Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine for no NCT on a van at checkpoint

Options
  • 19-05-2015 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I was stopped at a checkpoint recently in a commercial car-van which is taxed privately. When it was taxed originally, about 5 years ago, i was advised by the person in the tax office to tax it privately so that it would be DOE exempt and wouldn't have to get it tested.

When i was stopped at the checkpoint i was asked for CRW I explained this to the guard and they said that this was not the case and that it would need Either a CRW or NCT, i was unsure which test applied a it was taxed privately .

I accepted this,
    I handed my licence and insurance into nearest garda station as instructed, booked the van in for CRW test as required (not an NCT) which it has now passed and waited to pay the fine,

however when the fine came in the post it stated the offence was "use vehicle without NCT certificate".

fine 60 euro and 3 points

could i get off this on a technicality because technically you cant do an NCT on a car-van. it should have been "use vehicle without CRW" if i don't pay the fine and it goes to court would the judge throw it out or say well it didn't have a proper cert either and give me the higher penalty of 5 penalty points of that offence.

Comments

Advertisement