Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My sabbatical story

Options
  • 19-05-2015 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I have recently got approval for my WHV for Oz. I have 12 months to which to use it.

My background:

I've a house (which I will probably let out or rent rooms individually)..there would be absolutely no problem finding tenants (but hopefully the ''right'' tenants). All this can be sorted in no more than a month!

I'm going to try and ask for a sabbatical from work (if not possible, I will just quit and go regardless...you only live once!). I only need to give a months notice to leave.

My whole idea of taking a year out is to travel and see as much of Oz, NZ, Asia as I can. I've a sister living in Sydney.

I think I will start off with going to Australia (Sydney to begin with) - finding a job - work for about 10/11 months. Then spend a month travelling Australia (I've been to Oz before, so I've seen Sydney, Melbourne and Tasmania).

Then I will maybe spend another month travelling New Zealand and another in Asia - then (maybe!) fly come to Ireland!

I'm basically just looking for any tips or helpful comments/recommendations on this sabbatical (it may even end up being for longer period ..who knows!).

Has anyone been in a similar position? I'm really just trying to put some kind of travel itinerary together...I still don't know when I will leave...but I've been considering January, as I want to stick around for Xmas and fly back with my sister to Sydney.

Thannks for any replies :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

If traveling is your main goal then spending three months in SE asia is cheaper, easier and more fun than trying to find work and paying bills in Australia. I'm not saying not to work in Oz, it's just that Australia can be expensive.
    You can see more of Australia in three weeks vacation than WHV do in a year as they're chasing the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ElecKtrA

catbear wrote: »
    If traveling is your main goal then spending three months in SE asia is cheaper, easier and more fun than trying to find work and paying bills in Australia. I'm not saying not to work in Oz, it's just that Australia can be expensive.
    You can see more of Australia in three weeks vacation than WHV do in a year as they're chasing the cash.

Cheers for your opinion and I understand where you are coming from..but I guess I kinda want to immerse myself in the Aussie way of life for a while..having already been there as a tourist, I'd like to experience working life there too. I couldn't take three months off to just travel (well I suppose I wouldn't be against it) but I like to diversify it with working, travel and social life intertwined.

Also, working in Oz will hopefully give me a better financial outcome to fuel my travels to NZ and Asia :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

ElecKtrA wrote: »
    Cheers for your opinion and I understand where you are coming from..but I guess I kinda want to immerse myself in the Aussie way of life for a while..having already been there as a tourist, I'd like to experience working life there too. I couldn't take three months off to just travel (well I suppose I wouldn't be against it) but I like to diversify it with working, travel and social life intertwined.

Also, working in Oz will hopefully give me a better financial outcome to fuel my travels to NZ and Asia :)

Well.... it's like anywhere English speaking but hot in terms of work. It's no different assuming you work in an office job. However... if you want to work and save a bit for Asia then sure go for it assuming you're happy you've the relevant skills to get a job quickly?

Well.... it's like anywhere English speaking but hot in terms of work. It's no different assuming you work in an office job. However... if you want to work and save a bit for Asia then sure go for it assuming you're happy you've the relevant skills to get a job quickly?

I think I should have absolutely no problem with finding work (I'm very optimistic and perhaps slightly confident)...I guess you sort of have to have an outlook like that when venturing into new territories. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭krustycustomer

Im in the same boat, family in Oz, but thinking SEA for 2 months Nov and Dec then 2 years in oz, 1 in Nz both working. then Vancouver via travelling south america and USA. plans plans plans

• Advertisement

Im in the same boat, family in Oz, but thinking SEA for 2 months Nov and Dec then 2 years in oz, 1 in Nz both working. then Vancouver via travelling south america and USA. plans plans plans

Wow...loving the sound of that! Go you!! :D

Yep, regarding the ''planning process'' I reckon you can only plan so much (have a vague idea initially) and then leave things grow, develop, and naturally happen along the way..that's all part of the fun and risks are meant to be taken ;)

I've South America and North America on my ''bucket list'' too...but first things first....Australia and beyond :D

Advertisement