Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do whippets shed?

• 19-05-2015 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

We recently got a whippet and he has started shedding like crazy the last couple of weeks. Is this a normal spring moult? Also does it increase dandruff ? He does tend to dry skin so have started adding sunflower or olive oil to his food. Would raw eggs be any help?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

All dogs shed, most heavily in spring and autumn when their summer/winter coats are coming in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,583 ✭✭✭✭fits

I have a whippet. This time of year is the worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,656 ✭✭✭Milly33

Best go invest in a dust buster... As said all dogs shed unless you get a bichon fries still amazed at them. We have one two and I thought uhh short hair heaven, I will eat my words now

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Natibaby

Thanks I never thought he would shed this much, he has a very sparse coat but still nothing compared to our old lurcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭ra0044

Mine is shedding like crazy at the moment as well. I got absolutely covered in hair yesterday after my welcome home from work frantic 5 minutes of him wanting cuddles and leaning on me.

I find adding some oily fish to his dinner once or twice a week works wonders for the condition of his coat and reduces the shedding a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,656 ✭✭✭Milly33

was laughing when I went home with this post as the place was covered in hair.. Shedding season has begun.. The oil trick I heard is very good too for their coats as you mentioned.. The dry skin too sometimes I would put some of the coconut oil on our ones coat, even use it as a massage oil for her when her legs get sore. You can buy the solid stuff in the chemist and just melt it in your hand and rub it on might help

Advertisement