Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPU Upgrade

Options
  • 19-05-2015 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,039 ✭✭✭✭

So looking to upgrade my GPU to see me through the new console generation at least and since I can get a 970 for €360, I'm thinking I'll go for that, as I don't want to be upgrading again in another 2 years.

So was looking for some input before going ahead:
    My current desktop has
    Processor- FX8320
    GPU 6870
    8GB RAM
    PSU Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W
    Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 SKT-AM3+ Motherboard

I know the CPU can be overclocked if need be, but would the PSU and/or motherboard need to be upgraded as well?

And I'm leaning towards the MSI version. Would this be the better one or is there much difference?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

970 is probably a good choice, will be fine on PSu and motherboard. Gigabyte one is about 340, don't know the MSI off the top of my head, but its similar

• Registered Users Posts: 29,039 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Thanks! Where'd you see it for 340?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭satguy

The 970 has that question mark about how much memory it really has..

I would look at something else..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6k55epUBCE

Look it up .......

Thanks. Yeah heard about the VRAM thing. I'm just looking for a card to let me run everything smoothly, so not too worried about maxing everything out.

As for that Gigabyte card, I always wondered what's the difference between the brands?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

AFAIK Some are clocked differently, cool better or may have different QC issues, but across.the board pretty much all 970s etc preform at an almost constant level. Could be wrong there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

The VRAM issue will generally not come into play, unless you are playing 4k and on ultra settings in games. Extensive testing was done and its rare for anything on the market to push the card to its 3.5 VRAM limit, and the likelyhood is nothing will for some time.

970 is still the optimum GPU at the price range I can tell, just issues with NVIDIA in terms of the way they are operating as a company at the moment that is turning a lot of people off.

In terms of manafacturer, as Digital says performance wise all the same, but things like coolers, coil whine etc are different between the brands. For example Palit are terrible, where as MSI and Gigabyte ones are good and the most sought after.

Yeah, I have my PC hooked up to my tv so 1080p is the max it can do anyway.

The reason I ask about the differences in models as well is why the price difference, with the above Gigabyte one being 327 but the MSI one (here) being 367. I do see the clock speeds and size are different

Doesnt that german crowd show prices ecluding VAT or something?

Most places a MSI 970 is going to set you back €400, as will the Gigabyte G1, its a pretty horrible time to be buying a GPU to be honest with the currency in bits.

I'm holding off until later in the summer, but the Gigabyte G1 970 is what I'm looking at.

It shows prices with German VAT of 19% instead of Irish 23%. Brother lives over there so can just get it delivered to him and ask him to bring it over when he's home next month. Thinking as well if get it now with the 2 free games, I can sell the Witcher 3 code to get a bit back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Recurve360

TheDoc wrote: »
    Doesnt that german crowd show prices ecluding VAT or something?

Most places a MSI 970 is going to set you back €400, as will the Gigabyte G1, its a pretty horrible time to be buying a GPU to be honest with the currency in bits.

I'm holding off until later in the summer, but the Gigabyte G1 970 is what I'm looking at.

No there VAT inclusive. All you pay extra is 11.99 shipping charges no matter how much stuff you order.

That is a good price then, although I've had a bad experience with Haard so dont shop with them.

Advertisement