Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduate Entry Medicine UL

• 19-05-2015 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hiya,
    So i'm considering entering GEM in Ireland a year from September. The course looks amazing and i really want to do it but i'm finding it hard to find current information on where to get loans that cover the fees? (I'm looking at the University of Limerick Course). Any help on where to find information on these loans would be greatly appreciated.
    Also, the thought of debt that big as soon as i'd enter intern year scares the living daylights out of me...is it really possible to pay it back over the course of the first 10 years working? I don;t know much about intern salaries etc.

Please and thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 screweddoc

It is not possible to pay back the loan on a doctors salary. Doctors are currently paid less than the legal minimum hourly wage in Ireland and even after 10 plus years of working to become a consultant you will be on a salary of less than 50000 per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭newwan

Thats not true man come on...
    Its tough but do-able. Im 3 years post grad and about half of my loan paid off. I only took 55k. Could have much more paid off but i decided i wanted a holiday or two...

If you go to a peripheral hispital as intern, you can do a lot of call and work hard. That will pay more. Also if you get straight on a run thru scheme you will be an spr1 after 3 years which is 61k basic.

It is do-able but be prepared for tough times for about 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

screweddoc wrote: »
    It is not possible to pay back the loan on a doctors salary. Doctors are currently paid less than the legal minimum hourly wage in Ireland and even after 10 plus years of working to become a consultant you will be on a salary of less than 50000 per year.

Not true
    I earn 59,000 gross as first year SHO with overtime (39,000 without) and if I pass a membership exam next week I get a raise to 50,000 plus overtime.
    I am in a run through scheme (there are a few of these depending on specialty ; not surgery or medicine yet) so in theory in 6 1/2 years time I am eligible to do locum consultant and apply for consultant position.
    It is a complete untruth to say anyone working 10 years is on less than 50,000!
    I pay back the loan grand - I pay it weekly but admittedly with a two income household. It would be tough on my own, but don't forget your salary does go up every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 screweddoc

On the new consultant's contract, after tax you will be making less than €50 000. When you consider the amount of hours a consultant works, this is just above the legal minimum wage. It is important that anyone considering doing graduate medicine knows this. The idea of graduate entry medicine and the loans that would finance it was all designed before doctors salaries dropped this low which makes it now infeasible

Advertisement