Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does this seem like a scam?

Options
  • 20-05-2015 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I'm looking for accommodation in Dublin and got this response after making an enquiry on Daft. It seems like a scam to me. What do you think?

"Hello again,

First I have to inform you that the price you will pay for the first month of the rent will be 570 euros and the security deposit of 570 Euros.
    In total you have to pay 1140 euros after which you can move in. You won't pay any other costs.

I am ready to send you the keys, so you can visit and check out the apartment. The handing over of the keys and contract (signed by me), will be carried out by Airbnb ([link to airbnb]). They will also intermediate the money transaction so we can both have a safe and easy experience.

To start the transaction with Airbnb, please send me the following details:

Full name:
    Address:
    City:
    Postal Code:
    Date when you wish to move in the apartment:

Now let me tell you how it works::

After I get all this information, I can go to the Airbnb office and start the transaction.
    Once they have the keys and the documents, they will send you a confirmation email along with payment details for the 1140 euro deposit.

After you make the payment, you must send the bank receipt to Airbnb,for confirmation. Airbnb will review the payment and, if everything is in order, they will deliver the keys and the lease to you within 48 hours.
    You will then be able to check the apartment, and if satisfied, sign the contract and send it back to Airbnb, then move in.
    Of course, if you are not satisfied with the apartment for some reason, Airbnb will give you the money back immediately, and you just need to mail the keys and documents back to Airbnb.

Also, if you have another contract right now, we can make the deal, as I explained it and the apartment will be reserved for you until you're ready to move in.

I'll pay for the services of Airbnb, so there is no cost to you.

I am waiting for your quick response, because there are others
    interested in the apartment, and I need to know if we have an agreement.

Thanks and have a nice day!"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Air BnB do not handle traditional lettings or offer property management services. And if a landlord is using Air BnB then you would have found the ad on Air BnB. Report the ad to daft and certainly don't hand over any money.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,720 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

100% scam, you havn't seen the place or been vetted as not being a lunatic and he is offering it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 RedCaomhaoin

That's what I thought. Did they put up that property as bait or is there a way for them to access email addresses through property put up by other people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Scam ads are all too common these days, especially at peak times like this with students trying to line up accommodation for next year. The key mantra is that if it looks too good to be true, steer clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,363 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Sounds like a new twist on the old escrow account scam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 RedCaomhaoin

Cheers, I'll report it to Daft and go on my merry way. It did sound too good to be true.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Ill bet if you check the link its not actually AirBnB just a similar link

Advertisement