Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motherboard suggestions

Options
  • 19-05-2015 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

EVGA GeForce GTX 750 TI FTW ACX, 2GB DDR5, PCI-Express
    Intel Core i5-4670K Box, LGA1150
    8GB-Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600, CL9
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 1000GB, SATA 6Gb/s
    EVGA 500B,Bronze,
    BitFenix Prodigy Mini-ITX

Can somebody recommend a suitable motherboard that this would all work in please. Nothing too fancy just something that's reasonably cheap and does the job. Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Is this a pure gaming machine Matty?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Matty99

Pretty much yeah.

Drop CPU to an i5 4460 for €175
    Change GPU for a GTX 960 for €215

960 is about 80% better than the 750Ti, it'll cost you €15 more with the lesser CPU for much better gaming performance.

ASRock Pro4 H97 motherboard will be good, its about €80.

Edit* Disregard all that, you're going mITX, gimme a few minutes to scout the case

My friend has a similar build and it runs just about everything on max settings. Is the i5 4460 overclockable? Also, can you link me the 960 you're talking about

Everything being? Wouldn't hold a candle to most games newer than 2012 or so.

No, if you're gaming there's no need to overclock. Most of your gaming power comes from the GPU, very little of it is the CPU. 4460 will handle pretty much anything for a few years atleast.

• Advertisement

Well I mean he runs GTA V on the max settings and that's a pretty demanding game to run. Not sure if you're confused or something but the 750 TI FTW ACX along with the 4670k seems to run a lot of demanding games on high to ultra settings. Even a quick search on youtube I get a whole bunch of modern games been run with this setup such as Battlefield Hardline, GTA V etc.

At what resolution and framerate? I know that 970's hit about 55-60fps on GTAV at 1080p.

After some searching, most games run at about 30fps on the 750Ti Source

Here the 960 can been seen averaging at about 40 on Ultra, so obviously on High the 960 would be streets ahead, and last longer.

So, with a 960 and the 4460 I'd be able to play pretty much any game on max settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

At 1080p the 750Ti will run at medium to high in newer games. The Witcher 3 will be looking at low/medium settings. GTA5 probably medium/high depending on what settings you use. There is no getting around the bottleneck from that card in games. You could bump up the quality to high/ultra but that's only if you don't mind dropping down to a 30fps or lower... and honestly you want to stick around 60fps.

This is a good comparison to show what I mean.
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1038?vs=1130

You can add approx 10% to the 760 scores to get the 960.

So to sum up. You can run modern games with the 750 Ti, just don't expect it to last as long as a 960, running games at high. Digital is correct in his assessment. Get the i5. Forget overclocking. Get the 960 (or 760 if you can find it cheaper). You'll be shooting bad guys at high/ultra for much longer.

I've a 4460 in my PC and it doesn't struggle, so yeah its fine

960 can do everything the 750Ti can, except better basically. Few benchmarks I checked out showed someone hitting 90fps in GTAV with 4460 and 960, seems to average a bit under 60 in general

• Advertisement

To answer your original query, theres an mITX motherboard, and the MSI 960 will fit into your case no bother.

http://www.hardwareversand.de/DDR3/127045/ASRock+H81M-ITX%2C+Sockel+1150%2C+ITX.article?pvid=4p4uez92b_i9uk0lc0&ref=13

Will my power supply that I listed above be okay with a 960, or would I need to get a more powerful one?

No 500w is fine

Okay so I've taken the advice on board and have built this:

MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GD5, 2GB GDDR5, DVI, HDMI, 3x Displayport
    Intel Core i5-4460
    8GB-Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600, CL9
    EVGA 500B,Bronze,3Yrs Wnt
    WD Blue 1TB 6Gb's
    ASRock B85 Pro4, Sockel 1150, ATX
    BitFenix Prodigy Mini-ITX Gehäuse - weiß, ohne Netzteil

Will the motherboard and all that fit this build?

No, the motherboards too big to fit into your case. You need an ATX case, or an mITX motherboard.

Look at Antec One or Nanoxia DS3 for ATX cases, or the motherboard I linked a few posts ago for an mITX board

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

No, the motherboards too big to fit into your case. You need an ATX case, or an mITX motherboard.

Look at Antec One or Nanoxia DS3 for ATX cases, or the motherboard I linked a few posts ago for an mITX board

Alterntively there is a micro atx prodigy out there, and you could use a micro atx motherboard in that if you are short on ports in the itx? Its the same size as the itx prodigy on the outside, laid out differently on the inside.

Didn't realise there was an mATX Prodigy! That's probably a better idea Matty, more space for airflow etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Didn't realise there was an mATX Prodigy! That's probably a better idea Matty, more space for airflow etc

Not really - its the same size case, just the mobo is oriented vertically to fit! No idea if there are any extra restrictions on power supplies or graphics cards size wise, would do well to look up one of the review in any case.

Any particular reason your going itx? In general m-atx works out cheaper, for the motherboard anyways, you pay a premium for the small footprint of the itx, and a premium for the added benefit of full atx over m-atx. That said i do like nice and tidy, wish i had kept my Ncase M1 for a future build instead of selling it :(. Needs must though

Yeah I just realised what I said made no sense :pac: Should fit same sized GPU though, the 969 was okay by like 50mm

I like the look of the Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI, Sockel 1150, ITX - That should fit and everything should work on it, right?

• Advertisement

Seriously off the ball the last while :o Yeah that board is fine

Thanks :) Also, what's the difference between all the GTX 960s? I see other ones around the same price and some are a little bit more expensive such as the EVGA GeForce GTX 960 Superclocked graphics card - GF GTX 960 - 2 GB, or the Gainward GeForce GTX 960 OC graphics card - GF GTX 960 - 2 GB -

Some of them are clocked differently, e.g. the EVGA Superclocked, but for the most part they perform pretty much the same. MSI is about 215 new, can't go wrong with it

I'm using the German site to build it, is it the first one when you type ''GTX MSI 960'' for 194.99? I would post a link but I'm a new user.

And it'll fit fine?

You've to unscrew one of the hard drive bays I believe, but yes it'll fit.

Okay. So I have everything now.

Intel Core i5-4460 in-a-Box
    MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 2G, 2GB GDDR5
    EVGA 500B,Bronze,3Yrs Wnt
    8GB-Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600,
    Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI, Sockel 1150, ITX
    WD Blue 1TB 6Gb's
    BitFenix Prodigy Mini-ITX Gehäuse - weiß, ohne Netzteil

total: €745,64

I'll take it all checks out and works together before I buy it? Also, do you know what price it is for delivery as I have only about 800 to spend and I don't want to go over that.

You can knock another €20 off that if you type every part into Geizhals.de (I've just checked)

Delivery is €12

If you can stretch to €820 you can fit a crucial BX100 250gb SSD, delivered.

Aside from that, you're good to go

• Advertisement

Thanks a bunch man! So that website is different then the one I'm buying or?

Advertisement