Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photo/video editing build advice

Options
  • 19-05-2015 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey guys,

I'm completely new to this and looking for a bit of advice. Firstly, I'm lost on what to do regards cooling of if it's even needed with what I'm using, any help would be great! Secondly I'm just looking for opinions on the build and any areas that I could change/improve on. I've never done it before and I'm not sure if the parts I've chosen make sense with each other.

I'll be doing mostly photo and video editing with Lightroom and Photoshop CC and Premiere and After Effects CS6 and some graphic and web design as well. Unlikely to be doing any gaming. I already have a monitor (Dell u2715h), an ssd (crucial m500 480gb), speakers and some external storage I'll be using as I work from a laptop as well and some stuff needs to travel.

The build is...

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K Box, LGA1150

Mobo: ASUS Z97-A / U3.1, Socket 1150 ATX

Case: Cooler Master Silencio 652S, silenced, without power supply

Memory: 16GB Kit Corsair Vengeance Low Profile Black PC3-12800U CL10-10-10-27

Power supply: Corsair CX Series Modular CX600M, 600W

GFX: MSI N760-2GD5 / OC 2GB DDR5

Storage: Crucial m500 480gb + 2 x WD 2TB Purple WD20PURX

My budget will top out at around €1300 or so.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Don't need a 600w PSU, 500w is loads

I'd get a better GPU for pushing your monitors, maybe a GTX 960

If you'll be over clocking, get a third party CPU cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212 for €30

Everything else is grand

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Paulohan

Sweet! Thanks for the advice.

I only have the one monitor and I won't be adding another as I've not space and won't have for the foreseeable future. Is the better GPU just nice to have or would I need it?

I'm not sure I'll overclock. I know feck all about it and I'm not sure I'll need to anyway.

No you wouldn't need it, 960 is a bit better, seems to be similar prices but your call. I'd get the 960 if they come in around the same price anyway.

Misread as having 2 monitors, 760 will be grand on a single regardless.

You won't need to overclock it, always something you can do in future if you want. It's easier than people think, more time consuming than anything

I had a quick look and the 960 is only about 20 bucks more. Probably better to do it right now rather than have to fix it later. Thanks for the advice dude!

Where are you buying from?

• Advertisement

Probably hardwareversand unless I can find the parts cheaper somewhere else. I knocked about 5=7% off with that discount site.

Advertisement