Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leap card for commuting in the city?

• 19-05-2015 7:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Been ages since I've used the Bus Eireann services in the city though am considering using them for regular commuting.

I heard that Leap cards are now supported? Is this working fine without glitches? (never used a Leap card before though heard horror tales of when it was initially rolled out in Dublin). Is it straight forward enough to use?

Normally I'd go for the traditional cardboard monthly pass but Leap fares are supposed to be cheaper? Let's say if I'm making at least 2 trips a day would it be worthwhile to opt for the Leap card over the cardboard monthly pass?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I use it a couple of times a week for single tickets and it works fine. All drivers are well used to it by now.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I use it a couple of times a week for single tickets and it works fine. All drivers are well used to it by now.

Same for me too. I've used mine without an issue.

Only pain about the leap cards is you have to load it before use. It's saved me a few times though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

Alright got a shiny new leap card.

I put the card down on the designated space on the validator then the driver punches in a few buttons on the controller and moves the card off and then back on the validator, presses a few more buttons (I see the travel credit come up) then gives me the all clear to take away the card.

Is this normal? Kind of thought its suppose to be a pretty fluid transaction.:confused:

That's it! Pain in the hole if you ask me. Don't see why they couldn't install the readers outside the drivers compartment and just tag on like in London considering it's a flat fare and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Mr. G wrote: »
    Only pain about the leap cards is you have to load it before use
    Only real pain is that you need to take the bus.

• Advertisement

I've worked in town for the last 8 years and I don't think I've ever taken my car. Bus or walking is much handier than you'd think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

I've worked in town for the last 8 years and I don't think I've ever taken my car. Bus or walking is much handier than you'd think.
    I only started driving 2 years ago. Before that I used to take the bus everywhere. At one point I was taking 8 bus journeys a day!

After seeing people vomiting, covered in blood, with overflowing colostomy bags and inhaling cans of lighter gas on the bus I'll tell you it loses its glamour over time.

I drive everywhere now.

Advertisement