Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Someone just took a picture of my license plate?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Could well be looking to rob it.
    Could put your reg into a computer and find out where u live, possibly be able to get a key that matches the car in question and code one.
    If these lads have the technology they can easily do all that and take your car and it'll be shipped off before you even wake up.

An 06 Golf? (no offence OP! Just seems like an awful amount of effort for what you describe as a normal car) The bigger worry there would be why thieves have access to Department of Transport/Gardaí databases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Could put your reg into a computer and find out where u live, possibly be able to get a key that matches the car in question and code one.
    If these lads have the technology they can easily do all that and take your car and it'll be shipped off before you even wake up.

You don't need a photo of the reg. plate to do any of those things - you could just jot down the number on a scrap of paper and get the same results and the driver of the car would never know.

If you were going to rob the car, why go to the trouble of taking a close-up photo of it (short sighted thieves ?!?) and risk (as happened here) being seen by the owner in broad daylight ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

probably intended to clone it, but he'd be mad to now, having been caught rotten.. so I'd say he'll go find another elsewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I doubt he'd be walking off waving and smiling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

domrush wrote: »
    Just parked up in work there and I had someone pull up behind me and take a picture of my license plate? When he saw I spotted him he smiled and waved and then pretended to take pictures of the surrounding area before speeding off.
    I wasn't driving fast/slow and didn't cut anyone off in the preceding drive. Should I be worried?
    jrar wrote: »
    You don't need a photo of the reg. plate to do any of those things - you could just jot down the number on a scrap of paper and get the same results and the driver of the car would never know.

If you were going to rob the car, why go to the trouble of taking a close-up photo of it (short sighted thieves ?!?) and risk (as happened here) being seen by the owner in broad daylight ??
    I doubt he'd be walking off waving and smiling

He could also be the one doing the 'donkey-work' so to speak. He now has his job done for whatever reason that may be.
    Nothing stopping him passing that info onto others though. Nothing.

You have a description of him & his car; the end of the day though, he took a photo in a public place.

Could be something or nothing.

Hopefully nothing comes of this domrush :)
    kerry4sam

kerry4sam wrote: »
    He could also be the one doing the 'donkey-work' so to speak. He now has his job done for whatever reason that may be.
    Nothing stopping him passing that info onto others though. Nothing.

You have a description of him & his car; the end of the day though, he took a photo in a public place.

Could be something or nothing.

Hopefully nothing comes of this domrush :)
    kerry4sam

I think if you were looking for cars to clone it would be much easier to write down the make, model, colour and reg on a piece of paper on top of a news paper than make it obvious snapping reg plates and smiling/waving at the owners :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I think if you were looking for cars to clone it would be much easier to write down the make, model, colour and reg on a piece of paper on top of a news paper than make it obvious snapping reg plates and smiling/waving at the owners :D

Maybe its a special colour or something but even easier is just going online

http://www.carzone.ie/search/result/cars/make/volkswagen/model/golf/min-year/2006/max-year/2006/min-engine-size/1-5/max-engine-size/1-6/limit/30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Who is to say it just ends here though.

They now have a picture of him ; his car ; his place of work. Was he followed there? Do they know where he lives? Do they know the distance between his home & work now? Is the home the actual target and not the car?

Who knows for sure. He started to smile and wave after the op put his attention on them?
    Could well be nothing. Could well be someone getting their morning kicks too :)

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Who is to say it just ends here though.

They now have a picture of him ; his car ; his place of work. Was he followed there? Do they know where he lives? Do they know the distance between his home & work now? Is the home the actual target and not the car?

Who knows for sure. He started to smile and wave after the op put his attention on them?
    Could well be nothing. Could well be someone getting their morning kicks too :)

6b94a5a3492799f22622392eaa882d0c.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Ridiculous thread

Advertisement