Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eczema :(

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

We found that hydromol in the bathwater and cetaphil lotion was the only thing that worked for us. And avoiding overwashing once the eczema was under control. Our little girl is ok now for the most part as long as we keep her skin well moisturised and avoid trigger foods. She has a patch on her chin and neckline at the front though and I wonder if it's down to teething as I can't seem to get rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 lunablau

Macha wrote: »
    Have you tried Eucerin? As an adult who suffers from eczema, it's the only thing that works for me without fail.

Also maybe check if there's anything like wool or your detergent or toiletries like shampoo etc that could be causing it by contact.

Avoiding overly long baths with very hot water should also help.

No, haven't tried Eucerin yet, must check it out and see if it's suitable for babies/children.
    We only bath him every other day, avoid wool and we only use fragrance-free products as well as non-bio detergent. I am also constantly looking for some food allergies but so far there's nothing that I can think of.
    I am telling you, we have tried everything :-(.

Oh, I also found that dropping the fabric conditioner helped, even though it was the supposedly super mild Comfort Pure we were using.

Oh, I also found that dropping the fabric conditioner helped, even though it was the supposedly super mild Comfort Pure we were using.

We don't use it for the same reason..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭PaulM1977

Hi,

We have 3 kids and have had mild cases of eczema with 2 of them, we found MooGoo to be great for their skin. It is an Australian product which is chemical free and is purely for people who suffer from eczema or psoriasis. They have a full range of products for babies up to adults, you can probably find them in your local pharmacy. Check it out on google, I can't recommend it enough.

Thanks,

PaulM

• Advertisement

PaulM1977 wrote: »
    Hi,

We have 3 kids and have had mild cases of eczema with 2 of them, we found MooGoo to be great for their skin. It is an Australian product which is chemical free and is purely for people who suffer from eczema or psoriasis. They have a full range of products for babies up to adults, you can probably find them in your local pharmacy. Check it out on google, I can't recommend it enough.

Thanks,

PaulM

Thanks, Paul.
    Any product in particular that you would recommend? also, does it help with itchiness?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭josip

Just to add to my earlier post on Mustella that it's the Stellatopia Emolient cream we use most as well as the shampoo/soap and there's a bath additive to prevent drying of the skin.
    The product link to the moisturiser is
    http://www.mustela.com/en/content/STELATOPIAr-Moisturizing-cream
    and we've recently ordered another 800ml from
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mustela-Stelatopia-Emollient-Cream-200ml/dp/B00095LIP2
    It won't work for everyone, but the difference it made in our case was incredible. The eczema was getting worse and worse and at an atypical age for eczema according to our GP. We were lucky to get this relatively early in the progression before it got too bad. We had also tried all the over the counters here in Ireland to no avail and only the steroid cream was effective.
    If you want to try some for a few days without having to order over the internet, PM me to arrange; we live in Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭PaulM1977

Hi Lunablau,

We use the Milk Wash for bathtime, the nappy balm when the kids were younger, including our 7 month old. We also used the shampoo and conditioner as well as the suncream and lip balm. We also used the Soothing cream on the dry skin, not sure if it will help with itchiness as our kids never really scratched too much at it before we bought the Moogoo products, but we started using it when our first child had dry patches and it became red and raw-looking. We had tried a couple of other options, never any steroid creams, and it cleared it up very quickly for us after this.

As I say, they are stocked in pharmacies around the country, they can probably tell you which would be the best option for you.

Thanks,

PaulM

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

Just to tell you what worked for us. My son had really severe eczema as a baby. Tried loads of creams but eventually what worked was wet wrapping. We soaked one layer of bandages in warm water and paraffin gel. Put loads of paraffin gel directly on the skin and sparingly used steroid cream on worst patches. Put wet bandages all over his body and then a dry layer over the wet ones. Into his baby gro and those bandages stayed on for 24 hours when we repeated the process. Did this every single day for two months and his skin cleared up. Continued to moisturise him after every shower as he got older. At its worst he looked like he had been burnt his skin was so raw. He now at 8 has the clearest skin. The creams will dry up the eczema but unless you break the scratch cycle the skin never fully heals. The bandages lock in moisture, allow the skin to heal and stop the child from reaching the skin. My brother is a dermatologist and he told me about this technique. It is hard work but it saved us.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

I just spotted this list online that might have something you haven't tried before:

http://www.madeformums.com/reviews-and-shopping/7-best-creams-oils-and-lotions-to-treat-eczema-in-babies/32352.html I see that MooGoo is on there.

I was just advised by a pharmacist today to use this cream: http://www.aderma.co.uk/exomega/emollient-cream. I've only started using it on my 7-week old's eczema today but so far so good.

• Advertisement

Thank you all.
    To my surprise not all pharmacies sell MooGoo products.
    I've finally found one in Bray and staff were really helpful. They recommended the Irritable Skin Balm so let's see how it goes. I am praying to all gods for this to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Some kids grow out of it, others do not... I was one of the latter. It's not going to be a big deal in their lives if it does stick for what it's worth, I get it around my collar bone, sometimes behind my ears, and on my scalp. Sometimes it gets bad and stingy around the collarbone as clothes itch and chaff it, but nothing serious. Having to clean hairbrushes when I get it on the scalp is pretty mank at times, and I guess thankfully I am decent enough with the women folk because it can resemble dandruff.

You should look for betnovate if it becomes an issue though. It'd a prescription steroid cream (looks, feels exactly like sudocreme so don't worry no burning sensation of anything of the sort) and if I get a bad flame up this stuff will kill the itchiness in almost no time and have me back to normal in 2-5 days depending on severity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Hi Mrspostman, it's a bit late for me to read through the entire thread but I was just wondering if you managed to find something that worked for the eczema? My 2yo never had it before but the last couple weeks started coming out with a red blotchy rash on her face. I thought it was just the suncream I was using. But the last couple of days it's gotten so so bad and is all lumpy on both her cheeks and on her hands and knees. It's not dry, more lumpy and red and I'm sure it's infantile eczema (I'm going to go Friday). She's now started scratching like mad and won't sleep as its irritating her so much!

Any tips at all? Did you find anything that worked? We're using aveeno but will get the aveeno dermexa tomorrow. Anything else? Moisturisers etc? It's horrible seeing her like this as she's absolutely destroyed in it :(.

Oh Sligo it's awful isn't it? :( My heart was broke for a while looking for something that worked. I would use something and it would be brilliant for a while but then the eczema would come back worse after a week. Between the eczema and her face rash, I'd say I've spent more on lotions for her in the last 2 years than I spent on my own skincare in the last 10 years :pac:

Thankfully her eczema has almost completely cleared now, apart from her knees which aren't too bad, and some dry skin on her back. What works for us is not using anything susdy on her bar a teeny bit of sensitive shampoo. Also no baby wipes on the face. And the only washing detergent we use is ecover. No fabric conditioner. We put hydromol lotion into her bath water and a teeny bit on a damp washcloth when washing her face. The only moisturiser we have found to work is Cetaphil. We were using the Cetaphil Restoraderm but recently could only get the regular Cetaphil but it seems to be working just as well.

Are you sure it's not something you're using? Suncream is a huge irritant for us, even the special sensitive La Roche one. I only put the suncream on her when absolutely necessary, I found it easier just to keep her covered and in the shade rather than constantly battling flaring eczema.

Also, the aveeno dermexa didn't work for us at all :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Sorry to hear you're still having problems.

One thing to consider is asking your GP for a referral to a dermatologist. I live in a country where you don't need a referral so we went straight to a dermatologist. I was 100% sure my son had eczema (also because I have it myself) and the dermatologist said that no, it's seborrheic dermatitis, although the treatment is similar.

Also on the sunscreen issue, it might be better to go for a mineral sunscreen as the other type has quite a few chemicals. Here's some: http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/fashion/naturally-skin-friendly-sunscreen-1.2229502 But I'm sure there are others.

Advertisement