Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's lightening bricked my ps3!!!

Options
  • 19-05-2015 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭

Had the PS3 on just for spotify today, was in another room and heard the massive clap of thunder and lightening, and it was right overhead. Noticed the music had stopped in the next room, went in and screen was blank.

Everything else electrical in the house is fine, but when I try to boot up the PS3, the green light comes on, but that's it.

If I try and feed a disc in, nothing happens.

Have tried holding the button down for safe mode, but all I get is one beep and it turns off after about 30 seconds.

Has my PS3 been smoted??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

And where does repairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Change the fuse in the plug.

Hi, I've used different leads etc., still no joy.

A reputable repair place, anyone?

Right, repair shop have had it a week and just texted to say it's a goner, sob.

If I buy a second hand one from adverts, and swap out the hard drives, will the new ps3 be able to see the content on that drive? not PS3 store stuff, I think I'll have to redownload that, but movies/photos/mp3s etc. or is that all lost?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

the corpo wrote: »
    Right, repair shop have had it a week and just texted to say it's a goner, sob.

If I buy a second hand one from adverts, and swap out the hard drives, will the new ps3 be able to see the content on that drive? not PS3 store stuff, I think I'll have to redownload that, but movies/photos/mp3s etc. or is that all lost?

IIrc when you put in a HD, it gets formatted.

• Advertisement

bugger!

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Plus id say the hard drive is fried also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭nedd

I wonder could you claim something like this on your Home Insurance? Not sure how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Faker74

nedd wrote: »
    I wonder could you claim something like this on your Home Insurance? Not sure how it works.

I'd imagine the lightening strike would qualify as an act of god and not be covered by many policies.

I enquired about it, and it is covered. However, I'd forgotten I'd have to pay the excess of 250 towards it, which makes it redundant! Also, would affect premium going forward.

Have found a near perfect one on adverts that'll do me, just hoping I can rescue some of the media from the drive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement