Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Witcher 3 - Wild Hunt [PC Edition]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

660 ti is the minmum for Witcher 3,its well above the minimum for Witcher 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

^ And yet they have comparable graphics. I'm aware of how old TW2 and my GPU are... it doesn't stop the fact that games don't look much better these days and that there are decade old games that still come out with better graphics in important areas.

http://i.imgur.com/NDxuvM1.jpg < large image

pwXGfOe.gif

The long and short of it is... The Witcher 2 looked better on my computer. The Witcher 3 looks worse because I have to put everything to low (except textures which make the biggest difference aside from resolution in my opinion with this particular game) and am playing below 1080p. No matter what the technical reasons are, that's what it is how it turned out to me as a consumer.

Edit: After a reboot, TW3 performance seems to be a little bit better. Not a whole lot better but 1080p isn't giving me a headache anymore. I still think I'll stick with sub 1080 though because 60+ is more important to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

^ And yet they have comparable graphics. I'm aware of how old TW2 and my GPU are... it doesn't stop the fact that games don't look much better these days and that there are decade old games that still come out with better graphics in important areas.

http://i.imgur.com/NDxuvM1.jpg < large image

pwXGfOe.gif

The long and short of it is... The Witcher 2 looked better on my computer. The Witcher 3 looks worse because I have to put everything to low (except textures which make the biggest difference aside from resolution in my opinion with this particular game) and am playing below 1080p. No matter what the technical reasons are, that's what it is how it turned out to me as a consumer.

I've similar spec. As 30fps was enough for me for now I've most of things on high, few on uber and medium. If turn off the 30fps limit, it jumps to around 35. With few more things taken from uber to high ill get 40.
    Its not a CSGO where every fps counts so im happy with the compromise between look and fps.
    Try the SweetFX mod. It's not a mayor difference but at least the game gets a little darker. Original is nice, but a little to "colorful" for me.
    Still many bugs, but a still 30€ well spend. My wife probably will be mad at me for playing till 4am :P

^

Yeah but it's still an action game when it comes down to it. Constantly riding around on a horse, combat is very dodge and counter attack focused. I definitely want responsive controls... and as I said before 30 just looks and feels so blurry, sluggish and yuck. I've decided to stick with the sub 1080p with high textures and FPS. I'm getting 60+ like this so it's all good. I try to forget about the graphics after a certain point and just enjoy the game its self because that's what it's all about.

You now what they say: whatever makes You happy. I would love to upgrade gpu but im getting decent value from current one so it would be pointless to spend 300€+ just for few more fps.
    To be honest first hour I was just running in the fields gathering berries and stuff. Cutting bandit in half felt good, but Shadow of Mordor is in first place for me if we talk about pleasure of killing.
    If they get bugs sorted out it could be easily game of the year.
    This mod looks interesting. In ini file there's more graphic options than in menu.
    Worth checking.
    MOD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Glebee

Really tempted to pick this up, but still only half wat through GTA5...:(

Glebee wrote: »
    Really tempted to pick this up, but still only half wat through GTA5...:(

I was in the middle of GTA5 as well, but after few minutes of playing TW3 i'm totally taken by it. Even thou the bugs are pain in the ar... it's still great game worth getting. One of few games in which I try to read everything and go everywhere, I havent done that from Suikoden 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Im not seeing these bugs people speak off ?

Only gripe is when running I have a tendency to light candles :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've had one CTD about an hour after i started, and not run into a single bug since in the 25+ hours i've put in. When i loaded a game once, Geralt did decide to jump non stop for about 30 seconds, but that was too funny to be a bug :)

Respawning monsters are a pain in some places though. I was clearing a ruin of some Wraiths, and after killing 3 or 4 of them, i had saved it. When i died and respawned, i was in the middle of the ruin, surrounded by about 6 wraiths with no way of escaping. Had to reload an earlier game. Guessing it's a way of stopping from abusing the save system, but it was bloody frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

My own outstanding problem with this game is the god awful parry system in it. I swear to god I've gotten it to work once in 4-5 hours of play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

version 1.04 on pc out now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Can someone who has a R9 290x please post the settings you are using

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

sigh

Im still annoyed by no AMD drivers for the Witcher 3
    I cant wait for the day when I go back to Nvidia. At least with them I wont be waiting on drivers

Skerries wrote: »

I lost around 10fps on it. Will have to go thru the setting again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

yoshiktk wrote: »
    I lost around 10fps on it. Will have to go thru the setting again.

Both patches reset a ton of options and keybindings on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

dunworth1 wrote: »
    Can someone who has a R9 290x please post the settings you are using

V-sync: On
    Max FPS: 60
    1920x1080
    Borderless Window
    Nvidia Hairworks: Off

Water textures: Ultra

Everything else set to high

Getting solid ~50fps, 25 hours no crashes. Had a handful of instances of textures popping in late with hair and foliage but that's it

Venom wrote: »
    Both patches reset a ton of options and keybindings on me.

I know. I did notice it when I died when dodge button didnt work :P Got the settings back to previous but still from 50-60 it droped below 47-50 for me.
    I hope that they will sort out the inventoy soon or someone mod it. That books get on my nerve. Some are in quest tab when other even the quest related in different one... Ffs not to mention the oils and potions. Some quick cast/bind option would be great.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    My own outstanding problem with this game is the god awful parry system in it. I swear to god I've gotten it to work once in 4-5 hours of play.

Parry only works well on humans i find. You can parry basic monster attacks, but i find they tend to stagger me more often than not. I just stick with dodge (double tab direction), as that seems to avoid pretty much everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Headshot wrote: »
    sigh

Im still annoyed by no AMD drivers for the Witcher 3
    I cant wait for the day when I go back to Nvidia. At least with them I wont be waiting on drivers

Pros and cons of both. I went AMD as I don't want to provide support to NVIDIA and their antics in the last few months.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Pros and cons of both. I went AMD as I don't want to provide support to NVIDIA and their antics in the last few months.

Im going to Nvidia when the 980TI's come out :pac:

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »

Nvidia do seem more on the ball driver wise and there tech such as Hairworks and PhysX seem to offer better real world value but their business practices have been way to shady in the past for my liking.

Saying that, Im sick of AMD always being late to the party with drivers :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'm trying to add the game to my Steam library as a non-steam game, but I can't figure out which file is the Witcher inside the GOG Games folder.

Anyone have any ideas?

edit:
    Bloody well found it after about 1 minute after posting.

Lads how does one change the camera view?

Gog says 12% with 1 hour 4 minute play time.

I showed the wife and she beileved it :D

"could have sworn you played it longer"
    "nah computers dont lie"

Playing as an added game via steam so its not copping playtime but is copping achievements.

11212738_896730957033025_2727479193392600948_o.jpg

I just noticed the keybinds for WASD. It's strange times when such basic keybindings have to be from an update. Anyone know when the Linux version of this is going to be available? There's no Linux system requirements on the official storepage. Playing TW3 at 4AM on Linux would just be the grandest thing.

what is WINE like these days for playing games on Linux?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Just heard the old PC Gamer UK lads (Crate and Crowbar podcast) largely slaughtering the combat in this.

Does it suffer from the same wishy-washiness of controls and balance as the previous games then?

Gbear wrote: »
    Just heard the old PC Gamer UK lads (Crate and Crowbar podcast) largely slaughtering the combat in this.

Does it suffer from the same wishy-washiness of controls and balance as the previous games then?

Controls are controllable from what I have played, only issue i would have is if you get over run you are fceked but thats a user issue not a control issue.

I have yet to die from the controls not working or being wonky I have died by being crap and /or allowing myself to be over run. Also allowing yourself to fight in a confined area is also suicide.

You have to install the DLC manually on GOG..... did not know that.....

Gbear wrote: »

It's quite different from the previous two games in combat. It's all about dodging. I just killed a Fiend which had a skull above its name which meant it was well above my level. I died a few times testing out how the combat in this game really works. So, I managed to end it by dodging around it in a circular motion with a single strong sword counter attack. My adrenaline points multiplying my attack damage along with a decent silver sword and I took it down after quite a few minutes... but it was do-able.

It was actually ridiculously easy now that I know its patterns and I could confidently take down another but perhaps with some relic oil on my silver to stop it from going on too long. This seems like that's the case for almost every enemy. Surprisingly only wild dogs and nekkers are actually difficult to fight because there's so many of them and because they attack in such succession even after you dodge and attack them.

A huge tip would be to just back off. Dash back, roll back, use signs, think about your next attack. You should end fights quicker rather than slower but definitely don't rush. Swiftness and caution win every damn fight so I've seen... as long as you know the patterns.

The combat is ridiculously simple when you master this. Just focus on one or two signs and you'll be good. I haven't put a single point into fast or heavy attacks. I let my adrenaline multiplier (2 points into that stat) and my Igni sign (8 points) melt armour and cause burning. Sword does massive damage that way then. I also put a couple of points into Quen because you're going to make at least one mistake during these rhythmic fights, so being able to completely tank one hit is essential especially against higher level stuff or certain enemies that can 1-hit kill (like the Fiend I took down). As long as you don't make the mistakes in succession you'll be able to re-cast your Quen and try again. I also got the alt-casting on Quen so I can actually use enemy attacks to heal me. Nice n' handy, that but doesn't work on huge packs of enemies that will manage to take down the shield and get a few hits in anyway, negating the life you healed and probably putting you at a loss again so it's really only good for smaller packs, slower single-hit attacks or 1v1 fights.

Despite it being quite simple and made-for-gamepad I'm starting to master it on KB/M and am enjoying it. It's the reason I set my graphics to 720p in order to have 60+ fps since timing them dodges is so important. Despite how much better 1080p looks (I switch to it occasionally just to torture myself) I cannot stick with it because of how sluggish the combat and controls become from it.

It's not a great combat system but it's not the worst, either. I'm not complaining because I'm enjoying the rest of the game so much.

• Advertisement

For me the fighting in TW3 is better, more intuitive than for example the one in TW1.
    Just it feels a lot better, of course the system isnt without the flaws like dodgy aiming or not the best pathing for AI but in overall I would say that it is pretty decent. Dodge and counter have to be used properly to work efficiently which is nice, it would be great to see one from Mordor but that could bring to much unbalance to the game. Now it feels good, You have to cautious about what You do.

To be honest I tend to forget about fighting because of the amount of lore, side quests. Just finished the one with Bloody Baron and oh boy...
    The guys from CDR did a great job. If the DLC ones will be like that I think buying the season pass could be a good deal.

I only wait now for mods for UI or fix in the patch. Soon ill have nightmares with books involved.

For me its a 8 out of 10. Small bugs or gameplay issues take that 2 points.

like most of these open world type rpg's the weight limit does my head in so I modded it last night to 9999 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

like most of these open world type rpg's the weight limit does my head in so I modded it last night to 9999 :D

Pfft casual. I ignore any saddle-bags to keep my 60 weight limit. :pac:

I don't mind the weight or the merchants' prices on stuff you sell to them. It all seems reasonably. Keeping a weight limit makes it so that you sell, use, dismantle and craft things at a reasonable pace so you're not hoarding. Most of the mods on nexus seem to be all about these things, though. I'm a little surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭dunworth1

so amd have released the beta version of the witch 3 driver
    which reports
    The Witcher 3 - Wild Hunt : Up to 10% performance increase on single GPU Radeon R9 and R7 Series graphics products

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx

About bloody time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I've just found the enhanced recipe for an oil but had previously found the superior recipe for the same oil yet I still only have the option for crafting the superior version and am unable to craft the enhanced version (I do have the base oil crafted). Is there a way to fix this?

I think it overwrites the previous version. At least that's what happened when i got a higher level bomb. Not 100% sure on that though.

Is the other bomb needed for the mix?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I've just found the enhanced recipe for an oil but had previously found the superior recipe for the same oil yet I still only have the option for crafting the superior version and am unable to craft the enhanced version (I do have the base oil crafted). Is there a way to fix this?
    Kiith wrote: »
    I think it overwrites the previous version. At least that's what happened when i got a higher level bomb. Not 100% sure on that though.
    That happened to me too. I need to craft the superior version of the oil but it needs the regular oil as a componant..... which you cant craft without the recipe. Not sure what to do.

Crafting goes basic, enhanced, superior and master-crafted.

Anyone tried the new AMD 15.5 beta drivers yet? Lot of posts saying AA is screwed up by them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Venom wrote: »
    Crafting goes basic, enhanced, superior and master-crafted.

Anyone tried the new AMD 15.5 beta drivers yet? Lot of posts saying AA is screwed up by them?

I know but the next level is dependent upon having the previous level which I can no longer craft so I'm stuck with the base version.

Edit: Nevermind, it's there now, could've sworn it wasn't there earlier. Maybe I'm just going blind :o

I know but the next level is dependent upon having the previous level which I can no longer craft so I'm stuck with the base version.

Make sure you have the correct mats to make the enhanced version. You could also try dropping the basic version and re-crafting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

Just went through roughly the first hour there. The game looks amazing, I'm basically playing it on Ultra settings (using geforce experience) on a GTX780. I've it set to 30fps though but it seems very smooth bar the strange stuttering I'm getting when on a horse. I'm using the XB1 controller so maybe thats an issue?

Eitherway im really looking forward to getting properly stuck into this :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

So when i bought this i thought i would just get stuck in and not bother with Witcher 1 and 2. Fired it up but got CTD 3 times in an hour so thought id wait for a patch,so much for Nvidia game ready drivers!!

In the mean time decided to fire up Witcher 2. I had played 1 but for many reasons just couldnt get into it. So never got round to playing 2 as i thought i would finish 1 at some stage. Boy was i missing out though,Witcher 2 is awesome:)

Ive decided not to bother with 1 and just play 2 and move onto 3 when im finished. Which wont be too long as ive been glued to it all week.

Got the the latest patches and fired up 3 last night just to see if any of my issues were resolved out of curiosity. Played the first 2 hrs and no CTD so happy about that.
    Have to say i think it looks impressive,surpriseingly at 1440p a single 970 ,albeit over clocked,performs really well. 40-55 fps with a mix of high and ultra settings. Thought i would have to reduce a lot more than i did. Was hard to stop playing it but definitely want to finish 2 before i do.

Anyway,looks like it will be Witcher games for the next few months for me as my main games,pretty happy about that:)

• Advertisement

How to kill a Royal Wyvern. Its kinda shame that this small bugs keep popping up. Game is great but sometimes I feel like there wasn't enough beta testing in it.

VN7By_EFC.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

How to kill a Royal Wyvern. Its kinda shame that this small bugs keep popping up. Game is great but sometimes I feel like there wasn't enough beta testing in it.

You kill them using Witcher sense? That picture tells me nothing thankfully.

Maybe it landed somewhere he's not able to get to?

I've not really experienced any bugs, at least none that have broken quests or anything like that. Geralt occasionally decides to jump for 30 seconds or so after i fast travel, but that's too funny for me to be annoyed :P

mewso wrote: »
    You kill them using Witcher sense? That picture tells me nothing thankfully.

Lol sorry it had to cut the text when I put the image.
    When it flew over the cliff I shoot it with crossbow it fell on to the hill, freezing in one spot. Took more than half of its health thIs way until it decided to fly again.

Lol sorry it had to cut the text when I put the image.
    When it flew over the cliff I shoot it with crossbow it fell on to the hill, freezing in one spot. Took more than half of its health thIs way until it decided to fly again.

Dont shoot them with the crossbow, find a place to fight and bring him to you.

Also pain in the arse getting the loot from them when the body falls.

I have only one bug in a quest atm its a loot quest so no biggie.

• Advertisement
Advertisement