Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Witcher 3 - Wild Hunt [PC Edition]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Dont shoot them with the crossbow, find a place to fight and bring him to you.

Also pain in the arse getting the loot from them when the body falls.

I have only one bug in a quest atm its a loot quest so no biggie.

I was just curious what will happen. Ive waited like 10min and he still was frozen in that spot. Played with him for a while, took me a second to "free" him, had to shoot him from certain angle to move him with shots from crossbow.
    Had similar situation with maybe one or two mobs blocking themself on trees.
    If the story wasnt so good probably I would put in on waiting list.
    Again I feel like betatester, it is a shame that a lot of new games have to go thru this period.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Sadly my witcher 3 playing has ground to a halt. Can't play more than a few minutes before any kind of menu will crash the whole thing. Really annoyed. Waste of a long weekend.

mewso wrote: »
    Sadly my witcher 3 playing has ground to a halt. Can't play more than a few minutes before any kind of menu will crash the whole thing. Really annoyed. Waste of a long weekend.

On Cdproject forum there was few solutions, some ppl did underclock their cpu/gpu. For some it works for some not. Looks like a random factor. Will have to wait for a patch.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

yoshiktk wrote: »
    On Cdproject forum there was few solutions, some ppl did underclock their cpu/gpu. For some it works for some not. Looks like a random factor. Will have to wait for a patch.

Yeah looks like it. I have tried everything and some of the common solutions (unlimited frames, vsync off) seemed to work but since 1.04 nothing seems to solve it. Oh well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

It's a problem alright. And it's not a tiny minority. It's a widespread problem. I wish I had got it on console at this stage but I dont have the heart to start my game again. Too much time invested. So ill just keep saving every 10 steps and reloading 100 times a day when the inexplicable crash happens. :P

At least I can get into the save menu. Thats a saving grace I suppose.

You have an nvidia card by any chance Mewso?

Kirby wrote: »
    It's a problem alright. And it's not a tiny minority. It's a widespread problem. I wish I had got it on console at this stage but I dont have the heart to start my game again. Too much time invested. So ill just keep saving every 10 steps and reloading 100 times a day when the inexplicable crash happens. :P

At least I can get into the save menu. Thats a saving grace I suppose.

You have an nvidia card by any chance Mewso?

No an r9 290. Problem is I got it second hand from dabs on the cheap (used card) so I'm second guessing myself as to whether the card itself is dodgy. It was perfect with GTAV for ages but I just tried playing GTAV now and it crashed after 5 minutes. This is having played it for hours on the same card with no issues although I did flash the bios in my efforts to get Witcher working. So many variables too little time. Might have to bite the bullet and buy a retail card.

530_556af420a6deb_612.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

mewso wrote: »
    No an r9 290. Problem is I got it second hand from dabs on the cheap (used card) so I'm second guessing myself as to whether the card itself is dodgy. It was perfect with GTAV for ages but I just tried playing GTAV now and it crashed after 5 minutes. This is having played it for hours on the same card with no issues although I did flash the bios in my efforts to get Witcher working. So many variables too little time. Might have to bite the bullet and buy a retail card.

Are you using the 15.5 drivers? Lots of unhappy people since they were released hence I'm still using 15.4.

Venom wrote: »
    Are you using the 15.5 drivers? Lots of unhappy people since they were released hence I'm still using 15.4.

I've been through the last stable (14.12?), 15.4 and 15.5 but I might try going back to 15.4 for one last shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,947 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Can't even get past the first village on horseback without the game crashing, have everything on low too!

• Advertisement

ShaneU wrote: »
    Can't even get past the first village on horseback without the game crashing, have everything on low too!

As far I read the graphic settings doesnt matter. Lots of ppl with gtx970 have the issue, I would presume that it should handle the game quite easily. More like some game engine bug, we have to wait and see, maybe monday patch will fix it.
    I really like the game but the more I play it the more I have the feeling it wasnt beta tested properly and we do it now.
    New drivers from Nvidia, 353.06 WHQL .
    For me it boosted performance nicely, around 10fps more with the same settings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Got 2nd CTD in 53h of gametime. Thankfully barely any progress lost but it was weird that it took firefox down with it and temporary disabled my Nvidia drivers. Restored firefox (with all 100+tabs) and the drivers quickly afterwards and worked fine, then.

Fear it might have something to do with shadowplay. I turned it on again to spontaneously shadow-cap webms for sharing around here and some image boards.

Wish the game had an in-built and togglable FPS counter with frame-timings. Warframe and source games have that and it's great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Glebee

Finally got through GTA5 so picked this up. Been messing about with the settings to see what I can milk out of my system. Running a I5-3570, 8GB Ram, GTX 670 and graphics can be a bit choppy. If I let AMD graphics program optimize my settings I can get it running fairly good.Only a couple of hours in but can see the vastness of the game. The ability to only show one quest on the map is a pain in the arse though...

For anyone crashing, try disabling Nvidia HD audio in device manager, and disable Nvidia streaming service. And make sure GeForce experience isn't running. Been playing an hour without a crash now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Lads I bought a gtx 970 but I don't know how to redeem the witcher 3 code for it. Any ideas? Apologies if this is a stupid question, I'm new to pc gaming.

Fakman87 wrote: »
    Lads I bought a gtx 970 but I don't know how to redeem the witcher 3 code for it. Any ideas? Apologies if this is a stupid question, I'm new to pc gaming.

http://www.geforce.com/games-applications/pc-games/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/bundle/code-instructions

For those of you experiencing freezes on NVidia Cards go into the NVidia Control Panel and under Manage 3D settings got to "Program Settings" and select "The Witcher 3" profile. Set the power management mode to "Prefer maximum performance", the preferred NVida setting is Adaptive but apparently either the game or the cards can't cope with that settings and the screen locks up, specifically so in menus.
    haven't had any freezes since I did this and my previous post

I got myself a retail r9 290 and no crashes at all last night so time to RMA my other one. There is definitely some heavy lifting going on in the inventory because you see some slow down when browsing the largest tab (which is invariably all the ingredients). Needs optimizing but looks like the next patch might address it. Can finally get back into the game anyway so thats the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭callumsdad

I ended up ditching my 780amp and getting a 970 to play it.Pls god it runs better.Cant wait to get stuck back in.

Really wish they'd fix the freezing, I'd buy a new card but it's happening to people with 970's too

ShaneU wrote: »
    Really wish they'd fix the freezing, I'd buy a new card but it's happening to people with 970's too
    Playing with 970amp since last night and can't believe the difference.
    Big improvement.

callumsdad wrote: »
    Playing with 970amp since last night and can't believe the difference.
    Big improvement.

Im on 670, quiete happy in overall just the npc/foliage popup irritate me the most.
    Fps seems stable but from one patch to another I have to change the settings to get the same results.
    The crashes look like random factor but a lot of 970's were hit with it.
    They just announced that they sold 4 million copies. Nice score for a game with such small budget compared to other AAA titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

Has anyone tried this on a R9 290x that can comment on its performance?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've a regular 290, and i'm playing it on Ultra at 2560 x 1440. Have a few things turned down to high, and it runs perfectly.

So you'll be grand with a 290x.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

Kiith wrote: »
    I've a regular 290, and i'm playing it on Ultra at 2560 x 1440. Have a few things turned down to high, and it runs perfectly.

So you'll be grand with a 290x.
    Well that's great news, thanks for the heads up! Out of interest, which settings did you turn down? I presume it's things like hair or grass effects and so on?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I think i left hairworks off, and maybe shadows down a bit. Can't remember exactly, but i'll check when i'm home later.

Oh, and whatever this version of ubersampling is.

Christ this game is massive, im never going to see the end of it.

Usually hate using game controllers on the PC but playing this with xbox or PS3 controllor makes it a lot easier to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Vilas

Didn't enjoy the game as much as I'd hoped, over-hyped I must say. Still going to play it for a little while longer, but not if something better comes along.

• Advertisement

Vilas wrote: »
    Didn't enjoy the game as much as I'd hoped, over-hyped I must say. Still going to play it for a little while longer, but not if something better comes along.
    God i couldn't disagree more i taught/think the game is amazing from visuals to music/sound affects.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭TetraxShard

So, with Arkham Knight crashing and stuttering all over the place, it gave me time to dig into the other game I got with my 970.

This is rather brilliant, isn't it? Looks absolutely stunning, the sunlight and the water textures especially. Only an hour or two in but I can feel it getting its' hooks into me. Might have to get in some snacks and dig in for the weekend!

Also, the menu music is SO GOOD!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Also, the menu music is SO GOOD!

The only issue is that it's keeping you from playing the actual game. It's like the BattleToads pause music.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I'm throughly enjoying this, easily one of the best games of the last decade. I played through the Witcher 2 just before this and it's remarkable to see just how far CDPR have come.

Hittiing a bug with this that is causing me to get stuck. Ive saved at a Troll named Bart under a bath house in one of the major cities but everytime I get near end of dialogue section the game quits. Kind of stuck..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

I had a bug in the Kings Gambit mission, where i was supposed to blow barrels up after i chose Cerys over Hjalmar. There were no barrels to blow up blocking the door (in the cellar-I watched it on youtube and there should have been five or six barrels stacked) and she wouldnt follow me out of the room. I then started from an earlier save and when the option came to choose between the two of them, or leave them to their own devices, i chose the later.

The game then wouldn't let me finish the fcuking mission at all, it was just left loose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I had a bug in the Kings Gambit mission, where i was supposed to blow barrels up after i chose Cerys over Hjalmar. There were no barrels to blow up blocking the door (in the cellar-I watched it on youtube and there should have been five or six barrels stacked) and she wouldnt follow me out of the room. I then started from an earlier save and when the option came to choose between the two of them, or leave them to their own devices, i chose the later.

The game then wouldn't let me finish the fcuking mission at all, it was just left loose.
    The barrel thing happened to me before. I wasn't letting me change my sign to blow the barrels away. So I reloaded an earlier save and preselected the sign before the encounter and it worked for me.

OSI wrote: »
    Have a rather fortunate bug where Roach's stamina never depletes while galloping :-/
    The stamina never depletes while galloping on the roads. Only when you go off the beaten track does it start depleting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

The stamina never depletes while galloping on the roads. Only when you go off the beaten track does it start depleting.

Lies.

Lies.
    As long as you auto gallop along the road your stamina NEVER depletes. Never has for me. Once you start directing the horse in any direction, even if you follow the road it then starts to deplete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Holding A on the road is like auto drive, double tapping it and holding is sprint which you use for the races.

2nd one depletes stamina.

I've had occasions where the stamina bar hasn't appeared but regardless he eventually runs out of it. All these things just seem like minor glitches to me. I'm intrigued by the idea that the stamina doesn't run out on auto as I hadn't noticed that and I did use the road auto system many times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

did anyone's account change to 1.07 yet?
    it got a 2.2 gb update today but it is still 1.06 for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

No, my GOG a/c still only shows 1.06 as the latest update.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Skerries wrote: »
    did anyone's account change to 1.07 yet?
    it got a 2.2 gb update today but it is still 1.06 for me

Same happened on steam version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

5uspect wrote: »
    Same happened on steam version.

yeah it was my Steam game, they must be pre-loading it and then release it if no changes are needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Don't think 1.07 is out till next week. That upload was artwork and stuff. If you browse the local content you can view it. Manual, map and stuff.

Lost my save game, 40 hours gone. Dont have the heart to start all ovr again:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Glebee wrote: »
    Lost my save game, 40 hours gone. Dont have the heart to start all ovr again:(
    How did that happen? What about the cloud saves?

• Advertisement

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    How did that happen? What about the cloud saves?

Had an issue with my PC. Only option I had was to reformatt Hard Drive. All my steam saves are safe on the steam cloud but Witcher 3 is on the GOG Galaxy system and does not appear to have cloud saves unless im missing something.

Advertisement