Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

insomnia

Options
  • 19-05-2015 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

iv been suffering from insomnia for as long as i can remember.even as far bk as when i was a child.iv tried every avenue like relaxation techniques.sleep music deep breaths counting sheep to name but a few.i have finally decided to throw in the towel and take sone sort of sleep tablet.im wondering does anyone have experience of a good sleeping tablet.what about valuim or xanax and how hard are these to get from a doctor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

I feel your pain OP. I'm 42... Have been a chronic insomniac for around 25 years.....totally debalitiating.....have you ever taken sleeping tabs?? The only thing that ever worked for me was and still is....a low dose antidepressant but that is obvisllsy something you need to discuss with your gp. My insomnia was debalitiating and took over my life.....I feel your pain OP....sorry if I'm not much help but do know that there is a solution,...would you consider a short term prescription of sleeping tabs to break the cycle?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Leocolceathrar

Sounds difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭the block

i got prescribed lyrica.fingers crossed.c wat happens

Is that an antidepressant block? Let us know how you get on. I'm sure your gp did speak to you...but just so you know, anti d's can take a week or so to kick in...give it time x

Is that an antidepressant block? Let us know how you get on. I'm sure your gp did speak to you...but just so you know, anti d's can take a week or so to kick in...give it time x

no its actually for anxiety and can also b a painkiller.it contains preggabillin and it seems to be working so far.so i cant complain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭poeticjustice

the block wrote: »

Hi The Block,

Seems a strange choice to me. Have you started taking it? How is it working for you?

I was going to recommend starting with something milder like an over the counter sedating antihistamine and then working up if you needed something stronger.

Xanax and valium are more for anxiety but do have a sedative effect and can work. A lot will depend on the cause of your insomnia too.

The problem with a lot of sleeping tablets is that they can be addictive and long term use can often result in your body getting used to their effects and not working as well anymore. This may lead to you needing an increased dose for the same effect. Also, as soon as you stop taking them, you are often back to square one again. Everyone reacts differently though.

Hope you find a solution though. It sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

the block wrote: »
    I slept for the first time more than 4 hours with lyrica. I know because I'm on a cpap machine and haven't managed more that 2 hours for years. It did take me a while to get used to it.

Great to hear positive results block...how long have you been on it?? Meeting with my GP next Monday....going to try to get mine sorted....have had enough at this stage. Almost crashed my car this morning due to lack of sleep.....enough is enough !!

Great to hear positive results block...how long have you been on it?? Meeting with my GP next Monday....going to try to get mine sorted....have had enough at this stage. Almost crashed my car this morning due to lack of sleep.....enough is enough !!

yes id highly recommend it.it worked almost instantly.bn on it nearly a wk now im feeling like me again for the first time in i dont how long.yes driving is dangerous wen ur wrecked.i wudnt advise it

How long will you be on it The Block?? Great that the gp sympathised and didn't send you packing with a load of meditation apps!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Sorry, deleted because i'm not ready to talk.tried. but mabey later

Advertisement