Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Car Boot Sale

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Leroy42 wrote: »
    What sort of numbers are we talking about? does it really need an official car boot sale or just we all happen to park in the same place and have tables!

That was my feeling, use a quiet public car park. A pub is nice because you can sit around and have a coffee or a beer, and a chat, a cafe would achieve the same.

I will see if my place will let me use the car park, and post up tomorrow, it is in the centre of town, after that, all of the places sound grand. Twisted pepper is to small and awkward to get too if your carrying more than a few tyres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

godtabh wrote: »
    Are they pubs? If so where?

Yep, all pubs - Bernard Shaw is in Portobello, Back Page in Phibsboro and Twister Pepper on Middle Abbey St.

The Back Page is a nice sports bar, show everything and anything along with pizza and good beer, area out the back takes bikes too, Bernard Shaw has a great outdoor area with a bus that... Serves pizza. Bike friendly too as far as I know.

Twisted Pepper has an event space at the back and a very good cafe out front. I always wheel my bike in when I'm going for a coffee, so I doubt there'd be an issue there.

They're a bit more central than some of the other locations mentioned. If it's over the weekend there's free parking around Portobello and Phibsboro, and a Luas pretty much to Twisted Pepper.

They're all run under the Bodytonic group, who'd be the best to have a chat with if ye were interested. They have other locations/projects dotted around too. Nice guys to boot.

The other place I can think of is the Sunday market or the Green Door market in Newmarket Square, but I don't know who's involved in the organisation of either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

OldBean wrote: »
    Yep, all pubs - Bernard Shaw is in Portobello, Back Page in Phibsboro and Twister Pepper on Middle Abbey St.

The Back Page is a nice sports bar, show everything and anything along with pizza and good beer, area out the back takes bikes too, Bernard Shaw has a great outdoor area with a bus that... Serves pizza. Bike friendly too as far as I know.

Twisted Pepper has an event space at the back and a very good cafe out front. I always wheel my bike in when I'm going for a coffee, so I doubt there'd be an issue there.

They're a bit more central than some of the other locations mentioned. If it's over the weekend there's free parking around Portobello and Phibsboro, and a Luas pretty much to Twisted Pepper.

They're all run under the Bodytonic group, who'd be the best to have a chat with if ye were interested. They have other locations/projects dotted around too. Nice guys to boot.

The other place I can think of is the Sunday market or the Green Door market in Newmarket Square, but I don't know who's involved in the organisation of either.

I did markets like those for 3 years. You have to pay for the space in almost all, like the car boots, and you'll be in with other stuff if they're running a normal market. It's hard to shift stuff, you will barely make your table. If you get it for free yeahie, but (and I had a stall in a pub for 3 years) it is very dark inside a pub. You don't realise it but it's hard to actually look at stuff in the darkness of a pub and we all lit our stalls and the pub itself. The Twisted Pepper is poky, but the Shaw might work - take over the beer garden! The Shaw run car boots and markets, and they don't do it for free as far as I remember (may have changed I'm not sure).

Anyway, all theoretical as I'm racing the track league on Wednesday nights! But I have a fair bit of market experience.

If a pub lets you use its car park for free you're golden. Every where in Dublin is cycle-able to everywhere else so where ever it is it'll be pretty handy, if it has parking that gives people more options. Plus it has to accommodate Beasty's stuff. That's 3/4 of the space gone straight off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Yeah, I don't know what the story is with the guys in Newmarket Sq. - Never harm in asking though. I've done stalls before selling everything from chilli to 60's telephones and photos from the 40's, always managed to blag space.

I'd say the Bernard Shaw's beer garden is the best bet too. I'm not sure if they'll charge, there's been events there before where they haven't - Having passing trade when it's usually quiet could be worth more than getting money from stalls.

How big do ye expect it to be? Stalls/wares/people coming to browse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Would there be any point in having a chat with Sundrive / Track Commission and seeing if you could hold the sale at Sundrive during one of the Summer League Nights. There is a bit of space around the pavillion or if it was a nice evening could even hold it out in the centre of the track. I would presume most people would generally only be bringing a couple of boxes of stuff to sell so would be well able to carry the stuff from the car to the track.

An alternative would be to hold it on the day of the Duane Delaney GP (Saturday June 6th) and that would give a bit of time to organise things a bit more if there was enough interest and if the weekend was a better option for some with the added plus of having some racing to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

cunavalos wrote: »
    Would there be any point in having a chat with Sundrive / Track Commission and seeing if you could hold the sale at Sundrive during one of the Summer League Nights. There is a bit of space around the pavillion or if it was a nice evening could even hold it out in the centre of the track. I would presume most people would generally only be bringing a couple of boxes of stuff to sell so would be well able to carry the stuff from the car to the track.

An alternative would be to hold it on the day of the Duane Delaney GP (Saturday June 6th) and that would give a bit of time to organise things a bit more if there was enough interest and if the weekend was a better option for some with the added plus of having some racing to watch.

This won't happen. I have already spoken to the authorities there about it.

Trying to contrl people walking on to the track is pretty difficult as it is tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Thud

Get anywhere with this?
    Is that car park in the Sandyford industrial estate (corner of Benildus Ave and Blackthorn Drive) public or private?
    It's usually pretty empty in the evenings and weekend, thought the missus how to drive there a few years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭mgbgt0_0

Is there any plans for a car boot sale this year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

If anyone would like to organise one I have (almost literally) tons of things for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

Weepsie wrote: »
    Will they help me go up a hill any easier?

If used correctly (and probably often)!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Would Balrothery just off the M1 suit, there is a nice pub with a car park which would be ideal (a sponsor of the Knights at VCB as wekk ;) ) . I have a load of kit too and know others with similar amounts..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

RobFowl wrote: »
    Would Balrothery just off the M1 suit, there is a nice pub with a car park which would be ideal (a sponsor of the Knights at VCB as wekk ;) ) . I have a load of kit too and know others with similar amounts..

That would suit me down to the ground.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Koutobia and I could set it up I'm sure...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

RobFowl wrote: »
    Koutobia and I could set it up I'm sure...

Hmm, that sounds like a plan...:)

koutobia would be happy to esp now I just told him I'd offered his help ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Yeah, I leave the computer to go to the jacks and come back to find out i have been roped in to organising a boot sale....:)

But no problem with me!

If I can do anything buzz me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,034 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Weepsie wrote: »
    Will they help me go up a hill any easier?
    if it weighs tons, probably not.

If I can do anything buzz me
    A trip down to the local inn to speak to the innkeeper will be required!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

koutoubia wrote: »
    Yeah, I leave the computer to go to the jacks and come back to find out i have been roped in to organising a boot sale....:)

But no problem with me!

That'll learn ye to stop your long standing habit of disappearing into the jacks with the laptop...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

koutoubia wrote: »
    A trip down to the local inn to speak to the innkeeper will be required!

Perhaps you should partake in the innkeepers offering whilst there.

Perhaps you should partake in the innkeepers offering whilst there.

Be shocking rude not too....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

What about the point depot or somewhere that is central that will attract more boards members. I know you guys are organising it so its just a suggestion and its not really fair if all the NCD lads get too buy all Ryans gear ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What about the point depot or somewhere that is central that will attract more boards members. I know you guys are organising it so its just a suggestion and its not really fair if all the NCD lads get too buy all Ryans gear ;)

But it needs to be somewhere where we don't have to pay for it, so a car park out of the way is the best option.

Don't worry about NCD, the soccer and rugby guys all survived the harrowing trip across to Croke park for a few years.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,192 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If we have it Northside I may be tempted to clear out the lair.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

How about Smithfield on a Sunday morning, a new market without the horses and shot guns

The last one in Lamb Doyle's was a shocking failure so I think it's NCD and Balrothery's turn to give it a go.

We have a plan and possibly a venue so lets see what we can do :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,192 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The last one in L. Doyle's was a shocking failure
    I can see the problem there......

• Advertisement
Advertisement