Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics Card + PSU

Options
  • 19-05-2015 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

Hello, has an issue with a drink flying across the room and landing on my computer. Thankfully everything seems to work OK except the Graphics Card, because it shorted out I'm going to replace the PSU too just to be on the safe side.

Here is my current specs:

8GB HyperX RAM
    ASRock Z77 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX
    BitFenix Merc Alpha

Club 3D Radeon HD 7870 XT jokerCard, 2GB GDDR5, DVI, HDMI, 2x Mini DisplayPort
    Looking to potentially get similar or upgrade for this

Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155
    Kingston SSDNow V300 60GB SATA III

Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W
    Again similar or upgrade to this

2x WD Blue 1TB 6Gb's

As per circumstances I don't have a lot put away for this so currently 250 is my budget. I'm not sure if the motherboard was damaged in the process but so far it seems to be working ok, however I'm open to suggestions on a new one that I could upgrade to at a later date. Also my SSD just contains my OS, however I would like to upgrade to a larger one if anyone can recommend somewhere to buy cheap SSD's.

As for now I've been looking at these:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ICUGOP0/ref=gno_cart_title_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GP5Y6J0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

What are your opinions?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Second hand R9 280x or GTX 960 or a new R9 280/270x should fit, can get a 450 or 500w PSU for about €50 from hardwareversand

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Thanks I'll have a look, would 500w be enough for an r9 280?

Yeah loads. 400 would run it but go 500 for future proofing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Can i just add there is an R9 290 on adverts today going for 240 euro which i think is a good price too if you can stretch it a little bit, digital solitude will correct me if im wrong i hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

How did you test the graphics card to see its at fault?

Theres a chance that it may be the PCI slot thats the problem. Can you test the card in a different PC? Or even test the card in one of the other PCI slots in your PC

Most likely the card but theres no harm in trying,a new mobo would be cheaper than a gpu and psu so worth a try

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

EoinHef wrote: »
    How did you test the graphics card to see its at fault?

Theres a chance that it may be the PCI slot thats the problem. Can you test the card in a different PC? Or even test the card in one of the other PCI slots.

Most likely the card but theres no harm in trying,a new mobo would be cheaper than a gpu and psu so worth a try

I tried it in both PCI slots, same result. Computer won't even power on with the card plugged in regardless of the slot :(

jayo26 wrote: »
    Can i just add there is an R9 290 on adverts today going for 240 euro which i think is a good price too if you can stretch it a little bit, digital solitude will correct me if im wrong i hope.

Have I made a name for myself around here now? :p

I agree with jayo. You can breathe now son

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Have I made a name for myself around here now? :p

I agree with jayo. You can breathe now son

Haha you seem like a reasonable voice in a crowded room so ill trust your opinion haha :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Doff wrote: »
    I tried it in both PCI slots, same result. Computer won't even power on with the card plugged in regardless of the slot :(

Cool,just thought it was worth checking.

Advertisement