Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Broker Recommendation

Options
  • 19-05-2015 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi

I'm interested in mortgage broker recommendations.

Looking at
    showthread.php?p=95194969
    and
    showthread.php?p=95458162
    (I cannot post a url)
    ...it appears that this can only be done via PM.

It would be great if the board could help me out!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

My recommendation is simply don't.

Back in the day everyman, his dog and his dogs subsidiary was lending in Ireland. Now it's only the major banks and even some of them are essentially the same entity. Some won't deal with brokers.

Basically apply directly your checklist is (in no particular order)

KBC
    BoI
    UlsterBank

EBS
    AIB - These three are all AIB now? Do AIB even do mortgages not through Haven?
    Haven

There's another one niggling away at me, I'm sure someone will tell you if there's any I've missed.

Once you have your stuff together for one, you pretty much have it sorted for all. A broker can't help you 'put yourself across better' either anymore as it's a simple numerical calculation and a credit check, backed up with payslips and P60s.

<Mod Snip - recommendations are not permitted on thread!>

If there are only about 6 choices then what is the purpose of a mortgage broker?

Can a broker get a better rate by making the same application for you?

Surely not?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Folks - the charter does not permit recommendations to be given on thread. If you wish to discuss the merits of using a broker, go ahead, but if you post a recommendation you will be sanctioned.

that's fair enough..

Yes, just trying to find out what the merits are...

Seems to be

- One form, broker then does the work
    - Broker gets a payment from bank for a new customer.

- However, broker does not get you a better rate

I'm just interested in the last point, whether they can get a better rate, which I think not. I don't mind filling out the forms for each application myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

KBC
    BoI
    UlsterBank

EBS
    AIB - These three are all AIB now? Do AIB even do mortgages not through Haven?
    Haven

There's another one niggling away at me, I'm sure someone will tell you if there's any I've missed.

ptsb???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

reick wrote: »
    If there are only about 6 choices then what is the purpose of a mortgage broker?

Can a broker get a better rate by making the same application for you?

Surely not?

Unfortunately, from memory here, some banks will not work with brokers so if you choose to go with a broker you will be limited to banks that work with brokers. I went with a broker and was glad for it, they did all the chasing and photocopying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Alicano

Hi OP.
    I will PM details of broker to you. Highly recommend using one. They take all the hassle out of it, deal with every party involved and all for free.
    Six weeks for me between deposit and Keys (that included Easter and May bank holiday). I hardly had to lift a finger. Zero stress.
    But it is of course your choice.

Alicano wrote: »
    Hi OP.
    I will PM details of broker to you. Highly recommend using one. They take all the hassle out of it, deal with every party involved and all for free.
    Six weeks for me between deposit and Keys (that included Easter and May bank holiday). I hardly had to lift a finger. Zero stress.

Can you PM me too please?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hi OP.

That's the solicitor on both sides
    rather than the mortgage broker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Had dealings with both bank and broker recently. bank (ptsb) were simply awful to deal with and as a result i will be pulling my business from them. Broker was a pleasure to deal with and made things so so easy. Yes there was less of a choice, but in the end Haven worked out as cheaper for us. Plus to entice us away from the bank the broker threw in a few goodies :)

• Advertisement

... to entice us away from the bank the broker threw in a few goodies :)

Interesting.. but I'm trying to figure out what you mean by goodies?

ted1 wrote: »
    That's the solicitor on both sides
    rather than the mortgage broker
    Only partly. Broker set up solicitor, surveyor and home insurer for me. All of whom worked as quick as he did. I'm sure he wouldn't be dealing with them otherwise. Anyhow, easiest thing I've done and felt it was well worth doing.

Only partly. Broker set up solicitor, surveyor and home insurer for me. All of whom worked as quick as he did. I'm sure he wouldn't be dealing with them otherwise. Anyhow, easiest thing I've done and felt it was well worth doing.

And what price did you pay for the service?

ted1 wrote:
    And what price did you pay for the service?

Nothing. Broker took his fee from the bank only in the event of us drawing down. Some brokers charge but if I'm honest I would have gladly paid a fee for the service received.

Nothing. Broker took his fee from the bank only in the event of us drawing down. Some brokers charge but if I'm honest I would have gladly paid a fee for the service received.

Well how much was the solicitor , surveyor, insurance etc and what rate did you get?

Advertisement