Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No feedback from the Moderators after reporting inappropriate posts

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

Explain some, please. Because right now we're going around in circles.
    Will you please explain the motivations behind why you have reported posts in the past. It's crucial to helping me understand and secondly, to helping you understand my point.

It is actually you that appears to be going around in circles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

An File wrote: »
    These are not the same thing. Good man for backtracking a little bit, though.
    Does it matter whether I was saying the reporter's motivation is the most important factor or a lesser factor? Why are you saying it is a factor at all?
    Of course now you are saying it isn't, but we can all clearly see you just said it was.
    Backtracking 100% there yourself I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

MrWalsh wrote: »
    I haven't got access to reasons I've reported posts in the past but off the top of my head I know I have reported posts that were homophobic.

That's the rule-breaking reason. I don't want a reason. I want the motivation.
    See, going into a bit more depth on what An File said (and was correct in his assumptions about what I'm trying to do), there are a lot of actual motivations that come into play when a post is reported.

Let's say, for example, you feel incredibly strongly about people who are gay, being completely equal to people who are not gay. You reported a post. Reason was it's homophobic. Motivation: you can't stand homophobia.

Do you know what I am saying?

It has nothing to do with the action taken on a reported post. I was explaining the rationale behind Brutal Deluxe's questions. I assume he's trying to get other posters in this thread to consider their own motivations.
    If the motivation of the reporter has no relevance whatsoever to whether a reported post gets moderated or not, why are you bringing it up here in a thread about moderation?

See, going into a bit more depth on what An File said (and was correct in his assumptions about what I'm trying to do), there are a lot of actual motivations that come into play when a post is reported.

Let's say, for example, you feel incredibly strongly about people who are gay, being completely equal to people who are not gay. You reported a post. Reason was it's homophobic. Motivation: you can't stand homophobia.

And what is your point exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

For homophobia disgust is the motivation.

What difference does it make though? My motivation could just as easily be because I don't like the other poster but a mod would never know that! I could be just as big a homophobe!

For homophobia disgust is the motivation.

Great. Let's keep at it. So for this example, I'll pretend I made a post saying something like "I can't believe they let X couple be on the telly. Sure they're gay. That's wrong to let a gay couple on TV".

Now you report that. You're damn right to report that because it's homophobia (speaking strictly as a mod of AH here; not talking about other forums).

So your motivation is literally "Brutal Deluxe posted something homophobic and that disgusts me. I want it removed/the poster to be punished/something done".

Am I completely right in that statement so far?

Edit: Saw your edit. But let's just focus on am I right in my statement so far for the moment, please.

You're saying you play guess-the-motivation instead of judging reported post purely on whether it needs to be moderated or not.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    If the motivation of the reporter has no relevance whatsoever to whether a reported post gets moderated or not, why are you bringing it up here in a thread about moderation?

Because motivation for reporting plays a significant part in assessing a reporter's desire to see obvious and public consequences for that report.

Moderation is not what's being discussed here. Feedback from moderators to posters is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Is it just me or has this thread opened anyone else's eyes up to the fact there would be a lot less reported posts and need for feedback and dispute forums and everything else if rules were consistently enforced in the same manner - all the time?

I doubt it as I think everyone else has stopped reading at this point.

• Advertisement

So your motivation is literally "Brutal Deluxe posted something homophobic and that disgusts me. I want it removed/the poster to be punished/something done".
    So if somebody calls me an asshole when I report the post you could tell me I'm only trying to get back at him so you won't infract it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Even straw men get tired. Give 'em a rest, like a good chap.

Because motivation for reporting plays a significant part in assessing a reporter's desire to see obvious and public consequences for that report.

Moderation is not what's being discussed here. Feedback from moderators to posters is.
    You're kidding, right?
    Of course a person being insulted is going to be one of the most likely people to report that insult. By your own admission now you're saying the moderation course you choose will depend on who reported it.

Even straw men get tired. Give 'em a rest, like a good chap.
    Stick to the old reliables eh? Cry "strawman" and run for it...

Great. Let's keep at it. So for this example, I'll pretend I made a post saying something like "I can't believe they let X couple be on the telly. Sure they're gay. That's wrong to let a gay couple on TV".

Now you report that. You're damn right to report that because it's homophobia (speaking strictly as a mod of AH here; not talking about other forums).

Am I completely right in that statement so far?

Edit: Saw your edit. But let's just focus on am I right in my statement so far.

Brutal, why don't you just say whatever it is you have to say?

The semantic gymnastics are tedious.

Brutal, why don't you just say whatever it is you have to say?

The semantic gymnastics are tedious.

I'd like to be able to help you understand that motivation behind reporting posts is a major deal?

A post that's homophobic and is reported (remember, in AH), has a very, very high chance of being reported regardless if you report it our of disgust at the content or because you dislike the poster.

On the other hand, a post that breaks no rules and you report it since you dislike someone, has little to no chance of being actioned since it actually breaks no rules.

I'd like to be able to help you understand that motivation behind reporting posts is a major deal?

A post that's homophobic and is reported (remember, in AH), has a very, very high chance of being reported regardless if you report it our of disgust at the content or because you dislike the poster.

On the other hand, a post that breaks no rules and you report it since you dislike someone, has little to no chance of being actioned since it actually breaks no rules.

So?

As mentioned already, wouldn't it be better all round if that was visible?

Stick to the old reliables eh? Cry "strawman" and run for it...

There's little option at this stage. You appear to be about 5 minutes behind everyone else in this thread. Either that or you're deliberately misrepresenting the information being given to you and spinning it to suit your own agenda.

Your points, in summary:
    • the content of the reported post isn't the most important factor if you've decided you don't like the motivations of the guy reporting it
    • You did exactly admit that the motivation of the person reporting a post is taken into consideration.
    • If the motivation of the reporter has no relevance whatsoever to whether a reported post gets moderated or not, why are you bringing it up here in a thread about moderation?
    • You're saying you play guess-the-motivation instead of judging reported post purely on whether it needs to be moderated or not.
    • you're saying the moderation course you choose will depend on who reported it

The actual point being made:

That's all.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I doubt it as I think everyone else has stopped reading at this point.

hardly. This is a long thread by feedback standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Do you have an example or are we still just taking in theory here?

I know the thread has moved on, but here is a feedback thread which highlights what I'm talking about quite well -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057378350

Radio has immediate bans for certain breaches of rules, but discretion was being used regarding moderation.

A couple of mods, maybe c-mods, agreed with OP's point, but nothing ever came of it in the end as OP was banned.

Again, this might not be the right thread for it, as it's kind of a different topic, but the thread had come round to consistency of moderation and appropriate discretion.

I don't really see how zero tolerance of certain breaches and discretion to address and deal with every post according to its merits can work together, as the latter is, by its design, exclusive of the former.

Surely, it is one or the other.

• Advertisement

So?

As mentioned already, wouldn't it be better all round if that was visible?

So?

That's your response to someone trying to actually help you understand why motivation matters? That's how you react when someone tries to help you understand that while something might break a rule, that if you report something out of malice and you only want to be told "yes, they get a card" doesn't help anyone, but the person's ego that reports it?

osarusan, I've never stepped foot in the radio forum and probably never will since I rarely use a radio.

However, even if I did, I couldn't comment since I'm not a mod there.

But, certain things are zero tolerance.
    I'll give you an example right off the fact of how Boards works. No spam. You sign up and advertise your latest company, you get banned. Does that mean you're banned for good? Nope. Means you get a fair chance to understand the rules and if you're genuinely not a spammer, just someone who misunderstood, you get let back in.

Not bizarre at all, really.

Sometimes people report posts for the good of the forum. They might not appreciate people causing hassle and ruining the atmosphere.

Sometimes people are petty, and report stuff the way that annoying kids in classrooms tell on each other. "Miss, he said a bad word! Sir, he's using a biro instead of a pencil!" That kind of silly stuff, reporting just to feel smug about someone else getting in trouble.

Hence the motivation questions, I'd imagine. Intent AND content.
    I'll quote you yet again to easily refute your stock allegations of strawmanning. You are discussing the moderation of posts here, not the public display of the moderation action. Np mention by you at all in this post of what you are now claiming you were talking about all along.

So?

That's your response to someone trying to actually help you understand why motivation matters? That's how you react when someone tries to help you understand that while something might break a rule, that if you report something out of malice and you only want to be told "yes, they get a card" doesn't help anyone, but the person's ego that reports it?

Why are you making it so complicated. If someone reports a post for being homophobic and the post actually IS homophobic, what does it matter what the motivation is? And how can you ever know what the motivation is anyway? At best a mod would be guessing.

If the post is reported as being homophobic and actually isn't homophobic at all and is just a poster having a dig at another poster, then no action is necessary.

osarusan, I've never stepped foot in the radio forum and probably never will since I rarely use a radio.

However, even if I did, I couldn't comment since I'm not a mod there.

i've never been into that forum either, but the thread does highlight my point - they have zero tolerance policy for certain breaches:
    There will be zero tolerance in relation to the following:
    1. As per Nody's earlier warning, no one is to suggest that another poster is in any way associated with Ray D'Arcy or the show - this will be a one month ban for first offence, and more severe bans subsequently (there aren't many more before it's permanent);

Yet the OP was pointing out that certain posts breaching this rule were just being deleted, rather than the posters banned.

If you can't comment, fair enough, but as I said,
    I don't really see how zero tolerance of certain breaches and discretion to address and deal with every post according to its merits can work together, as the latter is, by its design, exclusive of the former.

You are discussing the moderation of posts here, not the public display of the moderation action. Np mention by you at all in this post of what you are now claiming you were talking about all along.

I use the word "report" twice in that post, and the word "motivation" once.

How many times in that post can you see the word "moderation"? How about "cards" or "warnings" or "infractions" or "ban" or "PM"?

Why are you making it so complicated. If someone reports a post for being homophobic and the post actually IS homophobic, what does it matter what the motivation is? And how can you ever know what the motivation is anyway? At best a mod would be guessing.

If the post is reported as being homophobic and actually isn't homophobic at all and is just a poster having a dig at another poster, then no action is necessary.
    And since the person most likely to report personal abuse is the person insulted, how can the mod ever hope to guess whether it is being reported "for the good of the discussion" or for "revenge". And why would it matter either way?
    Is the claim that moderation is sometimes done is secret so people who report posts don't get to see the action because that's all they wanted to see when they reported it? It's not credible.

I agree with the last part. They can't work together.
    But if we take the example of spamming isn't allowed on Boards, what happens when a spammer gets banned and they genuinely didn't know they were breaking the rules?
    I'll link you some threads in the Prison forum if needed but they get forgiven, their ban overturned, etc.

Hopefully you know what I am saying

So?

Was he meant to 'thank' you?

• Advertisement

I agree with the last part. They can't work together.
    But if we take the example of spamming isn't allowed on Boards, what happens when a spammer gets banned and they genuinely didn't know they were breaking the rules?
    I'll link you some threads in the Prison forum if needed but they get forgiven, their ban overturned, etc.

Hopefully you know what I am saying

I know what you are saying.

You are giving examples of how it can work. Sure, it can work.

But are there times when it doesn't? In the thread I linked to, there are examples of mods saying basically 'it is zero tolerance exept when we don't want it to be'. Other mods were on the side of 'if it says zero tolerance, it shouldn't be selectively enforced.'

Again, this thread isn't about zero tolerance,so I'll bow out now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement