Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Experience with fungus in lens?

• 20-05-2015 4:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I have just discovered fungus in my sigma lens. I live in a very humid area and even though I used the moisture absorbents it still managed to happen.

Does anyone have experience with fungus and what are the best options?

I am tempted to take it apart and clean it myself but not sure if this is a bad idea.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,357 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you haven't dismantled a lens before, it's a very bad idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

It depends on where it is and whether you have the right tools. If it's on the inside of one of the front or rear elements then it should be reasonably easy to unscrew them if you have a lens spanner and clean it out. Anything more and you're into a proper dismantling job which isn't recommended unless you're willing to write off the lens. I've taken apart a few lenses but they were all manual focus primes, an AF zoom would present a much more complicated challenge. Maybe not so much taking it apart, but almost certainly trying to put it back together again :-D

At the very least you should leave it out in the sunshine for a bit to kill the fungus off, or get a strong UV source to (safely) expose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 powerj

Thanks guys. It looks to be on more than just the front lens unfortunately. I will try the sunshine tip and see if I can source a strong UV light. I would chance dismantling anything but my gut is saying leave this one be!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Thedarkb

Is it between the elements?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 powerj

Im not sure but it looks like there is a bit on the next element behind the front lens.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,357 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

several of my lenses have been hit with fungus. wonderful.
    including my 80mm from the hasselblad. i suspect they're not cheap to clean as they're a little bit more complicated inside than your average manual focus lens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭killym

Even if You are able to dismanle the lens the coating will be gone after clearing. It's often not simply worth

• Registered Users Posts: 19 TermoFix

UV light will not clean your lens. You have to disassemble and clean all affected lens groups with special liquid and hope the fungus is not between glued lens group.

Advertisement