Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elevated site

Options
  • 19-05-2015 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

We recently bought a house which is on an elevated site beside a busy road. The gardens are quite mature with a variety of trees ranging from Oak, horse chestnut, ash, mountain ash, beech and a variety of fruit trees and a large quantity of unknown (to me) species. The site is surrounded by a hedge comprising of mainly white thorn with some holly thrown in it is roughly 8Ft high.

ON the road side of our site our house is completely exposed as it is so elevated in relation to the road, what I am looking for is advice on some trees to plant behind the hedge with foliage starting at roughly 10ft high.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 Leo12

Congrats on your home and your garden sounds lovely, great to have a mature garden and as summer comes your unknown plants will hopefully come into bloom so you can google them and find out what they are. For the front of your house I would advise planting native Irish trees and shrubs, such as hawthorn, blackthorn, mountain ash (rowan) and so forth. Not only are these cheaper than foreign plants but because they are native they will establish themselves very quickly and grow well to give you privacy. Also they provide nesting for birds, flowers in spring and berries in autumn to give interest throughout the year. Please don't plant that laurel that everyone seems to plant these days, it's horrible and provides no benefit to native animals or flora, if you plant that you might as well just concrete over it as the birds ignore it. People plant laurel because it's cheap and grows quickly but it's very very boring to look at. Go to your local garden centre and if they are any good they should advise you on good native stock for your garden, best of luck and happy gardening!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

also have a good look around and see what is doing well in your area, its a god starting point, but I love native hedgerows.

as a side note, Beech are not native but if treated as a hedge retain their leaves for most of the winter providing privacy.

IMO it is too late to do any planting of this nature this year. I would wait untill bareroot season starts again in oct/nov. Bareroot will do much better in the longer run than potted plants. You may also find that potted plants are simply bareroot potted up recently and the compost will fall away in your hands.

Advertisement