her!

I ignored her the last time she did it and she sat on the windowsill for an hour, crying and scratching at the window to get in. I felt so bad but I wanted her to know she isn't getting in every time she climbs the house.

She is a bit young but she's very adventurous and loves being outside exploring. She stays in the house during the night and when I'm home. She goes outside during the day and when we are eating (because she terrorises us when we have food).

Thanks again for the advice and I'll definitely try it out!

• Advertisement

Oh and yeah she is spayed and all of that so no little kittens.. much to my disappointment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

One word of warning regarding cats climbing in through windows. If you have the kind of windows that tip inwards, i.e. hinged at the bottom, it's possible for a cat to slip and get it's body, or worse it's neck, caught in between the window and the frame. A friend of ours in Germany lost their Bengal that way ... they came home, went into the bathroom, and the poor cat was hanging there strangled. Be warned.

Alun wrote:
    One word of warning regarding cats climbing in through windows. If you have the kind of windows that tip inwards, i.e. hinged at the bottom, it's possible for a cat to slip and get it's body, or worse it's neck, caught in between the window and the frame. A friend of ours in Germany lost their Bengal that way ... they came home, went into the bathroom, and the poor cat was hanging there strangled. Be warned.

Omg :(:(:( I'll be super careful about leaving windows open. Thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

KatW4 wrote: »
    Oh and yeah she is spayed and all of that so no little kittens.. much to my disappointment!

All the rescues in Ireland will soon be overwhelmed with litters of kittens needing good homes. Rescues are always desperate to find farm homes if you're looking for any kittens.

All the rescues in Ireland will soon be overwhelmed with litters of kittens needing good homes. Rescues are always desperate to find farm homes if you're looking for any kittens.

That's where we got her from and I'll definitely be looking into it again :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement