Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post 5X5 Stronglifts

• 19-05-2015 12:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭

The Stronglifts was my introduction in lifting weights in the GYM. I been doing it a while but want to move on to something different but with all the same core lifts. I checked the bodybuilding website but was bit over load.

Im just looking for a simple but effective programme. I was thinking might be good to switch to 8x3 rather than the 5x5. Im happy to stick to the 2-day split or move up to a 3-day.

Any advise would be appreciated or direction to any suitable work out programmes.

I think the stronglifts was great...just feel its time to move on and try other routines. Stronlifts was great for foundation in form in some of the most important lifts.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Simple but effective

But there are plenty of different programs. Madcow is the one that Medhi suggests after you've 'outgrown' Stronglifts. But that doesn't mean it's the best program.

And I wouldn't necessarily be looking to apply the one sets/reps scheme for all exercises, across the board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Candito's 6 week program is very good and I know a few lads from my gym who made some great gains off that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Looks interesting although the rips system might be too complicated for someone at my stage right now. I was thinking about doing something a little more traditional...3-day split 8x3 on most excerises.

Are the 3 sets that common anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

carbonkid wrote: »
    Looks interesting although the rips system might be too complicated for someone at my stage right now. I was thinking about doing something a little more traditional...3-day split 8x3 on most excerises.

Are the 3 sets that common anymore?
    What's the "rips system", I don't remember that being a part of candito's 6 week program. It's pretty easy to follow with the spreadsheet. There's also the candito linear program where every week is the same.

Why do you want to move away from stronglifts? "just feel its time to move on" Sounds like change for the sake of change.
    How long have you been doing SL? Where are your lifts currently? If you still have scope to continue with simple linear progression, then I’d stick with that. Take the fast progress while its there.

3x8, 3 day split is a typical BB routine. SL is strength training. While the two aren't mutually exclusive, if your goal is strength training, and continuing to focus on the same core lifts. Then you should stick with a strength program. A BB routine won’t have the same focus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

It's all about volume , if you do the same weight 5x5 at 8x3 you're actually doing less volume and won't make as good progress.

+1 for the candito program, if you don't want to do the 6 week program just do the linear one.

I also don't think 2 days a week is enough. You should be looking at 3 minimum, I'd recommend 4

• Advertisement

Ok i see...i didn't realise theres a strength routine separate from a body building routine. I figured if i am doing one im also doing the other.

From what i can tell...the strength training is much more compound focused with low rips (5-6) and higher sets. BB is the classic 3-day split isolating 2 muscle groups per session like chest/tricips, shoulders/biceps and final day on Back/legs. Higher rips (8-10) with 3-4 sets. This is just me getting a very generalised idea in my head of how it all works.
    Mellor wrote: »
    Why do you want to move away from stronglifts? "just feel its time to move on" Sounds like change for the sake of change.
    How long have you been doing SL?
    I am getting a little tired of the same routine and would like to change it up. Im at 85kg squat (Full deep squat) and have plateaued for a while now.
    papu wrote: »
    +1 for the candito program, if you don't want to do the 6 week program just do the linear one.

I checked out the candito program from official website. The linear one seems easy enough to follow and might be good for me to start off with.

Thanks guys for all this info. Is there any particular book that would come recommended for different routines and information on building muscle/strength?

If you've plateaued at 85kg squat you really shouldn't be looking to switch programs and you're doing something fundamentally wrong.Switching programs , switching rep schemes and switching up accessory movements really won't help in the long run. 5x5 should take beginners up to 1.5x BW squat atleast. You aren't milking the linear gains for all they've got and you'll find the exact same stalling problem on any other program you go on. Progression from compound lifts should be 70% of your goal , close variations 20% , 5% for accessories and 5% for other General physical preparedness stuff (prowler, sprints, walking, keeping active ect..)

You're going to have to make sure your form is nailed down whatever you do (squatting to just below parallel is enough). You're eating enough and getting enough recovery and you shouldn't ever stall on any program.

I was at 100kg on squat a while back but that wasn't a clean movement with good form so i cut the weight right back. Focused more on the form and sitting right down into the squat past knee level. This was using legs muscles i hadn't been training so i couldn't do the 100kg anymore.

Everything your saying Papu sounds like really solid advise. There is still alot more gains i can get from the 5x5. I just have been doing this routine for good while now and wanted to change things up. I feel a bit like im just going through the paces.
    papu wrote: »
    You aren't milking the linear gains for all they've got and you'll find the exact same stalling problem on any other program you go on

What are linear gains? I don't understand this part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

How long have you been doing it for?

Oh, and just to avoid any misunderstanding, it's 'reps' (repetitions) not 'rips'.

You don't need to change programme just yet but if you do, try and pick a programme that's already been devised and don't go making one up based on the set/rep schemes you've read about.

What are linear gains? I don't understand this part.

Basically progressing at a steady rate, by say adding 2.5 or 5kg to the lift each week or something, it's the kind of progression that 5x5 uses, In reality people do not become stronger linearly but having a program which progresses at this rate is more suited to someone who's quickly increasing in strength.

To get stronger you're going to have to progress ( By doing more volume ), either by lifting more weight , or doing more reps and sets. If you're following the program you should be making progress, and so each training should be some kind of PR and it shouldn't really feel like it's just going through the motions. There should always be some kind of goal there.

• Advertisement

If you were squatting 100kg, but dropped to 84kg when you sorted your form. Then, imo, you should stick with 5x5 and work on improving form.
    I agree with papu above that stalling at 84kg is a sign that something is wrong, but not the program.

Theres nothing wrong with 5x5 program...in fact its been great for teaching me good form on some of the more important lifts. Ive been doing it for about 8 months but only dropped the weight and focused on form in the last 2-3 months.

Im just bored of it at this stage and wanna try something new where i can change up the exercises (same muscle group) every so often.
    You don't need to change programme just yet but if you do, try and pick a programme that's already been devised and don't go making one up based on the set/rep schemes you've read about.

I guess this is what im looking for advise on. I remember doing a BB 3-day split years ago. Two muscle groups per day...3 days a week. Rather then making up my own workout like this, am i better off following a program like candito's?

What kind of program are you guys all using and what gains are you after from it?

Im just bored of it at this stage and wanna try something new where i can change up the exercises (same muscle group) every so often.
    Continuing with 5x5 for a while will probably see the best progress. But a compromise between that and a change would be to change the exercises but stick to a 5x5 progression.

Changes like;
    1. Add power cleans and pull ups (starting strength 5x5)
    2. Switch Squatm, Deadlift and Bench to variations like Front squats, Rack pull and floor press. Switch OHP to push press.
    I guess this is what im looking for advise on. I remember doing a BB 3-day split years ago. Two muscle groups per day...3 days a week. Rather then making up my own workout like this, am i better off following a program like candito's?
    You are much better off following a tried and tested strength program like candito. A BB split is not conducive to your goals, and you'll likely leave "gaps".
    What kind of program are you guys all using and what gains are you after from it?
    I started with a 5x5 variation. Tried out WS4SB for a bit, and Madcow. (3-4 years). Took an break.
    Returned to 5x5 linear progression style after an 8 month break and surpassed previous PRs

Advertisement