Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Car Boot Sale

Options
  • 20-05-2015 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

It has been a while but hows about running a Cycling Car Boot sale on Wednesday 27th of May on the south side of Dublin (last time we used Lamb Doyles - http://www.lambdoyles.com/index.php/contact-us/). I'm looking into a venue today to host it but it would be somewhere in that area. Any major clashes?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I'd be up for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

sounds good, few things to sell.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

How about one on the north side?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

RobFowl wrote: »

too far away

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Where will you hold it and on what day/time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

godtabh wrote: »
    too far away

...from where?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Raam wrote: »
    Where will you hold it and on what day/time?

St. Anns Park on Sunday, June 14th? (Part of Bikefest) What about it Cycling Ireland? All thats needed is a table or two( a few chairs would be nice) .

...from where?

Lamb Doyles

But to be fair given that Ryan_Sherlock is sorting this some one some one from the NS should be sorting one out there as per 07Lapierre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

07Lapierre wrote: »
    St. Anns Park on Sunday, June 14th? (Part of Bikefest) What about it Cycling Ireland? All thats needed is a table or two( a few chairs would be nice) .

Parking is very limited in and around St Anne's Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

nak wrote: »
    Parking is very limited in and around St Anne's Park.

True...its outdoors too..if it rains you might get wet. If its windy the chairs might fall over..the Bikefest is on that day...place will be full of kids!

Any other excuses?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

This is a cool idea. All sorts of bits and bobs to move on. North side for me sure. How many did previous ones need to cater for. How much space? Howth summit car park?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Howth summit car park?

I like the idea :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I'm biased but Balrothery Inn :)

Could get bcmf to run a Hell of the north that day too .......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

I was only thinking this the other day. Would be a great idea. Schools often set aside their parking spaces to.hold car boot sales etc im sure it would be easy enough to set one up. Insurance could be an issue though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'm in, track league is on that night but then, there will always be something. Are you going for Lamb Doyles or looking for somewhere else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Track leage that night and considering how badly attended the last one was, I won't be bothering with the Lamb Doyle one. Maybe Mr Sherlock promoting it would make a difference...

It has been a while but hows about running a Cycling Car Boot sale on Wednesday 27th of May on the south side of Dublin (last time we used Lamb Doyles - http://www.lambdoyles.com/index.php/contact-us/). I'm looking into a venue today to host it but it would be somewhere in that area. Any major clashes?

Any movement or decision Ryan?

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

Still trying to get a venue - it would be 7+ days after things get sorted (proper promo etc.). As someone brought it up, insurance may be an issue to get. Anyone got good ideas/know a place, please mention.

I know some of the vintage car clubs do car boot sales at some of the quieter LUAS car parks on Sunday mornings, but that might be too far away for some people.

Other than that, its a case of asking a local pub with a car park. Lamb Doyles was good as they were open to the idea, just a pity the numbers were not there.

Does anyone have a local that would be open to the idea? Or the quieter car parks in UCD on a Saturday or Sunday?
    Not sure how UCD security would feel about this though.

My work place has a car park in town, so I can ask security would they be OK with it if town looked like it would be a reasonable spot? They may say no of course.

Northside, I mentioned Whitehall Church carpark before.

South side, why not Taylors, they're already cool about MTBers parking there of a Sunday morning.

• Advertisement

Dundrum Methodist Church on Ballinteer Road always have signs up for Car Boot Sales

Dundrum Methodist Church on Ballinteer Road always have signs up for Car Boot Sales

Its 20euro in the gate to bring your car in AFAIK, free to the public, if it wasn't for the price on all of them I would have suggested we just use one of the monthly car boot sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Apparently, you need to be in the queue at 6am on the Saturday morning to get your space too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

I'm biased but Balrothery Inn :)

Could get bcmf to run a Hell of the north that day too .......

Thats a great idea!
    Sure yourself and Beasty could fill up all the sales tables on yer own!

I wasnt suggesting that we tag along to one that already happens but rather use a venue that already has car boot sales on it

I wasnt suggesting that we tag along to one that already happens but rather use a venue that already has car boot sales on it

The Metodist Church has been running var bots there for years and the funds go directly to chairties and the church itself. Fees to sell are high, and even at a "normal" car boot, you're not guaranteed to make any kind of return. They allow cars onthe grass etc, but it's super cramped and not an ideal location and I doubt they'd let people use it for free. The footfall wouldn't make it worth their while.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

bcmf wrote: »
    Sure yourself and Beasty could fill up all the sales tables on yer own!
    My issue would be fitting everything into the boot (which is about 1,800 litres with the seats down)....

.... maybe one morning I should just open up the garage for viewing, with the auction taking placed in the afternoon:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Do ye definitely want to sell bits from the back of your cars? I'm sure someplace like the Bernard Shaw, Twisted Pepper or the Back Page from the Bodytonic guys would open up their event/outdoor areas and be quite happy to have people inside during the day.

Also opens up the market to hipsters that'll grab that 190mm quill stem you bought years ago for no good reason.

And a beer or two.

OldBean wrote: »
    Do ye definitely want to sell bits from the back of your cars? I'm sure someplace like the Bernard Shaw, Twisted Pepper or the Back Page from the Bodytonic guys would open up their event/outdoor areas and be quite happy to have people inside during the day.

Also opens up the market to hipsters that'll grab that 190mm quill stem you bought years ago for no good reason.

And a beer or two.

Are they pubs? If so where?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What sort of numbers are we talking about? does it really need an official car boot sale or just we all happen to park in the same place and have tables!

Advertisement