Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Witcher 3 - Wild Hunt [PC Edition]

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Glebee wrote: »
    Had an issue with my PC. Only option I had was to reformatt Hard Drive. All my steam saves are safe on the steam cloud but Witcher 3 is on the GOG Galaxy system and does not appear to have cloud saves unless im missing something.
    I believe so alright. Don't use the GOG client myself but don't think it has cloud saves yet, its on a "wishlist".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

This is really good so far but Alt to Dodge? Its just not possible, are you all playing with 360 controllers or something? Has anyone found a better key binding set up or do you just not use it? Left shift to power attack is a pain in the ass aswell but I suppose Ill get used to it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

360 controller dunno how people can play 3rd person fighting games with KB, how do you diagonal?

Same for Batman, Mordor et all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I use my 360 controller but I have played those types of games before including Batman with M+KB and had no problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Thargor wrote: »
    This is really good so far but Alt to Dodge? Its just not possible, are you all playing with 360 controllers or something? Has anyone found a better key binding set up or do you just not use it? Left shift to power attack is a pain in the ass aswell but I suppose Ill get used to it...

I actually left alt as dodge and am used to it now so I cannot help you there... but I did change strong attack to right click. Feels much more intuitive... having it as a modifier is dumb... I hate that they designed it for gamepads.

That left witcher senses without a bind so I tied it to an extra button on my mouse so if you have something like that make use of it. I'm sure there's some other key on the keyboard you could re-purpose, though.

Now that I think about it... if you have extra buttons on your mouse I'd say don't be shy about binding even more stuff to it, perhaps even dodge if you have enough that are comfortable. Relying mainly on mouse for clutch battle situations seems to feel best.

Now if only double-tap W made horse/boat sprint :pac:

dreamers75 wrote: »
    360 controller dunno how people can play 3rd person fighting games with KB, how do you diagonal?

Same for Batman, Mordor et all.

They're actually quite playable and dare I say even favourable to play with KB/M sometimes. Ever seen someone play Devil may Cry 4 with KB/M? It's a sight (and sound) to behold and they are often just as good as any other enthusiastic player.
    dreamers75 wrote: »
    how do you diagonal?

For WASD it's AW, WD, SD, AS. There's few games that need more accuracy outside of 8-way directional input.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Just double tap the direction you want to dodge. I've mapped my controls after the Witcher 2 with right click for heavy attack, z for Medallion/Witcher senses etc. I've got parry and signs mapped to additional mouse buttons.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Double-tap direction key for dodge. I never use a controller for anything but each to their own.

Yeah I bought a new mouse and mapped eveything to the extra buttons with Right click for power attack aswell. Thought it was worse than the keyboard at first but an hour later it was like Id played the first 20 hours that way, perfect now.

Do I need to do something to level up my casting a bit or does it just come as you level up? Maybe its because I just finished Witcher 2 before starting this but I seemed to use magic way more in that, in this I just cast quen once at the start of a fight then forget about magic after that because it takes so long to recharge its practically pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

Do I need to do something to level up my casting a bit or does it just come as you level up? Maybe its because I just finished Witcher 2 before starting this but I seemed to use magic way more in that, in this I just cast quen once at the start of a fight then forget about magic after that because it takes so long to recharge its practically pointless.

You'll want to increase stamina regeneration by spending points in the Signs skill tree. Each point spent in this tree increases regen by about 1% in combat. Also, under the General skills section, Sun & Stars increases stamina regen at night and Griffin School Training increases it for each piece of medium armour worn. You have to assign these skills to a slot for this to come into effect though.

Ah right thanks, Im wearing Griffin School Armour as is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Moderators Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Azza

Anyone else getting a lot of crashes to desktop since patch 1.08?

I didn't get CTD but had a freeze during a load screen recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Lads is the dualshock 4 supported for this game?

If you have DS4 drivers installed yes it should pick it up but it will use Xbox prompts as usual. I use DS4windows drivers but played this game with KB/M I did see it detect the gamepad though and I once went sailing with the gamepad.

If you have DS4 drivers installed yes it should pick it up but it will use Xbox prompts as usual. I use DS4windows drivers but played this game with KB/M I did see it detect the gamepad though and I once went sailing with the gamepad.

Thanks man, are there any specific ds4 drivers I should download or just google it and download the first ones that come up?

Like I said, DS4Windows. There's also Xinput wrapper. Either one is fine and you'll get a result in the first google search probably. Just don't use motionjoy it's garbage that should be avoided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Glebee

The game only showing one quest at a time on the map is driving me cracked. Any way around it????? Still an amazing game though, im never going to get through it all.

The quests in the Journal are ranked in order of whats closest to you as the crow flies but thats about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

The quests in the Journal are ranked in order of whats closest to you as the crow flies but thats about it.

Damn. This is wrecking my head a good bit. Needs the patience of the Dali Lama really....

• Advertisement

This game is incredible. First single player game I've played on PC. So engrossing.

Not stable at for me since latest update 1.10, crashing every twenty minutes at least.:(

Two things I've noticed since 1.11: The audio seems to have changed and I'm doing way more finishers than before, although I got a better sword so that could be why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I'm liking the rework on the swords/runes that CD:PR did from the latest updates. I was originally (pre-expansion) wondering why my upgraded swords didn't have the runes on them like in the trailers etc previously when you drew your sword and it's nice to see the slight variations on colours of the blades depending on the sword you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Arek

For me the best game.

Mouse/keyboard or xbox controller?

Used to play all my games with mouse and keyboard but picked up a cheap x box controller for the young lad to play the lego games with. Im now converted to x box controller for everything bar first person shooters.

I hated Withcher II and III keyboard mouse right up until I swapped to a gaming mouse with extra bindable keys, then it was bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Arek

Keyboard and mouse

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Keyboard and mouse, but remap the keys.

Really yeah? After playing witcher 2 with kb/m, it seems like it would be better suited to a controller. You don't need any precision accuracy really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Used to play all my games with mouse and keyboard but picked up a cheap x box controller for the young lad to play the lego games with. Im now converted to x box controller for everything bar first person shooters.

yeah anything designed for the console I have been using my xbox controller specifically Dragon Age, Witcher 3 and Mad Max but fps games have been kb/m

Random question: Is there a mod that increases the text size? Kinda misses the point of using a controller if I can't sit back. I can't read the text from a meter away.

Are there any essential mods in general?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I like the Auto Loot one, its handy.

KBM for me as for controls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

The Witcher 3 has picked up the Ultimate Game of the Year at the Golden Joysticks awards.

Well deserved I say, hands down the best game in a long time.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a676589/the-witcher-3-cleans-up-at-the-2015-golden-joystick-awards.html#~psHd9AqIgia5xR

• Advertisement

28% Complete - 90 hours 17 minutes. Im never going to see the end of this game. Starting to get a little bored if im honest..:(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

About 10 hours in and im bored too, this is my third attempt to get stuck into this game ,its just not happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

28% Complete - 90 hours 17 minutes. Im never going to see the end of this game. Starting to get a little bored if im honest..:(

How are you 90 hours in and 28% complete? A lot of time idling?

Sonics2k wrote: »
    How are you 90 hours in and 28% complete? A lot of time idling?

Cost me at least 20 hours when I lost a game save, side quests i guess....

Lads is it typical for performance to drop a fair bit in Novigrad?

I have a 970 and 4690k and with hairworks turned off and shadows turned down from ultra I am getting between 55-60fps normally but in Novigrad it drops a fair bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,713 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Also depends on the weather conditions too

Does hairworks eat up a lot of frames? I haven't really been impressed with the hair with it on

I thought hairworks looked bad. It acts like it's underwater and the brightness stands out way to much from the rest of the environment. It's too clean. Honestly think the default hair looks better.

It does cost performance. Even more so if you have it on for everything so if there's a furry animal around prepare for cinematic™ experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Costs me 8 or 9 frames, i5 with a 290.

Geralts beard does look fantastic with it on imo

I thought hairworks looked bad. It acts like it's underwater and the brightness stands out way to much from the rest of the environment. It's too clean. Honestly think the default hair looks better.

It does cost performance. Even more so if you have it on for everything so if there's a furry animal around prepare for cinematic™ experience.

I tend to agree. I was comparing with hairworks on and off. I've decided to leave it off.

Getting an awful lot of crashes to desktop coming to the end of the DLC. Its making it almost unplayable. Any else get these crashes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Are you running an AMD card and have you upgraded to the latest driver?

Got it completed in the end, despite the crashes it really is an epic game / world. No more Witcher now till next DLC :(

Advertisement